iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whole hog!

Started by doc henderson, May 18, 2020, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Meat that is allowed to freeze will dry out on the margins, same as freezer burn
Too many irons in the fire

Tom K

While true, anyone who's been cutting meat more than a few days should know the difference between freezer burn and frost bite.

If this guy misspoke and it was freezer burn that would bring up another group of questions for me. If he couldn't keep his garage warm enough for the meat not to freeze then he probably didn't have running water out there either.

aigheadish

It's entirely possible (likely) that I am misspeaking as well. I just know there was a pretty big pile of pig, with meat on, laying in a pile that he wasn't comfortable including in the mix. From what he said the pigs were killed and butchered within the same day or two but I don't know what is real or normal. 

The sausage is seasoned, lightly, from what I can tell. So far I've only tried the one he called his salt and pepper mix. There's another mild and another hot that I haven't tried out yet, and it sounded like a fairly standard mix of ingredients. 

The pork chops I made on the grill didn't make me sick, so I'll share this story... They turned out pretty rare. They were hot, and I assume reached temperature, but they were pretty pink inside and very chewy. The 2nd one I recooked out of the fridge and it did better and turned more white like I would expect. You say cooked like a steak? I cook a steak pretty quickly but went just a bit beyond with the chop like you are saying. I assume it shouldn't be pink inside and that most of what I was cooking was just the fat, of which there was a fair amount. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Mooseherder

Great explanation on processing from these guys.  His string tying technique needs work though.   :laugh:

How to Butcher a Pig | ENTIRE BREAKDOWN | Step by Step by the Bearded Butchers! - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!