iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Kind of Fungus ?

Started by KEC, July 26, 2023, 08:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

I saw this fungus growing on a small Yellow Birch tree yesterday in the southern Adirondacks Forest Preserve. Anyone know what it is?

pabst79

Looks like a type of oyster, looks like decurrent gills, but an expert would know for sure. 
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Don P

Michelle was up in the woods walking the dog while I was grinding yesterday. score!

KEC

Don, Is your fungus the same as in my photo?

Don P

Sorry, no, I was just playing "what kind of fungus". Those are chantarelles and grow in soil. There is a kinda lookalike that grows on wood on or in the ground, a jack o lantern that is toxic.

Southside

An employee of mine branched out and grows mushrooms in a controlled environment for us, lions Mane, oysters, etc. Folks ask why we don't forage in the woods for them. My go to answer is that because I don't know the difference between Chicken of the Woods and it's (made up) cousin Rooster of the Woods which is toxic and causes a slow, painful, death.  Saw first hand what can happen when you pick the wrong fungus.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Broncman

It does appear to be oysters. If the gills run into each other with intersections.  I don't like them. Wife does. 
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

Rhodemont

We have a couple here in RI that are wild mushroom experts.  https://mushroomhunting.org/
I have attended one of there presentations and signed up for their news letter.  When I find mushrooms , which are plentiful this year, I send a couple pics to them.  They give feedback as to what is is or most likely is and info about it.  For fee they will come and walk a couple hours with you collecting and teaching.  Then for additional fee will use your kitchen to cook anything edible found.  They eat it first!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

KEC

Thanks for the responses. I did not eat any of it and I am here to post about it!

Thank You Sponsors!