iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does any one here use a 1 ton as there log truck?

Started by justgr8, January 02, 2012, 09:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justgr8

There are a few f350s and chevy ck3500s around our mills and i would like to see more pic of others if any one uses one or is it just a hillbilly thang in my lill part of the blue ridge?

Bobus2003

I used to Use my '06 F350 Crewcab, 6.0l, 4x4, 6spd, SRW and a 32' 20,000 lbs GN Trailer, to haul Posts to the Post plant, and Occasionally Saw logs too the mill if i didn't have a enough for a Log truck.. Pushed the limits of the truck many times, with Gross weights in the 50K range.. I have since upgraded to using a F450 for my heavy hauling or just getting a Semi in to haul my wood or equipment

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum justgr8.  If a guy was trying to put bread on the  table with a 1 ton, you would have to be dealing in high value wood, or some other high$$ specialty market, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

OldTimbercutter

My first log truck was a 1963 gmc with a big v6 I bought for 800 dollars. First load I sold brought $90. It was veneer grade poplar skidded out with an 8n ford tractor and cut with a 65 husky saw and loaded with a canthook and skid poles.

It also served as our daily driver , one day we were in town and I was in the store ,my wife was sitting in the old truck and a stranger come up to her and asked her if she could tell them were the welfare office was . I guess we were the poorest looking folks in the parking lot . And we think we have it rough now, but in all reality those were the best days.
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

justgr8

yea most that do use the 1 tons are starting out or cut walnut & other veneers on small tracts.most use tractors and one uses a ol case 450 loader. i was hopeing to get a few ideas to build my own out of a 77 f350 dually for weekend fun and someting to do for layoff time. and thanks for the welcome mad murdock

WH_Conley

Oldtimbercutter, mine was a 64Chevy, an 031 Stihl and a horse. 5 foot pulp loaded by hand. Was still in high school. 1 1/2 to 2 tons, sell on the way to school the next morning.

Back on track of the thread I use  a Ford Super Duty for deliveries and occasionally to pick up logs, if I need less than a tandem load. 
Bill

smwwoody

I have 3 differnt one tons that come into my mill every day.  they range from about a 1968 chevy to a 1997 ford.  They are hauling tie logs with them and do ok. 

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

g_man

I use a 2001 Ram. I would not call it a log truck but it is a way for me to get 10' and 12' logs to a close by mill and log yard. I can carry about 500 BF. A trailer would be better but you might need a loader. The mill I go to doen't mind little guys coming in as long as they can unload themselves and dont get in the way

fuzzybear

For many years I drove a Peterbuilt 375. One day I was passed by an f-350 pulling a 30' gooseneck with equipment on the deck. I talked to the driver and after our conversation I was sold. I sold the Pete 2 weeks later and started building a 30' goosneck of my own. I bought a new f-350 dually and started hauling.
  It was the best business move for me. The cost of tires alone ($75 vs. $400) was a huge savings. The savings in fuel were so much that I paid for the truck in 5 months. (4mpg vs. 15mpg)
I hauled everything that I could put on that trailer. The heaviest loads were steel loads weighing in at 22,000#. It was overweight for my permits but the truck pulled them along just fine. When I sold the business I had 4 trucks and 6 trailers.
  With the right combination of truck and trailer they could be used very easily for hauling logs. My original f-350 ran for over 400,000 miles on the original 7.3.  and still ran for years after I sold it.  The best thing about running truck like this, The DOT tends to over look you and go after the big trucks. If you keep it under 26,000 lbs you do not need a class 1/A license.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

woodmills1

but ifin your trailer is over 10K gvw look at the federal rules
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

snowstorm

used to be a few around here but iy faded away i dont think they were dot freindly. they would put another rear end under a 1 ton...a one ton wheeler

barbender

I met a guy this fall at the North Star Expo that logged with a Kioti tractor and Payuer forwarding trailer, then hauled all of his wood with a 3/4 ton and gooseneck. Seemed to work in his niche.
Too many irons in the fire

Cutting Edge

I used to haul specialty and veneer in my one ton (neighbor owns it now), one day scaled in at 24,600 gross.  Truck and 16' dovetail trailer. 

A freind of mine is cutting some nice Black Walnut and loading on his gooseneck pulled by 3/4 w/ a duramax.  I gave him some pointers on scale and such, he left mad knowing the yard royally screwed him over, but at least he knows kinda how to argue with 'em.  I think class will be cont'd.  again this week.  Fella is just tryin to make ends meet and feed hiself and his boy.  At least he's willing to work and do whatever it takes.

Quote from: fuzzybear on January 03, 2012, 02:37:36 PM
The cost of tires alone ($75 vs. $400) was a huge savings. The savings in fuel were so much that I paid for the truck in 5 months. (4mpg vs. 15mpg)

FB you must be/used to be hauling alot of miles/volume to recover that kinda investment...Congrats!!!

My buddy would have made a nice chunck of change if he knew he had hauled in about 2500 ft of veneer that the yard called sawlogs.  He coulda had new tires all the way around his rig, and change for a "Pocket Knife and Pistol"
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

jocco

Quote from: snowstorm on January 03, 2012, 09:19:39 PM
used to be a few around here but iy faded away i dont think they were dot freindly. they would put another rear end under a 1 ton...a one ton wheeler
I have seen that a few times!!! ;D
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

Youi might want to look at getting one of those trailer with loader. They were to exspencive for me. sure would be handy. ;D
You may check out but you will never leave

smwwoody

Can you say over loaded unsafe and should not be on the road.  This guy comes into my mill every day with a load like this on this truck.

there was 1175 bf international on that load
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

justgr8

thats to much of a load. how many times does he have the hood up on your lot? :D but we have a 1972 f350 we see alot with live tandems under it with a 460 it has the power and low end to pull i just dont see tryn to get 1500 to 2000 bft on a 1ton just to much stress on the frame and springs. plus the dot invite to the courthouse wont be cheap.

Ironwood

Look in my gallery under, well any category.  Mostly F-550. Would not really call it a Log Truck, more a specialty rig to grab high value logs close to home, no economy of scale on smallish rigs.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodmills1

smwoody do you call the guy with the red one ton    "bump stop"? :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Cutting Edge

Quote from: smwwoody on January 04, 2012, 07:15:06 PM
Can you say over loaded unsafe and should not be on the road.  This guy comes into my mill every day with a load like this on this truck.

there was 1175 bf international on that load

What was that load worth $$$?  Wonder if thats enough to cover what the DOT  smiley_policeman  would charge?
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Ironwood

There is NEVER  enough $$ to cover what DOT can fine oyu for. :-X

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cutting Edge

I guess the only thing you can hope for is that the portable scales are being used somewhere far enough away that they can't detain you anymore, then they gotta let ya go.  But I'm sure that varies  state to state.  Bad thing is thats usually a one shot deal...been there.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!