iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Dust Addiction

Started by SawyerTed, January 26, 2018, 08:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

WV, Too far past level and you can actually overcome the head weight causing it to rock.  You never want to reach that point.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman -

If you mean rocking front to back I actually use that to my advantage when hitching or un hitching the mill.  I will set the rear outrigger so it is about 8 - 10" off the ground, have the safety chains hooked to the hitch, then slowly roll the head back until right before she rocks, basically at balance point.  Then I can easily swing the hitch onto the ball that last 1" that becomes so troublesome at times to get squared to when working alone.    It also allows me to drop the front outrigger and just roll the head back a bit so I can look to see if I need to raise it up or lower it down when setting up.  Makes for a whole lot less prying with the chrome rod.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SSL,

Many of us have learned from that trick to be sure to leave the rear landing gear at least part way down unless you want to see the tongue of the mill about 10' up in the air (Don't ask me how I know that  :D).

Yes, you can shift the weight when hooking and unhooking but when sawing and leaving overnight you want the landing gear solidly in contact with the ground IMHO.

When I am hooking up by myself I put a shovel. long sticker or cant hook against the tip of the tongue and back up until I shake or knock it over when I hit it with the ball on my hitch. Shifting the mill left or right to put it on the ball is much easier than moving it forward or backwards, especially if you have several inches of sawdust built up under the wheels. Also I make sure the ball is a few inches higher than the hitch on the mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Yea - my mill did the sky gazing thing once too.  On a good note that makes it a lot easier to clean all those hard to reach places from the bottom!!!   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

Chainsaw, wedges, some small wood wedges like 1/8 or 3/16th wedges, and maybe some 1/2 inches too.  Dust brush, paint scraper, Small level, Some short pieces of 2x4, Some 5 gallon buckets, some garbage cans from dust and a dolly to move them.  Axe, bark spud, 6" Makita power planer, hand plane like a no 5.  Framing square, lumber crayon, Dixon makes holders for lumber crayons too at lowes.  Metal/nail removal tools - cordless drill with 1/8" bits ( I like the black Ace brand).  A crescent/Apex nail puller available on Amazon.  A couple sizes of cats paws.  Awl, metal detector.  I like the Garrett hand held wand. Hammer, and a 1/2 inch cheapie chisel.  I have a rubbermaid rolling cart that I keep my tools on, but then I mill inside on concrete.  A tool I don't own yet but want is a bark removal tool for the chainsaw like the log wizard or maybe the kind for an angle grinder.  The dolly will also help you go fill your water jug on the mill.   I also keep a short 3ft ladder on hand because my water and fuel are high up on the LT15go.  You may need it for using the axe on the log on the mill sometimes.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

starmac

It doesn't take but once on that sky gazing thing to remember to leave the back leg partially down. I did that the first day, and just knew the head wasn't going to stop when it reached the end of the mill.
the wedges is always a good idea, as sooner than later you will run out of gas in the middle of a cut and NEED them, I too keep a step ladder. I have never cut any yard trees, so have never needed any nail pullers or metal detectors yet.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

SawyerTed

Brad, thank you.  There's been a lot of great advice, your's included. 

I'm getting my list together.  I have a couple of extra truck toolboxes I'm thinking of using to secure the tools.  I might just pick up an old work truck or older suburban as a sawmill vehicle.  For small money I can preserve my "good" truck and have my tools wherever the mill goes.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

starmac

You may laugh at one of my tools I hope to never have to do without again. It is a cordless milwaukii blower, I am sure other brands would work just as well.
My wife bought me this after seeing me use my air compressor to clean the mill, I can blow the mill clean in a matter of seconds or blow the sawdust off a 12 foot board from one end. If it went belly up tomorrow, I would have to get another one.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Southside

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 28, 2018, 10:22:37 PM
I might just pick up an old work truck or older suburban as a sawmill vehicle.  For small money I can preserve my "good" truck and have my tools wherever the mill goes.

Folks - he's worse than we thought - the disease is progressing faster than expected!!  Next thing we know he will be asking about support equipment - then buy an edger, a kiln will show up before too long.... I am afraid there is no hope.   :D :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside logger on January 28, 2018, 11:09:31 PM
I might just pick up an old work truck or older suburban as a sawmill vehicle.  For small money I can preserve my "good" truck and have my tools wherever the mill goes.

Folks - he's worse than we thought - the disease is progressing faster than expected!!  Next thing we know he will be asking about support equipment - then buy an edger, a kiln will show up before too long.... I am afraid there is no hope.   :D :D

:D :D I also have Fishing Pox....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

red

Quote from: Southside on January 28, 2018, 11:09:31 PM
I might just pick up an old work truck or older suburban as a sawmill vehicle.  For small money I can preserve my "good" truck and have my tools wherever the mill goes.

Folks - he's worse than we thought - the disease is progressing faster than expected!!  Next thing we know he will be asking about support equipment - then buy an edger, a kiln will show up before too long.... I am afraid there is no hope.   :D :D
Yes the addiction has progressed ! 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

trimguy

Quote from: Southside on January 28, 2018, 11:09:31 PM
I might just pick up an old work truck or older suburban as a sawmill vehicle.  For small money I can preserve my "good" truck and have my tools wherever the mill goes.

Folks - he's worse than we thought - the disease is progressing faster than expected!!  Next thing we know he will be asking about support equipment - then buy an edger, a kiln will show up before too long.... I am afraid there is no hope.   :D :D

This was from 2018, yes @southside was right !! Look at him now , Lt50 on order , working on/ with a large wood products company , with a commercial sawmill in mind. 😂

Nebraska

One could probably could do a case study report on the effects of S.A.D. from just   this one case....:P
From chainsaw all the way to mill upgrades and commercial  sawmill management.  :)

Southside

I wonder if his previous infection with fishpox weakened his immune system and made him more susceptible to the disease?  ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

:D :D Fishing Pox and S.A.D. are slippery slopes.  Neither has a cure all that can be done is periodic therapies. :D :D

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Nebraska on May 17, 2022, 07:35:04 AM
One could probably could do a case study report on the effects of S.A.D. from just   this one case....:P
From chainsaw all the way to mill upgrades and commercial  sawmill management.  :)
Yup. He has one of the worst cases I've seen.   We can only hope he doesn't end up mortgaging the home place to buy a thousand acres of timber land.  There would be no coming back from that.   :D
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Nebraska

Put a new floor in my boat this winter.  I feel the pox acting up. Going to try some Catfish therapy this weekend, maybe a full on Walleye treatment is in order. 🤔 

beenthere

QuoteFishing Pox and S.A.D. are slippery slopes.

Got the fishing pox, but not the S.A.D.  ??  or is that SDA?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerTed

Sawdust Addiction Disorder....

Poquo

I suffer from both! No cure just treatments whenever needed.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Thank You Sponsors!