iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

oljarhead, I have done some pretty dumb things using scissor jacks and hi-lift jacks for lift assist. I bet if you had a hi-lift jack you could have put a chain around the log to the hi-lift and lifted with the jack and hydraulics at the same time and been good to go. Just keep your distance and be ready to jump out of the way. NEVER TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THE HI-LIFT JACK DEATH MACHINE!!!!!

Hilltop366

With a piece of chain or strap I bet that tele lift could have reached out and provided enough assistance to get that log started.

Brucer

For a large diameter softwood log 20' long or less, you can get a good approximation of the diameter at the middle of log by averaging the 2 end diameters.

I wouldn't use a chain or a wire rope to assist with the lift using a machine. You want something with a bit of stretch to it because it will be pretty difficult to match the speed between the machine and the sawmill loader. The stretch in a rope helps to balance the load.

I'd be very careful using a jack. If it slips you could suddenly have your sawmill loader overloaded while the log is suspended. That's a good way to blow cylinder seals and hydraulic lines.

Here's my big PP log. Hand winched up the mill's ramps. I had to do a little chain saw work to clear the blade guide on the first cut.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

OlJarhead

OK this Saturday is scheduled to get that monster log on the mill and it's mates....meanwhile I'm almost done with the wainscoting project!
Milled, planed, dried, jointed, sanded and.... - YouTube
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

I think the blue stan looks ok. But around here customers use it to hold in farm animals. And sell at a lower price, Sometimes I can't give it away.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

LOL I've seen it go for twice what un-stained pine can go for.  Seems it was really cool in the yuppy market for a while, or so I hear.  Us?  We don't really care either way because we love it!  8)

Sometimes I can't get over how nature can do it's thing and come up with amazing beauty out of other peoples farm fence :D 

justallan1

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 31, 2021, 08:26:16 AM
LOL I've seen it go for twice what un-stained pine can go for.  Seems it was really cool in the yuppy market for a while, or so I hear.  Us?  We don't really care either way because we love it!  8)

Sometimes I can't get over how nature can do it's thing and come up with amazing beauty out of other peoples farm fence :D
That's what it like here. I have a couple guys that want nothing but blue pine, while others act like they might catch something from it. :D

OlJarhead

I guess it comes down to preference.  Some just like that  clean white or yellow pine look, some like the patterns and colors that come out with the stain....sometimes it's so awesome it looks like marble!

WDH

Blue pine is one of my biggest sellers.  Here is a blue pine large green egg table one of my customers made. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OlJarhead

terrifictimbersllc

I'll watch the rest of this later. After a minute I couldn't take it, going down to straighten up my shop.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

LOL I have to finish cleaning up mine!  It was pretty crazy -- that's how I am, clean it up, make a big mess, clean it up, make a big mess!  ::) :D ;D

I wish I'd learned how those guys who can make something and NOT make a mess do it, but I haven't learned that one LOL

terrifictimbersllc

Sorry, if yours is a mess then I might just as well give up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

LOL!  :D ;D The video is deceiving!  I had to spend an hour cleaning up (and not even close to done) to get the Jeep into the shop so I can replace the suspension this weekend  8)

I am always moving things around, picking things up, cleaning up loads of sawdust etc....it's a never ending battle but the 900 square feet hides much of the mess ;)

OlJarhead

hi all.

I managed to tackle logzilla but got covid so have been slowly battling this thing for nearly two weeks.

am doing ok but hoping things will improve soon!

VB-Milling

Oh no!  You tackled logzilla WITH covid??? 

That's intense!
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 03, 2021, 10:09:12 AM
I had to spend an hour cleaning up (and not even close to done) to get the Jeep into the shop so I can...
This is basically the story of my life...LOL
HM126

OlJarhead

Quote from: VB-Milling on September 20, 2021, 08:30:11 AM
Oh no!  You tackled logzilla WITH covid???

That's intense!
didn't realize at the time I had it.  was until a couple days later I tested because of cold symptoms (work required) and came up pos

OlJarhead

on a side note, lost a bearing in the under carriage I think. but have been too sick to do anything about it

doc henderson

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 20, 2021, 02:43:06 PM
on a side note, lost a bearing in the under carriage I think. but have been too sick to do anything about it
sorry, with my bad sense of medical humor, I thought you were talkin about something else.  glad you recovering.   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

lol no worries.  

Thanks to America's Frontline Doctors I got some good drugs which turned me around after a 12 day battle that I wasn't winning. 

no fever for more than 12hrs now!  Stull a rough cough but Robitussin seems to help with that and now it's just time I think

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

OlJarhead

Servicing the sawmill with an F35 Flyover! - YouTube
For those bored ;)  But hey, check out that Jet!

Anyway, seems I needed to do something with the bearings under the carriage.  Any of you do anything with them periodically?  I seem to have a bad one now.

OlJarhead

Ordered new carriage bearings for the mill.  Had one fail while milling log zilla (new vid just posted on YT).

hoping to get them replaced this weekend 

OlJarhead

Still haven't gotten the new bearings in but hope to do that this week.  However, I need to make a cabin run on the weekend so no sawmill maintenance then and the following week I need to head to a milling job in the mountains so I better get it done!

I did, however, take on LogZilla a few weeks ago before I tested positive for Covid.  Got it done!
Logzilla - The Rematch! - YouTube

However, I did have a lot of trouble with the bad bearings causing feed issues so I only did the one log and pulled off AGAIN!  If I can get the bearings done soon I can get back and do the other two logs.

Only thing I've had energy for (though I am doing a lot better now) was to take the jeep out for a short run at the dunes to test the new suspension.   8)  It was a good time and I posted a vid of it today.  Good times, but it took a lot out of me to walk around much on the soft sand.  I'll get back into shape but for now it's literally one step at a time!

Thank You Sponsors!