iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Purchase

Started by LazarusKnudson, December 06, 2016, 02:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LazarusKnudson

Hi all! I am doing research for my first chainsaw purchase, and I am looking for input. I have decided to go with Jonsered. I am going to be felling and bucking timber for firewood and construction. I am going to be using an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill for dimensioning, on the website it says that a saw with 60cc or more is required. Would a saw with 59.8cc be acceptable? Such as the 2258/2260. I would rather not buy a saw that is underpowered. Or should I lean towards the 2166/2172?

DelawhereJoe

Personally I'd go for nothing smaller then the 70cc if your gonna do milling too. Have you looked at the 2188 yet, more cc's for milling.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum.  :) When milling more is better and too much is just enough. However, the trade off is weight. The 2188 is going to get mighty heavy at the end of the day unless you regularly need it with a long bar for big timber. If you let us know where you are and what you expect to be cutting, we might be able to give you more informed answers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LazarusKnudson

I am in PNW Oregon. Felling mostly Fir, probably nothing over 26", though I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

celliott

For what you want to do, you really should have two saws... You're right, the 2258\2260 would be about perfect for felling and bucking and all around use, but I fear it would not last long on an alaskan mill. You want the most displacement you can get to run a mill. 2188, 395xp, 3120 territory. Yes, the 60cc saw will work, but you'll be taxing it quite a bit.
A 2172 would probably be your best bet IF you're only gonna have one saw and still need to mill.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

HolmenTree

Quote from: LazarusKnudson on December 06, 2016, 04:26:40 PM
I am in PNW Oregon. Felling mostly Fir, probably nothing over 26", though I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Fir 26" and under .....the 60cc Jonsered with a 20" b/c is all you need.
Buy the smallest 24" Alaskan mill and your set.
With a 24" b/c you can still logs in the 30"+ diameter with enough slabs cut off.

But this is key:  Run .325 chisel chain like the Stihl 23RS  with a 7 pin rim sprocket which is a small 7 spline clutch drum and sprocket .
Not sure about theses Jonsereds but it might already be small 7 spline.
My 562 XP was large 7 spline but I converted to run the small spline 7 pin .325 rim.
Sharpen your cutter top plates to 10°degree.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!