iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first time processing lumber

Started by kristosig, October 03, 2020, 03:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kristosig

I started a thread here a while ago asking for advice on drying lumber. This is my first time felling trees, milling, drying etc. This thread documents my progress, mistakes and hopefully some successes as well.

kristosig

A few weeks ago, I visited a landowner "nearby" (about two hours away), picked out and bought six trees, still standing. Three ashes and three cherry trees. Marked them with green plastic.

kristosig

This morning, I started building a rack on which to stack the lumber.

Unfortunately, the rain was really pouring down, and my neighbours were still asleep, so not really a good time to start sawing.

Obviously, I need a bandsaw to dimension the lumber when it's finished. In case the customer wants different dimensions. So I bought a bandsaw. As good a time as any to unpack it.

low_48

You bought ash? I thought those were all give away these days as folks have to take them down anyway.

kristosig

The day I assigned for making everything ready did not go as planned. I have a half-completed lumberrack. I found out the hard way that it is really hard to saw straight with a bandsaw. Thus, I have no stickers.

I did get the chainsaw and timberjig, safety equipment etc from the post office. Haven't had time to open the boxes yet. Spent three hours getting the van I rented to transport the lumber.

Tomorrow is tree-felling and milling day. We'll see how that goes.

Now, sleep.

kristosig

So, breakfast and off we go to the forest...

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

I'll bet he is the photographer.

And SO, the adventure begins! Let's see how the plans hold up. Good luck, have fun, and be safe!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

customsawyer

Y'all going to have to eat more than I see on those plates if you're going to be working with wood.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GAB

I would caution those fellows against sitting on those chairs if they get softwood resins on their clothes.
They just might get an earful from the lady of the house.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

kristosig

Yes, I took the pictures, so I'm not on them. We had breakfast before going to the woods, so no risk for damage, GAB. :)

Off we went. When we got there, the landowners asked us to start with the cherry trees, as they had horses around where the ashes were. So, change of plans, cherry instead of ash.

We started by putting everything together. Chainsaw, winch, etc. Unboxing various things.

I felled the first tree. Of course, I should have backed away, but otherwise, we took all safety precautions, including fixing a winch to the tree.

Video: Dropbox - video-1601840828.mp4 - Simplify your life

Now, the actual sawing to planks turned out to be rather complicated. Assembling the timberjig took a lot of time and in the end we realised there were some parts missing. More specifically one of the holders and the piece that fixes the timberjig to the horizontal ruler-type thing. So sawing was difficult and inaccurate.

Videos of me milling:
Dropbox - video-1601840818.mp4 - Simplify your life
Dropbox - video-1601840788.mp4 - Simplify your life

In the end we just milled one small log, more as a proof of concept. It didn't turn out terribly well, but looks okay in a picture.

In the end, we just loaded up the logs and I took them home.

When I got home, I figured I could just load the planks and logs onto my half-finished lumberrack and beef it up later.

Obviously, it just fell apart.

So, as a whole, a learning experience. No one got hurt. We grilled hot-dogs and hamburgers in the woods. A bunch of office workers got to do something new.

I am going to let those four planks stay outside for 4-5 days. No rain in the forecast. After that, I will put them in my attic and just keep them there. Make something out of them eventually, as the first planks I ever milled.

Everything is end-sealed with anchorseal. The logs will simply have to wait there until I get things sorted with the timberjig and everything. Then I will build a better lumber rack, make stickers and then mill and stack.

The kiln should come in a few weeks. Maybe I will just mill the logs then and stack them directly into the kiln.

Stay tuned for more updates! I also have five more trees to fell and mill! :)

Old Greenhorn

Well, it looks like you had some fun, and as you say, nobody got hurt. Everything takes time to learn the fine points. One comment on your felling 'technique', cutting and standing directly behind the tree as it is falling puts you directly in the line of fire if that tree splits and it will happen before you realize what is going on. Better to be on the side when you do your back cut. I also noticed that you held onto the saw because it was pinched. Try to program your brain that the equipment can be replaced, but you can't. Trying to save a tool has cost many person a serious injury.
 If you haven't seen it, this video might be helpful for a start.
How to Fell a Tree with a Chainsaw - YouTube

This video has a better explanation of the mechanics which are critical to make good choices. There are many ways to drop a tree, these are just a few.
How To Make Tree Felling Notches And Hinges With A Chainsaw | Husqvarna - YouTube
Good luck, keep at it.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

kristosig

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 05, 2020, 07:14:05 AM
Well, it looks like you had some fun, and as you say, nobody got hurt. Everything takes time to learn the fine points. One comment on your felling 'technique', cutting and standing directly behind the tree as it is falling puts you directly in the line of fire if that tree splits and it will happen before you realize what is going on. Better to be on the side when you do your back cut. I also noticed that you held onto the saw because it was pinched. Try to program your brain that the equipment can be replaced, but you can't. Trying to save a tool has cost many person a serious injury.
That's exactly what happened. With the saw pinched, I was unsure what to do for a little moment and just stayed there. You are of course exactly right that I should have gotten away from there as soon as I sensed the tree was falling.
Thanks for the tip on coming from the side, I will do that from now on. Will check the videos out, thanks.

