iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Hey Tom!  Didn't realize you were FF member when in the chat!  Thanks joining us.  was a fun way to kick off the weekend and how about that kid!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Old Greenhorn

I'm telling ya, find a way to get him on the payroll!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

OlJarhead

Right!?  He'd pass up Peter and MM by the time he's 9! ha!

OlJarhead

I used to post a lot of pics but now I just do video;)  So here us another from my black locust job ;)
Milling Ugly Black Locust on the Wood Mizer LT40 - YouTube

That log wasn't the best and once we got into it we realized it would make better firewood lol

OlJarhead

One of you recent asked where I post my videos ;)  SO here's my shameless plug ;) :P
The Old Jarhead - YouTube

That's my YouTube channel.  What you will find is that I am honest (some say brutally) about milling and what I do.  I don't hold back and hide mistakes or goof ups!  If I screw up and split the pith (which I am always saying not too do I won't hide it.  I make mistakes and I show them.  I fight with logs, I fall down (yup -- tumbled and rolled with the mill on the way back once and it's in there), let a customer try to push the head back (not intentionally) and the band came off, hit the reverse with the band engaged and lost that band and bandwheel belt etc etc etc -- my wife calls it "sawmilling, it isn't all perfect"...and some have said they like my channel because I'm not hiding stuff and only mill the nicest logs I can find...nope!  I mill crap too! :D  LOL

So, feel free to check it out and of course, I appreciate everyone that does, specially those who subscribe! ;)

I also plug FF often on my channel because if it were not for you all here I'd not have learned how to do what I do and I still learn from you all the time!  Oh and I mention some of you once in a while ;) but you'd have to watch to hear that ;) (MM I think I've mentioned you a few times ;))

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Old Greenhorn

RE: the yoga pant: Just say "NO". I left my other comments on your channel. Nicely done. I dislike like ugly logs, but you forget about how ugly and how long they took when you see the stacked lumber. :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

OlJarhead

LOL it is a running joke with a few of us ;)  YH included!  But don't worry, I'll not be donning anything skin tight!

And yes, those logs always make me cringe!  I always worry I'll drop one off the wrong side or get stuck trying to rotate it etc etc etc....and then there are nails, dirt and rocks!  Sheesh!

However, I'll be back to this spot in October when the weather is cooler!  2 to 3 days of milling black locust might not be too fun LOL but I'll get it done for him anyway and this time I'll have the camper on site so no more driving to and from the job site afterwards!  I'll be able to just relax and enjoy the down time ;)

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

LogRite the toughest CANT hook! #shorts #woodmizer #sawmill #logrite - YouTube
I just had to do this one today  8)

Thanks to FF and @logriteofficial  I've moved a LOT of logs with this little beast of a cant hook (of course you all have too since the idea for it came from here I believe)...I've had mine for ten years (maybe more, I'd have to check) and saw a post about using them on FB and decided to do this one just for fun :D

Old Greenhorn

@Tam-i-am will have to see this one, maybe they will put it up on their page. I have 3 of their hooks, and the mill special is the next one on my list.

OlJarhead

Today's video :)  Happy Friday folks!  I'm off to the can to get the tractor and take it to the repair shop!  But I will also be trying out my new chainsaw!

OPERATING A WOOD MIZER LT40 SAWMILL - Tips and Tricks [9] - YouTube

Peter Drouin

I saw that firewood you put on the mill. I never put things on my mill like that, Good way to break the mill. And if I did, it would be very very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
for the customer. But that's just me. Good video.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Nice vid. One inspiration hit me at the end (Always a dangerous thing ::)) when I saw you stretching to reach some of the flitches on the loading arms to stand up and edge against the cant. (I use a stack of boards instead of a cant because I've had problems with tension bowing the thin cants so when I clamp the last time I don't release till I have sawed everything but I'm sawing more hardwood which does not behave as well as the softwood species you were sawing.) Anyway when I saw you reaching, which is a common problem for me I was thinking "Aha! That looks like an ideal to have a hookaroon to drag those flitches over to stand them up." I may have to make or buy one. I know a guy who is a bit of a hoarder in Mississippi who has a whole collection and should send me and you each one but I'm not holding my breath. (He's too distracted about chasing elk next month with his son and grandsons I think. ;)) Anyway, I can see one in my future as it does seem like it would make the process easier, faster and safer. I had never really thought about what they are used for till watching your video.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yes, the Logrite Hookaroon lives on that side of the sawmill and is used to drag flitches onto the sawmill bed.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

I have and use 3 different hookeroons I use for different purposes. The 30" LogRite I bought back in the spring lives on the mill leaning up against the support leg at the head end and it used to pull the heavier slabs and flitches off when I need two hands, the reach I get with the hook makes it easier to steer slabs.
 You can actually buy those Howard, just a phone call or a couple of clicks. :D ;D

WV Sawmiller

Yes, I know they can be purchased and I know a sponsor here who I am sure makes the best in the industry but I thought with recent birthdays and such "certain" members might be in a particularly benevolent mood and want to send me one. Naaahh - probably not gonna happen (again) :( >:( ::) :D

I have never seen one in use and had really never thought about what they were used for. I guess I thought they were used to turn small cants or such but watching Eric's video and seeing him him stretch to reach for the flitches to be edged, which is just like what I end up doing in many cases, the lightbulb came on and I said to myself "Self, that would he handy use of a hookaroon."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

Sorry guys!  Was at the cabin!  A pickeroon would be awesome specially with my bad back!  Truth is I can normally can get them to slide down onto the deck and the customer stacks them ;) I just help but need a pickeroon  ow :)  .M I just had a birthday ya know!

OlJarhead

Peter you must be referring to that black locust log lol!  What a beast...I'm just a dumb jarhead and can't help but say "ok"

OlJarhead

For those who watch my videos I have a little gift for someone!

I'll be celebrating hitting 1000 subscribers soon (9 to go at this posting) and one of my subscribers (as a thanks to all of you/them) will be winning a rather nice little gift from a great tool maker for sawmills (hint, they are a sponsor here!).

I'll be sharing a video to thank everyone as soon (or shortly after) I hit 1000 subs and in the video all you have to do is comment and you're entered into the drawing!

So thanks to all of you who have subscribed!  (by the time the video drops -- I'll give some time in it to enter)
Can't wait to give this gem away! (and maybe a few other items while I'm at it!)....

Old Greenhorn

I assumed I had subscribed because I watch them all, but turns out, I wasn't. Just fixed that. ;D

jpassardi

Been meaning to check out your channel.  - you only have 7 to go now.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!