iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't ID This Thorn Bush

Started by g_man, September 15, 2014, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

We have an old cellar hole and I found a small clump of thorn bushes near it. I guess that means it could be anything. What ever it is it seems to be pretty shade tolerant. What is this ???  It is in northern VT.  Thanks

CJennings

BradMarks

BradMarks

CJennings

I should of added to my other post, I hope you don't have any valuable white pines close to those plants. Ribes spp. are required by the fungus responsible for white pine blister rust.

g_man

Quote from: CJennings on September 15, 2014, 07:29:10 PM
I should of added to my other post, I hope you don't have any valuable white pines close to those plants. Ribes spp. are required by the fungus responsible for white pine blister rust.

Hmmm............ I have a lot of pine but don't have much that is valuble because of weevil and blister rust. 

There must be more of those bushes around even though I have not noticed them. I have blister rusted pine a quarter mile in any direction from that clump of bushes.

Thank you very much for the ID guys !!!

g_man

I should add - What is the best way to kill it ?

curdog

Roundup or 2-4D would probably be the cheapest options.  I'm sure most broadleaf herbicides would work.

thecfarm

I have had very good luck with Pronto,Big'n'Tuff from tractor supply. Much,much cheaper.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VT_Forestry

Quote from: thecfarm on September 16, 2014, 05:22:27 AM
I have had very good luck with Pronto,Big'n'Tuff from tractor supply. Much,much cheaper.

That's good stuff, kills most anything and for the price you can't beat it  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

curdog

Quote from: thecfarm on September 16, 2014, 05:22:27 AM
Yeah you're right, I spray the generic from tractor supply as well. I can't remember the name,  but it's a 41% solution of gly.

g_man

This clump is small enough that I could easily pull it up. Considering the time of year is spray the best option.

I have some 25% gly, it sounds like that may not be strong enough. I'll get some of the stuff Mr C-farm suggested - Thanks

beenthere

Pull it up, and spray next year if any comes back. Best to spray when there are green and growing leaves. They may be dormant already this time of year. And 25% gly would likely work, just take a bit longer to see the results. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I try to buy it on sale,Pronto. I brought some last year,about $40 for 2½ gallons. I do find this stuff does not work as fast as round up. But I feel it works as good. Round up takes 3-4 days to see it working,pronto takes about twice as long to see results. But even if I had to use twice as much,it would still be way cheaper. Can't even buy a ½ gallon of total vegation killer round up for $40. Last time I checked a quart was $26.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Pull it and throw it in the backyard fire-pit!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

g_man

Quote from: Chuck White on September 16, 2014, 09:18:34 PM
Pull it and throw it in the backyard fire-pit!

That is exactly what I did yesterday. Filled the wagon I pull behind the ATV with the stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!