iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looks dumb to me

Started by Den Socling, February 22, 2013, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Is this a splitter?

How would you keep the log from twisting?

doctorb

Splitter?  It's an apple corer! ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

It's a screw splitter. Not particularly safe.  The ground hopefully stops the log from rotating, and you push it against the screw, which pulls itself into the wood, and splits it.

Of course if you get the process wrong, the wood twists and squashes your hand....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ely

yes a splitter, i would be more interested in the gumball/peanut machine standing there.

they used to have those splitters bolted to the rear axle on a truck. you jamb the log onto the screw from the side of the log, not the end like a conventional splitter. it should have a piece of steel sticking out on the side that keeps the firewood from spinning. splits by screwing though the side of the piece of firewood.

fuzzybear

I see a capstan or the makings of a Yankee yarder...but that's the tinkerer in me  ;D
fb
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

thecfarm

I've never seen one in use,but saw quite a few on old cars about 20-30 years ago.Never saw one with its own motor. Seem like they have a big one on a skid steer that is run by hyds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bogue Chitto

I saw one at the fair when I was a kid.  It was on the back wheel of a jacked up V.W. Looked dangerous to me at that age. It was a  demonstration.  I think it was for sale.

lowpolyjoe

Looks like it should be on the wheels of a war chariot or something  :D

SwampDonkey

I could see those old Egyptians having chariot wars by seeing how many opponent chariots they could knock the wheels off.  ;D :D :D

Den, do you put your dime in the meter there to start'r up? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bogue Chitto

I think the movie they used "wood splitters" on the chariots was Ben Hur.

SwampDonkey

Maybe even 'Spartacus' with Kirk Douglas.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

r.man

Here is a processor that uses a small screw type splitter and a buzz saw.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5GmQatFeM
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Just watched the video again and I am not sure that it is a rotating screw. It might be an ice pick style post splitter.

beenthere

I've used one, and if there is a bar to keep the block from free spinning, then they work pretty good.
I think there is a bar (behind the wood box) that sticks out from the frame to keep the block from spinning, if placed correctly on the screw tip.
Not so good on a car or truck, as it is all "on your knees" or bending over work.

I like the adaptation of this table in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmMcDJnxSWA
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yellowrosefarm

My brother in law had one on the back of a John Deere 50 tricycle tractor back in the 70's. We split piles of wood with that thang. Seriously, it worked very well and we were young enough then that bending over didn't matter. The cone just fit right on the pto shaft. I'll bet that if you put one on a hydraulic auger head on a Bobcat, you could really go to town.

drobertson

yep uncle Gary has one, still works, runs off the pto, splits them right now, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

blackfoot griz

I have one that bolts up to an 8 lug GM or Ford .  Bolt it on, Jack up the axle crank up the rpm and go.
They do work well, but, they are spooky.  I wouldn't wear gloves or a long sleeved shirt or any clothing that could catch on the screw.

r.man

Even with the table or a bar to help keep it from spinning it looks too basic for me. If it had a rocker table like the first video I might use one.

Den Socling

This was another picture from Jerome. The gumball machine is just another example of the good junk that is sitting everywhere you look.

Corley5

I use mine to break down logs that are too big for the processor.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!