iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab Loss

Started by woodweasel, April 21, 2014, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

How many inches will I lose off a 20" log just squaring up the cant? (Average off all 4 sides) Read this before someplace! Never really measured it while I was sawing? ???

WellandportRob

With a perfectly straight log you will pull a 16" X 16" out of it.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

dgdrls

Use the tool box lower left below sponsors choose "Log size for cants"option.

DGDrls

landscraper

I use .70*diameter as the rule of thumb for largest square (cant) that can be inscribed in a circle (log) and I estimate *down* from there.  Oval logs, sapwood, sweep, etc. cut into that yield a lot.  That's from the small end diameter too.   Realistically it is a good bit less, and varies by log.  Depends on if you edge jacket wood as to whether that is "loss" or not.  Neat cuts on a perfect round log with a 2' inside bark diameter would yield a 3.5" slab off each side and leave a 17" cant.  Rarely happens that way.  On your 20" log, .7 =14", so there would 3" loss to slab on each side. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

woodweasel

I thought 4'' per side was close but wasnt for sure. thanks

Magicman

There is at least one more narrower board inside each of those 4" slabs.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I ran into this today, on some cedar logs. He(customer) said wack em'.  I ended up with some nice 1" before it happened.  He said," glad you are doing my pine next"  the tool box will give you a great starting point, just plan on you outside lumber before you get there.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

Divide by 1.4141. You will get a 14.14" cant from a 20" diameter log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: woodweasel on April 21, 2014, 04:39:45 PMHow many inches will I lose off a 20" log just squaring up the cant? 
Remember that any sweep in the log will affect what size cant can be sawed.  Also, just squaring it up looses the side lumber that I mentioned in Reply #5 so it need not all be a loss.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

18"x18 with some wain. How much wain allowace is there? ;)
A 1" slab on the small end will give a square cant with about a 6" open face. Tapper and alignment minimize the effects of mild sweep.
If the target is 1x6 or 2x6 a six inch open face is all that is needed and a 1" slab will give you a six inch face.
Cant imagine off loading slabs that are 3" thick on the small end :) 3" slabs makes the firewood pile out grow the lumber pile  :o
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

That's a lot of wane!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ET

With us Lucas millers that little piece of premium, under the bark, o defect wood, although small, is recovered. Takes a few more cuts but as long as the log does not have, wane, it will provide a very nice stick for sure.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

woodmills1

radical 2 or 1.414 is the number, and ifin ya try for a 16 by 16 it is gonna have a lotta bark.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

stumpy

If you look up in extras, there's a tool box with a calculator for determining log diameter for a given cant size.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

shelbycharger400

Good logs,   24 or so big end cut live edge at 2 inch on a band mill,   two logs netted me 13 nice slabs,  two bench slabs and I left the dunnage

Thank You Sponsors!