The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Burg Bandsaw?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline bcraw98

• Don't Mess with Texas!
    • Share Post
Burg Bandsaw?
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:46:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to the board, but have been lurking as a guest for several weeks. I'm a Rancher and Forester in NE Texas. On the Forest side we have 450 acres of pine plantation of which 250 acres of we are currently thinning for the first time. JD 260 skidsteer with Dymax 14 inch forestry shear and grapple rake along with  a JD 6310 tractor with homemade grapple and a high school ag shop built log trailer pulled by a Kodiak 4500 truck. We also have about 100 acres of mixed pine/hardwood and 300 acres of hardwoods(oak hickory mix). I'm interested in starting a small sawmill business and selling lumber locally. My primary interest for the sawmill is in the 300 acres of hardwoods which range from prime bottomland timber to fair upland timber.

I have done lots of research on sawmills and my overall preference is the Peterson WP Swingblade(what I really want), but I'm thinking about getting my feet wet by going a cheaper route until I see how it goes. I'm not trying to start another debate on the saws, I'm just going on what I've read , not experience.

This long winded introduction leads me to my question about Burg Bandsaw Mills. http://www.burgbandsawmills.com/ They are having a fall sale and the prices look pretty good. Does anyone have experience with the mills? Any input on this question or the hundreds of others I have is appreciated.

Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

Offline RacinRex

• Full Member x2
  • Farmin', Sawin', Computin'
    • Share Post
Re: Burg Bandsaw?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:39:38 AM »
I took a chance and went with an inexpensive bandmill to get my feet wet and have not been un-happy at all. My experience has been great but the advantage was that the small company I'm using is semi-local to me. It's less than two hours to their shop. The first thing I did was ask for a demo and I met the owner at the shop and he sawed me half a pickuptruck load of semi nice oak and sent me home with it. I measured much of it carefully and sent some of it through my planer.... and with him running the mill.... well I haven't seen better rough cut lumber in my lifetime. Its a 36" gate with donuts for band wheels. It is very simple but it saws straight and has sided an 88x36 barn with some pretty good 7/8 board and batten. 13HP Honda gas motor.  

The owner delivered it helped me set it up and sawed with me for 2 hours the first day. Showed me the ins and outs....

Bottom line...

It works good and continues to work better as I learn how to saw.

on a good day my wife and I can produce about 1100 bd/ft of really nice lumber workin a steady pace.

I can setup and tear down about 20 mins each and its on a trailer.

IT WAS A CHANCE AND I GOT LUCKY!!!!

My .02 worth of advice.

Find someone that is producing a little more local to you than Oregon and check out a few saws before you get anxious and buy one. If you can take a look at where the saws are being built and be critical of the environment they are produced in.
Most of all... have everything else wrapped up when you buy the saw because once you start producing nice looking piles of lumber, it is all you will want to do!!!

Oh yeah and....................... WELCOME TO THE FORESTRY FORUM!!!!
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Offline bcraw98

• Don't Mess with Texas!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »
I appreciate your 2 cents on the subject. I'm a little leary of buying a mill sight unseen. I plan on visiting the folks at Logmaster down in Nacogdoches which is about a 2 hour drive.  I'll definitely come back with a better understanding of band mills since they have manual to full hydraulic.

I find that I'm spending more and more time working in the woods already, but that ain't a bad thing!!!!
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 08:09:47 PM »
Well I'll give ya 2 cents or so.
It sounds like you are planning to cut your own logs and have the equipment to move the logs.
Getting a cheaper manual mill is a great way to get the feel of things. If you get one and set it up stationary you will have a lot less hassel with the mill, but won't be able to got to the logs as easy..... if needed.
The manual mill is just that, manual, or a bit more work. Mine is all manual, and while I'd love to have one with all the hyd., it does cut some nice boards. For me the $$$ just weren't there for a bigger mill. While it does take longer to cut a given log, it can be a bit more fun if doing it as a hobby.
Now if you are planning to make some $$$ cutting logs, you still can with a manual, but I'd REALLY consider a little bit more of a mill then a manual one, or atleast one with a trailer package.

Now I have a ? for you, is your grapple on a boom?
I'd love to see a pic or two.

Offline Gilman

• Senior Member x2
  • !eliforp ym tide ot deen I
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 09:21:52 PM »
Bcraw,
Have you looked into buying a used mill?  If you did buy one and decided you didn't like to saw, you could always sell it for what you paid for it.  You can also get some experience on the used mill and decide from there if you need my hydraulics/automation.  If you decide you do, you can still sell your used mill for what you paid for it.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
burg sawmill

Started by schlep on Sawmills and Milling

39 Replies
Last post July 25, 2021, 01:18:08 PM
by Nebraska
xx
burg sawmill

Started by schlep on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
by r.man
xx
27" bandsaw wheels from old bandsaw, heavy enough for bandmill?

Started by Kelvin on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 05:10:53 PM
by logwalker
xx
poor mans bandsaw mill using 14" bandsaw

Started by steveh2112 on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 09:36:03 PM
by Larry