iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How dumb can I be? VERY!

Started by tmbrcruiser, April 11, 2017, 10:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmbrcruiser

Was having a great day sawing cypress and was down to the last log for the day. I now know how to flip a log off the back side of the mill on to the floor where the loader can't go. I had almost squared the log and was turning the timber to clean up the first face. Pulling the timber (14"x24"x12') back from the fences with the log turner and as I raised the timber my mind drifted for a second then wham it was on the floor. After two hours I also know how to get a timber back on the mill.

Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

killamplanes

Not to one up you but I have to tackle a 21ft white oak I flipped over the deck just before dark. The small end 18 inch. It's stuck between the mill and slab pile. Luckily I've got a boom truck I just have to go get it from the timber tommorrow and pluck it out of there. My forklift can't reach it either. Must be a full moon.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

paul case

I first thought it looked nice there until I read what you did.

Dont feel bad. I flipped a whole log over the backstops all the way up the other day. Oh, I was on the skid steer and got my gee and haw mixed up.

If you leave that new cant deck there put some stops on it so you dont have this problem again.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Larry

When I tried that trick I broke about a dozen straps on the top of the energy chain.  Those things are not cheap.

I noticed in your pictures it was light with the cant on the floor but dark in the next picture and you still hadn't got it back on the mill. :D  Its all fun. :)

Tomorrow will be a better day.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fishfighter

#2 reason as to why I will be installing a trolley/winch system over head in my mill shed. :D

ladylake

Those mistakes show up at the end of the when your getting tired.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Happened to me once, at least no one was around to see it. There was a small excavator on site with a thumb, problem solved. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

Screw-ups allow us to get clever to get around them. Ask me how I know ;)
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

4x4American

One thing you can do is make a couple dollys so all you have to do is get it up onto them and then roll it around the mill until you get it where you can reach it with the loader. One thing is for sure, it's probably going to happen again lol
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Wow! That's amazing! I didn't know that you could roll a log or cant off of a mill. :D

Glad you were able to get it back in place. (I was lucky when I rolled my first log across my mill that it was fairly small and able to get back on with much extra equipment. ;) ;)) Glad nobody was hurt. It happens. Kind of like sawing into clamps, leaving toe boards up and making long wedges, etc.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

I confess this has happened to me more than once over the years.
al glenn

paul case

Where is MM?

I thought he might have something to say here.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

york

Why,i would never set up a mill,against a wall,need to be open on both sides....
Albert

47sawdust

Yep!,I know how to do that as well.After the original deflated feeling,it was,"what are you gonna do now,bonehead?"
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

PC, I have no idea what this is all about and have nothing to say.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WLC

Did exactly the same thing last week.  Looked like Magicmans pic except for log species.  I was able to lift it back on the mill with the tractor forks and a chain.  Amazing how that happens when you forget to put up the backstops. And it happens in slow motion.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

fishfighter

Quote from: kelLOGg on April 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM
Screw-ups allow us to get clever to get around them. Ask me how I know ;)
Bob

Well, I still haven't learn how to cut thru a backstop and not crash a blade. :D

Rhodemont

After reading these follies glad to know I am not as dumb as I thought.  Was turning a big oak log with the hydraulics and managed to raise the hold during the operation and flipped the log right up over the stops.  Come to think of it, it was the last log just getting dark.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

WDH

:) :) :)

At least I could get to it with the tractor  :-\. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Yup, shows to go, those logs like to get frisky as the sun goes down.
;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

bandmiller2

If all else fails cut the cant up for blocking or log to firewood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GDinMaine

This was the last log of that job.

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Larch

The pain!  The pain!  All these pictures bring back some really bad memories.

petefrom bearswamp

Glad to see that FF members arent afraid to admit their blunders.
I have made too many to mention.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dieseltim

Tmbrcruiser,

I know it might just be the way the picture was taken,  but it looks like you could have hooked a chain on it and pulled it under the mill. Might have been quicker.

Thank You Sponsors!