The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Riehl board edger  (Read 6172 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Riehl board edger
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2021, 03:53:05 PM »
Check out Cooks too.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »
Don't let cost make you choose one .
Wait and save for one you like .
DanG right.  Excellent advice.
Get the one you want that best fits your needs the first time, or you will be getting it the second time around.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won’t roll, its not a log; it’s still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they’re burned, and you can’t fix them.  Don’t burn the cookies.

Online longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2021, 10:28:18 PM »
This morning a guy called me discussing some equipment he was looking for, and said to me you got to crawl before you can walk.
My response was if you only buy equipment that will help you crawl, you'll be forever on your knees.

You buy equipment to make money, not buy equipment to save it. In my experience the right machine is always a stretch, and always pays itself off first. 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Online customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2021, 06:18:35 AM »
I will say this about edgers. I have had Morgan, 2 Cooks, WoodMizer and now a Baker. There are things about each machine that I liked and there are things that I don't like about each one.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2021, 07:48:55 AM »
The main thing is that each edger brand and model is different, but they all do a few things no matter what brand or model. 

At a minimum, an edger should cut straight and be easy to use.  It should “want” to cut straight, with a minimum of user effort.  

It should be designed to last for decades, should clear chips easily, and not need fiddling or adjusting for very long periods of time.  The blades should be easy to change, but should last for a very long time.   

It should be able to run a variety of materials and thicknesses at a reasonable speed.  As with most machines, horsepower is king.   

It should be a benefit to the user’s operation, should make things easier, and should fall under the category of “take steps to save steps.”

A good edger is almost “too easy” and when we edge for customers real time, we bring in their wood on a pallet at the front of the edger, they park their vehicle at the tail of the edger out-feed staging table, and we edge as fast as they can load the boards.  In this case, our edger makes us money because we charge an edging fee, as do most lumber companies.  

Here is a link to an edging video we made a little while ago.  The min thing is to notice how easy edging should be, how I’m not having to hold or guide the boards to keep them straight, and how little effort it is.  We had this edger running at a moderate speed, simply because that’s where I like to run it, based on how fast I want to feed it.  Also, blade life increases as the board feed rate slows down.  It will go about 80 feet per second through 3” thick red oak, but I don’t run it there.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won’t roll, its not a log; it’s still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they’re burned, and you can’t fix them.  Don’t burn the cookies.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 07:51:24 AM »
I have seen the Riehl edger. It is light and really small but well made and a proven design. What most guys who talk here need is not affordable. There is no limit to edgers, the bigger the better. The more feed rolls the better. The bigger the mandrel the better, like 3" plus. A hydrostatic variable feed and cross chains or some very easy way to position boards and then of course a tailer to drop the sticks and take away the boards. $$$

Offline boonesyard

• I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
I'm going through the same conundrum. It's time to add an edger and I've been looking at all the makes. Semi portable is good, gas or diesel driven will be required, a huge capacity commercial machine will not be necessary. Cooks, Baker, Woodmizer, Reihl, been looking at them for some time. Finding a good used machine right now is just not gonna happen, been watching for quit a while. I landed on new, but every manufacturer is WAY out on delivery, middle to end of next year. Also, in my wee little brain, I'm thinkin that with the amount of mills (and probably edgers) that have been sold in the last 18 months, there might be some good buys on fresh used stuff in about the same time frame.

I know it's tuff to speculate, but with the supply chain the way it is, some of that is required say_what. Like a good mill, buy once/cry once. 
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
board edger

Started by naturewalk789 on General Board

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 12:14:27 PM
by naturewalk789
xx
board edger

Started by paul_bunyan on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 03:36:23 PM
by flip