I believe it also was for the best that we started with the cherry trees. They are smaller than the ashes, both in diameter and height, and thus better for training. We felled two cherry trees and it went much faster and better with number two.

I originally bought three ashes and three cherry trees. Yesterday, I bought one more cherry tree. So, five more trees to be felled and milled.

Now that we have gone through all the motions of felling and milling a tree, I think we will work more effectively from now on.

I am considering doing the remaining work in stages:

Stage 1: Fell all five remaining trees. Saw off all branches etc and cut to length. Seal the end-grain with Anchorseal. Leave them where they are.
Stage 2: Gather all the logs and put them all in one place where the landowner has agreed to let me stack logs/lumber and mill it.
Stage 3: Setup a comfortable workplace where the logs are. Mount the milling equipment on a stand, build some kind of track or stand so the logs can be easily rolled into position and locked there for milling.
Stage 4: Make enough stickers for all the lumber. Make platforms for stacks, probably from pallets.
Stage 5: Mill the logs into planks. Stack them on the platforms.
Stage 6: Hire a truck with a crane to transport all the lumber home.
Each stage can take several days and that's OK. The stacks can sit and air dry, first on-site and after that at my house, and I will kiln-dry load after load until I'm done.

I will probably not be using the lumberjig anymore; frankly I am considering returning it. Of course, the fact that there were parts missing influence my impression of it. But I just didn't like it. Fastening the guiderails to every log, moving it, etc was a hassle. It wasn't that easy to push the chainsaw through the log when milling either. Probably much easier though if one doesn't have to also hold it stable and straight by hand.

I am considering upgrading to this one:
https://www.logosol.com/store/f2-chain-sawmill-4-m-with-ms661-basic-crank-feeding.html

I could build a rack with a ramp or something to "feed" logs into it. Nothing would have to be fastened to the logs. The crank feeding would make pushing the chainsaw easier. The chainsaw in this package is 7,1 horsepower, the one I have now is 4,4 hp I think. So a little more power, which would be nice.

Old Greenhorn

Just take your time and be careful. Make sure you understand the forces that each tree and log holds when you cut. I don't want to hear that you wound up like my neighbor. Yesterday he decided to cut some dead standing trees for firewood. He did 2 smaller ones first and they pretty much went where he wanted. He didn't really understand how the hinge works to control the direction of the tree and he didn't ask for help or teaching. One his third tree, this happened:

Then he accepted my help to get the tree out and the shed covered until he can repair it. I am just very thankful he did not get hurt. Even small trees are dangerous, such as this one, it was about 50CM DBH (20"). It did a fair amount of damage even though only the top hit the shed.
 Be careful.

kristosig

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 05, 2020, 12:44:34 PM
Just take your time and be careful. Make sure you understand the forces that each tree and log holds when you cut. I don't want to hear that you wound up like my neighbor. Yesterday he decided to cut some dead standing trees for firewood. He did 2 smaller ones first and they pretty much went where he wanted. He didn't really understand how the hinge works to control the direction of the tree and he didn't ask for help or teaching. One his third tree, this happened:

Then he accepted my help to get the tree out and the shed covered until he can repair it. I am just very thankful he did not get hurt. Even small trees are dangerous, such as this one, it was about 50CM DBH (20"). It did a fair amount of damage even though only the top hit the shed.
Be careful.
Wow. That's some expensive firewood.
We will take every precaution. One of the trees I bought is within reach of a house. I told the landowner from the start that I will not fell that tree. A condition when buying it was that they would get someone else to fell it. I will gladly take care of it after it is on the ground.
But, as you say, property damage is not the worst thing that can happen. A shed or a house can be repaired. A fractured skull is not as easy.
Here's another video of me felling that same tree, taken from an another angle and more thoroughly showing the whole process.
Dropbox - video-1601895772.mp4 - Simplify your life
When looking at this, I see that I should not have been on my knees, I should have been on my feet, ready to get away if needed. Should have been on the side, not directly behind the tree. Should have left the moment the tree started to fall.

