iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Foundation" for a timber frame shed

Started by ohsoloco, November 30, 2007, 07:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I've been thinking about this for a while, and wanted some opinions on whether or not this would work okay.  I want to build a shed for my skid loader, and would really like to build a timber frame shed like the one in Jack Sobon's book...the 12x16 footer. 

Where I'll end up putting it, I will put the opening on the gable end, so I'll make a few height modifications so it will clear the girts.  Anyway, I don't want to make a foundation for it, mainly because of the time, and I also don't think the timber framed floor would support a 7,000 lb machine.  So, I thought I could just get 5 16' pressure treated 6x6's, and then run full 2" thick floor boards for my floor, making pockets in the floor for stub tenons on the bottom of the posts.  I would position two of the PT 6x6's on the outside, one in the middle, and then the other two under where the skid loader tires would ride on the floor. 

Think it'll work  ???

ljmathias

Why not just put your TF posts on concrete columns set on footings and use a gravel floor?  Then you don't have to worry about weight and wear and tear on the floor...  That's what I'm doing for the equipment storage part of the barn I'm working on: 30X60 under roof and sided with two 60 ft sheds on either side for my LT40 band saw and other eqipment with only the sawmill having a concrete floor, the rest just gravel.

Anyway, good luck- should be lots of fun (and hard work) cutting and assembling.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ohsoloco

Well, I guess because I don't know if it will stay there or not.  Where I want to put the shed right now is where a future house addition will be when that happens.  Figured I could just push/skid the thing somewhere else if I had to, but maybe that won't work so well with a shed of this sorts  :-\   

If I want to do it somewhere else on the property, then I must invest in a tooth bar for my loader bucket to do some excavating.

Don P

What about treated sills/skids, gravel floor and when you move it bolt diagonals across the sills to lock them and run it on a board "railway" ??? Or a couple hours of crane time.

Things I've learned;
There were lots of Egyptians
They used logs not firewood, firewood can kick up under a floor and rip out a half dozen joists in about 8' of travel.
The Romans used large wheels to get the joists out of the ground and used large hardwood axles. Smaller axles break when dropping off a rock. Falling from a higher wheel causes quite a jolt.
When building a small building that you think might be moved later, it might be worth thinking about ways to make it break back down easily too.

Thank You Sponsors!