iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joining slabs

Started by Maximus, January 11, 2024, 07:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

A handheld power planer can be useful for hogging off a lot of material, to remove cup / twist etc. But it relies more on the eye and skill of the operator. A router bridge on the other hand relies on the straightness of your bridge and rails. Get those right, and you can't hog off more material than you intend, because the router bit can't physically reach any lower. Your router bridge can be a simple wooden one like Larry shows, Or a purpose built machine like a Slabmaster or CNC machine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Maximus

Thanks Larry, Doc, Ian, Mr. Peak, and all the wonderful folks on this forum.

I'll contemplate router bridge "vs." power hand planer, but am very happy to Heisman the planer/jointer question.  I remember seeing what I now recognize as a router bridge in one of Doc's earlier messages.  "What on earth is that crazy thing?", said my unconscious, and off I went examining jointer hp.

But I'm sipping a Lagavulin now, listening to the roar of our slabs drying in the family room.  Further decisions can wait a couple months while these fellas creep down to 8% moisture content (mc).  I figure it will take 4 months, b/c I need them in 4 months. 

I'll watch the mc % closely.  The physicist in me is not fooled by the surface mc, which today is already reading a couple % lower than yesterday.  When the reading levels out, I'll know I'm there.

Here's the pile drying.  Shout-out to Mr. Peak...I picked up a qt of Watco Teak Oil today to start running some experiments.  I hope it looks good on Alder!

doc henderson

you want to force air through the boards, parallel to the stickers.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Air flow is very important especially with the alder to prevent sticker stain. Sometimes we rotate the alder stock in the first few weeks to help with this. Airflow will also prevent mold.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Maximus

You had me at "mold".

I put an oscillating fan beside it, blowing the warmed air from the stove through the pile.  There's cool air coming out the other side of the 3 piles!  Great tip, Doc!

doc henderson

check the straps every 3 of 4 days to see if they are still taunt at a high C (for the music lovers)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

A high G like the fifth string on a banjo is best, I think. Just grab your banjo and tune to that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tule peak timber

I prefer to tune a fish..... 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tyofwa

Quote from: Maximus on January 16, 2024, 07:24:04 PM

But I'm sipping a Lagavulin now, listening to the roar of our slabs drying in the family room.  Further decisions can wait a couple months while these fellas creep down to 8% moisture content (mc).  I figure it will take 4 months, b/c I need them in 4 months. 

I'll watch the mc % closely.  The physicist in me is not fooled by the surface mc, which today is already reading a couple % lower than yesterday.  When the reading levels out, I'll know I'm there.

Just wanted to drop into the thread and say hello.  Looks like you're well on your way to getting table-ready planks.  Will be a cool project.  I'm also on Whidbey Island (Oak Harbor) and work with Redbeard quite a bit.  If you prefer to have your planks kiln dried and / or surfaced, I can help. 

Cheers,
Ty
www.coastalwood.works
Embarking on a new journey.  Here to learn, grow, and share. 

Logosol M8 sawmill
iDry vacuum kiln
Avid CNC router
...lots of other equipment to support the above :-)

Running a woodworking business in NW Washington. 
www.coastalwood.works

Thank You Sponsors!