iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long can I wait to saw a log?

Started by Farmer_17, March 25, 2012, 05:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer_17

I would think when first cut green but  is there Pro's and Con's if you wait.
Just trying to learn some thing............farmer 8) 8) 8)
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

thecfarm

What kind of trees? Temperature matters too. Just for an example,white pine here in Maine. It will stain pretty quick in June-August. Than the bores will get to it too.Even when you saw it too. Needs to be stickered if not used right off for building.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Yup, depends upon the species and all seem to fair better if they are staged off of the ground.  I really do not know of any "pros" unless you are looking for spalted wood.  There are several Ca. members around that can chime in.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farmer_17

Doug fir and black oak and a few digger pine are what I have here in northern cal. 8) 8) 8)
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

Magicman

I know that Red beard, sgschwend, and Backwoods sawyer regularly comment about sawing those species.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clean Image

Hey Farmer...had to look up Platina just to make sure it was a real place!
Turns out I drove through your neck of the woods a few months back heading from one job site in Reno to the next in Fortuna...beautiful countryside. My intro picture was taken at one of my favorite fishing holes along the Trinity River not to far from you.

I cleared land on our property up in Washington last December and left all the millable DF on sleepers till I get back with the mill this spring...hopefully the bugs will still be to cold to come out till then!

Take care...Duane

redbeard

Doug firs can stay in a log deck for awhile, not sure about the black oak and pine. I have some Doug fir thats been three years decked up there 18"-24" dia. The small DF logs wont last that long the sap wood will get punky.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Farmer_17

Quote from: Clean Image on March 25, 2012, 06:22:42 PM
Hey Farmer...had to look up Platina just to make sure it was a real place!
Turns out I drove through your neck of the woods a few months back heading from one job site in Reno to the next in Fortuna...beautiful countryside. My intro picture was taken at one of my favorite fishing holes along the Trinity River not to far from you.

I cleared land on our property up in Washington last December and left all the millable DF on sleepers till I get back with the mill this spring...hopefully the bugs will still be to cold to come out till then!

Take care...Duane Yeah next time you come this way stop at the store and eat they have one hell of a cook. Yes I been to that same fishing hole I can tell from the back..round LOL........farmer 8) 8) 8)

Bibbyman

I like to let ERC lay around about a month to let the sap set. Otherwise, always better to saw sooner than later.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

colinofthewoods

More important sometimes,   if it is up to you ,  is when it is felled.

If you can fall the doug fir in the winter or before the sap is running you will be better off I think,  maybe the pine is like that too.

I mostly saw western red cedar,   most of it has been down and bucked for years and some of the windfalls  have been down for who knows how long.

Thank You Sponsors!