iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Widespread tree disease / Are red oaks dying off?

Started by livemusic, August 07, 2019, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

What trees have had major or even pretty much catastrophic dieoffs? Did it happen to elm, Dutch Elm disease? Ash? Chestnut?

I read somewhere today where somebody was talking about his red oaks dying off. Is this widespread, is this a normal cycle?

Do you think some trees die off and never come back? It certainly happens in the animal world... extinction.
~~~
Bill

Southside

There is the wilt in White Oak and Thousand Cankers in Walnut, as to the normal cycle, there is always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, a Korilian Death Ray, or intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this planet.  The only way people can get on with their happy lives is that they do not know about it -- at least according to Agent "K", so I think it applies here.   :o  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

I have been seeing some sort of wilt  affecting  new growth tips on the burr oak around me, most of them are mature 80+  year old trees. I did see it in one swamp white oak I planted in my tree project from  15 years ago. It could be because of the wet spring and where  it lives.
I wonder if it has to do with late burn down chemical application and or chemical drift  and micro leaf insults. Could go on a rant but leaving it alone, I'm sure its been said.before.   As far as the alien threats I think they will just watch up there unless they give the order to execute clone protocol 66.... :D

Autocar

Chemical drift  ;) I know where your coming from   ::)
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!