iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered handles compared to other brands?

Started by gman98, December 23, 2016, 04:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

I've read both on this forum and other forums that jonsereds have a different style handle on them, more square to the powerhead compared to the angled husky bars.  Do you guys find this to be a noticeable difference, either positive or negative, while cutting?  Does this handle difference make any difference while felling, limbing, and bucking?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

gman98

Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

celliott

Last spring we were doing some TSI work thinning sugar maples. I was running my jonsered 2260 with a 16" bar. My wrist did get noticeably sore after limbing alot of spruce and fir, but I attribute that to jumping into running a saw alot more than normal. But man, what a limbing setup!

I've run my 2171 and 372xp back to back, it doesn't bother me nor do I notice it very much. I kinda like the straight handlebar on the jonsered's for a felling sight, but the husky's have them scribed on the covers too.

It just comes down to personal preference. You'll have to try both I guess, to find out what you like.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

coxy

iv run both I hate the husky handle always seems like your cutting crooked till you get the feel of it

SawTroll

It often matters, and in my case it favors the Husky models to some degree over the Jonsered ones, when the basic saw is the same:

- when felling it hardly matters

- when limbing the husky handles are a major advantage over the jonsered ones

- when bucking the husky handles offers a more natural grip, but it is easy to "adjust".
Information collector.

thumper

when I switched to jonsered from husky, It took a year for me to notice.  the jonsered to me feels like I can cut straighter when bucking or cutting stove wood. now If use the old shed saw 262xp it feels realy goofy.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

HolmenTree

Quote from: thumper on January 28, 2017, 11:13:39 PM
when I switched to jonsered from husky, It took a year for me to notice.  the jonsered to me feels like I can cut straighter when bucking or cutting stove wood. now If use the old shed saw 262xp it feels realy goofy.
Good comments thumper.
I found the same issues. My first 9 years of logging I ran the Jonsereds and the 038 Stihls. When the 034 came out and the 064 a few years later with their "Husqvarna style" handles....bucking and squaring the occasional butt took a while to get used to.

When I built my power bucking Yamaha YZ hotsaw in 1983 I made sure the top handle was 90° to the b/c. :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

barbender

Sweet saw, Holmen! I have a Husky and a Jonsered, and I never notice a difference.
Too many irons in the fire

thumper

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 29, 2017, 10:04:02 AM
Good comments thumper.
I found the same issues. My first 9 years of logging I ran the Jonsereds and the 038 Stihls. When the 034 came out and the 064 a few years later with their "Husqvarna style" handles....bucking and squaring the occasional butt took a while to get used to.

When I built my power bucking Yamaha YZ hotsaw in 1983 I made sure the top handle was 90° to the b/c. :)

sweet! is that a 125? I had a 1982 yz80 and 125..
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

HolmenTree

Quote from: thumper on January 29, 2017, 05:02:05 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 29, 2017, 10:04:02 AM
Good comments thumper.

sweet! is that a 125? I had a 1982 yz80 and 125..
Yep it's a 1982 YZ125J.  I'm in the process at the moment rebuilding and redesigning it.
Engine came out of a brand new bike that was stolen from a local Yamaha dealer. The thief totalled it . Engine was still good which I paid $200 for.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!