iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Fawns

Started by Ron Scott, June 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My single fawn came back yesterday and crawled through the gate about 30 yards from my porch then bedded down in the tall weeds 6' inside the pasture. This afternoon I was looking through my log pile for a maple log to saw to test my recent mill repairs and a fawn, I assume the same one, jumped up out of them from about 6' away.

To top it off yesterday morning I heard a turkey hen clucking and putting and found her in a good sized ash tree I had cut down in the pasture a couple hundred yards from the house but had not cut up yet. My wife got a few pictures of her before she flew down. Then in the afternoon I looked up and found a big blue heron in the same tree at the same spot. I have no idea what the heron was doing there as the creek in the front yard was several hundred yards away. I even walked out on the porch last week and had a coon on the porch trying to steal Sampson's food. At least it is never boring around here and we never know what we will see next.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bibbyman

I've been trying to reduce the groundhowg population around our outbuildings.  Yesterday I kicked up two fawns on the old sawdust pile. I couldn't have gotten my cellphone out in time to get pictures.  On this morning's sufari, I set my rifle aside and got my phone cranked up.  Sure enough, the two were camping out there. 

Fawns July 2019 - YouTube
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WV Sawmiller

Bibby,

Good to hear from you. I like the video. I love watching the deer run off waving that flag from side to side like that.

I have one doe with twins and another with a single fawn we see almost every day. Wife watched the twins racing and jumping in the pasture the other day and a couple days I watched the single fawn racing back and forth across one of the clearings in my pasture
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

smiley_wavy good to see your post, I hope all is well with you two.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 17, 2019, 07:05:11 PM
smiley_wavy good to see your post, I hope all is well with you two.
We've been enjoying retirement.   Besides some "day trips", we've been active in Cowboy Action Shooting.   I've been doing some restoration of old guns.  We still have the mill and all the equipment but probably not made but a couple of bushels of sawdust in past 4 years. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Yes,good to hear from you. Glad you two are enjoying not sawing. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Bib, now you can just kick the saw dust to flush the deer. ;D

I think we have one doe left around here out of the usual 3. One got ran over last fall and one got ate this summer I think. Never been in the carrots yet anyway. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well, the one surviving doe brought her fawn out into the field this morning. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

I used to have a big mongrel dog who was a tough girl. I let her out one day for a pee break and as she came back toward the house she turned and went into some thick cover. Within seconds I heard her yelp and she came out and back to the house with an irate doe hot on her heels that chased her all the way up by the garage before going back to her fawn. After that the deer could come in the yard and the dog made no attempt to bother them. I'll bet some does are kicking some of the coyotes as well. The dog was limping for a couple of days.

Jeff

My sister and i witnessed a big doe running off a coyote. Not likely to run off a wolf or bear or cougar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

~Ron

Peter Drouin

smiley_thumbsup  She must be coming, there all looking one way.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

I see three fawns in my pasture almost daily. I think they are twins and a single and sometimes one mom has all 3 babysitting them. The old one might be the twins mom and grandmother of the single. At times you will see all 3 nursing from the same doe. The fawns all look big this year and and I am seeing very small does walking around with large fawns. Not sure if it is the mom or just a big sister babysitting them.

After dark I took 2 watermelon rinds up and tossed out by the gate for the horse and mule. I got up this morning and spotted a big white spot below the gate and thought maybe it was a big mushroom that had sprouted overnight. I walked up to check and found the deer found the rinds before the horse and mule and had eaten all the red out and pushed the rind under the fence and down the hill. One rind had even been pushed against the yard fence about 10' from where Sampson was sleeping in his doghouse. I don't think he even barks at them.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Almost as bad as my wife's dog pumpkin. I was on the tractor and she was with me. She ran up to deer deer barking and they just stood there. Pumpkin did not know what to do,so she came back to me.  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

cfarm,

At least your wife's dog tries to chase them. It isn't her fault they won't cooperate.
Howard Green

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Nice picture of the critters!!
I probably saw just about the same size "fawns" when we went for a ride. I suppose we saw MaMa first.Looked like she had twins.

SwampDonkey

Ron Scott

Learning from Mom!

~Ron

stavebuyer

Walnut Beast

Nice pictures guys 👍

SwampDonkey

I saw one fawn recently that was almost as big as the doe, she was some small.

WV Sawmiller

I have seen several spotted fawns this summer that I bet would weigh 50 lbs or so already. I assume they were early, single fawns.
Howard Green

Ron Scott

More than one!

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!