Don P

OGH, was this "that neighbor"?
Looks like he'll need to hang the window planter back up.

Old Greenhorn

No, I wish it was. This was the nice young couple behind me that I made the bar for last year as their wedding gift. I will help him as I can to get it repaired. We are traveling next weekend when he plans on starting, so that should give him time to figure out what he doesn't know, then ask for help or tools. ;D They are good folks, Hate to see this for them.

Don P

Bummer. You made the comment that only the top hit the shed, hmm, really the whole tree hit it. I only strike a nail with the top of the hammer but it is really the whole thing driving the nail. I'm kind of surprised it stopped short of the floor, a well built shed.

kristosig, I hung around and tried to save a saw when a tree was barberchairing. I did save the saw but instantly 20' in the air with a broken rib and running chainsaw I decided I didn't really want it all that bad. Run Forrest Run  :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2020, 06:56:53 PM
Bummer. You made the comment that only the top hit the shed, hmm, really the whole tree hit it. I only strike a nail with the top of the hammer but it is really the whole thing driving the nail. I'm kind of surprised it stopped short of the floor, a well built shed.
Not to hijack Kristosigs thread, but I have done a few of these damage assessments when with the Fire dept. for structural stability and shoring requirements before entry. What I believe happened here was the top hit the roof and a few lesser branches absorbed some energy as they broke (exploded), then the stouter upper leads broke the first 3 roof trusses and just about the time it was running out of trusses, the main stem hit the header on the side wall (doubled 2x4's) and shattered that absorbing pretty much most of the energy left and sharing the load between the siding and the 4th truss, which cracked but did not break. The plywood roofing absorbs an amazing amount of energy as it spreads the load out and I could see, based on the size of the plywood sections laying on the floor that they got hit hard.
 It was interesting to evaluate and figure out the chain of events. I understand there is video of this, (It was his first big tree, so his wife recorded it. I bet they won't forget this for a while. :D) but I have not seen it, but I would be interested to see how close my assessment is. The property owner is keeping a good sense of humor about the whole thing since he did it all by himself. I mentioned that if he were thinking about making a bigger shed, now might be a good time. ;D
 But this is a reminder of why we say it is 'hard to learn how to fell a tree on the internet'. I am just glad he is whole.

GAB

Quote from: Don P on October 05, 2020, 06:43:07 PM
OGH, was this "that neighbor"?
Looks like he'll need to hang the window planter back up.
I think that can wait until after he frames and installs the roof window.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GAB on October 05, 2020, 07:52:33 PM

I think that can wait until after he frames and installs the roof window.

Yeah, the flowers were already dead anyway. We have time on that.  ;D

thecfarm

Note the safety gear he is wearing. Yes it costs, but so does a hospital emergency room visit. 45° escape route is right on. I spend time clearing that escape route too. I don't want to fall as I am walking away from the tree. That bore cut should be higher than the hinge cut too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I put my bore cut at the same level as the face cut. It leaves a cleaner stump. As far as the mechanics go, it really doesn't matter as long as you keep a good clean hinge. Some say making the back cut higher encourages chairing, but I have not seen this.

Old Greenhorn

@kristosig how are you coming along with your project? We haven't heard in a while. Are you holding to your timeline?

kristosig

So, next step!

I was away for a few weeks, got som good patience training...

As soon as I got home, I started preparing for receiving the logs.

Since those pictures were taken, I have added cross supports to the two remaining places that lacked those. As you can see, the studs protrude a little bit up from the sides. My thought there was that they could decrease risk for the logs rolling when they are not supposed to. But it turned out that it was quite difficult to roll logs over them and it put load on them that might break them and thereby threaten the stability of the whole thing. So I'm going to cut of the protruding parts and instead drill 12 mm (ca 1/2 inch) wide holes every 600 mm (2 feet). I've bought a 2 metre (6 feet) rebar, 12 mm in diametre, which I will cut to 4-6 parts. Those, I will stick in the holes in the side where it suits me to put a removable stopper.

The sawmill will be at the and of the rack, I will simply roll the logs off the rack, on the sawmill. A Logosol F2, which arrived last week.

I've also started building a drying chamber. It'll be 4 metre long (12 feet), 1,2 metre deep (4 feet) and 1 metre high (3 feet). The WDU (Logosol Wood Drying Unit) has arrived, so that'll go in the chamber as soon as it's built. Just a 45x95 mm (2x4 in) frame with styrofoam (XPS, not EPS) as insulation and exterior - walls, floor, roof and door.

Thank You Sponsors!