The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Seeking cedar strips  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
Seeking cedar strips
« on: April 15, 2021, 11:30:53 PM »
HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THE TERMS

I am seeking cedar strips to install as a headliner in my 1953 Willys station wagon.  Rather than the usual cloth I was thinking the look of cedar would fit the idea of my truck.  Think something like a cedar strip canoe seven foot by thirteen feet in size.  Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Seeking cedar strips
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 08:47:05 AM »
Maybe move to WTB or post question in wood working section for ideas?

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
do you need material or are you looking for ideas on fabrication and installation?  any pic of inside roof of the car.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
@Patrick NC   ???

Is this up your alley? Howdy might even write up the details and make you famous. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:22:14 PM »
@Patrick NC   ???

Is this up your alley? Howdy might even write up the details and make you famous. :D
I'd love to saw it although shipping could be a problem. 😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 01:16:11 AM »

Here is something like what I want,  think a cedar strip canoe seven feet by thirteen feet without the ribs showing.

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 01:32:57 AM »
Here's what the roof looks like without a covering... I am thinking about ribs next to the sheet metal and strips below the ribs. That way I end up with the strips visible and the ribs hidden.

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 01:36:12 AM »
I welcome ideas of how to construct the headliner but what I need is the cedar itself.  The more colorful the better. 

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 01:44:20 AM »
well, I must be missing something here . . . . 
You're living in the land of Western Red Cedar, and a two inch thick board on a table saw fitted with a ripping blade ( for a smooth finish and less sanding) will get you a whole lot of strips in short order.
A boat club could get you the name of any number of boat restoration/build shops that could supply you with the cedar strips, ready to go. 
Good luck with your project.
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »
so are you looking for ERC?  Wow on the pics.  If you plan on a great stereo and sub woofer, you will need a tight installation to avoid annoying vibration.  I would be fitting it strip by strip to the ceiling running front to back.  glue and pinning each one from the side.  you want it thin for weight and flexibility, but thick enough to edge glue.  I have never done this.  @tule peak timber has done all kinds of crazy stuff.  we have cedar that get thrown away.  I am surely not the closest, but if I ship you something, we will need to share some with the FF.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 08:58:15 AM »
boats are usually made I guess from WRC.  the ERC tends to have knots and pitch pocket.  it looks pretty, but would be hard to bend to a form for a boat.  but could work in your project.  looks like a birch plywood on the doors, and oak on the floor.   would oak work for your headliner, or some other local species?

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »
Been a while since I've seen a post from you.  Was hoping for one of your entertaining stories.  However, this looks to be a great project! I look forward to your story. 

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • The Wizard of Crap
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
Take a look at a  Freud 99-472 bit set for your project. Keep in mind that if you use cedar, when your vehicle sits in the summer sun it's going to reek of insecticide with WRC or Eastern Red Cedar. If you use Deodar Cedar, it will smell like flowers. Personally I would look at redwood, spruce or alder; all easy to work with in the application you want without the strong odors. Just my .02$
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 02:07:46 PM »
Thank you all for your wisdom.  Different species of wood is well worth looking to.  I wish the look of wood, a variation of colors and something easy to work with.  Long strips and gentle curves with beauty of clear wood is the goal.

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 10:28:56 PM »
What about Northern White Cedar?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 11:41:51 PM »
Every cedar strip canoe I have ever seen was made from white cedar, and it was usually hanging on a wall for fear of putting it into the water. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 12:10:25 AM »
Every cedar strip canoe I have ever seen was made from white cedar, and it was usually hanging on a wall for fear of putting it into the water.
Dat said, I don't think he plans on water dat deep for his Willies.  :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 04:46:04 AM »
boats are usually made I guess from WRC.  the ERC tends to have knots and pitch pocket.  it looks pretty, but would be hard to bend to a form for a boat.  but could work in your project.  looks like a birch plywood on the doors, and oak on the floor.   would oak work for your headliner, or some other local species?
Here in New Brunswick they have traditionally been made of northern white cedar. And yes, need clear wood, which means old growth cedar. Some areas here they get to be 36" diameter. Many places a 16" one is a big one. The larger ones grow in with hardwoods.
Bill Miller from Nicatau, New Brunswick is 3rd generation canvas backed canoe maker, the ribs are all northern white cedar. He steam bends his wood. I've seen school projects as well using just white cedar, and no canvas. I have one of Bill's father's canoes, my grandfather was a guide outfitter who fished for salmon from a canoe most of his life. Bill has been 50 years at canoe making. He's working on one now for a couple in Ontario who have this idea of canoing back home in it, up the St Lawrence. Bill is 77 now. Western red cedar is pricey stuff. A small local run magazine has an article on him, "Ageless NB" is the magazine. There were 2 other canoe makers here in NB at one time. Lennon Canoe and the world famous Chestnut Canoe, those two are gone from history. Bill Miller bought the last canoe made by Chestnut in the late 70's, he's lived and worked in many places. He has some of their moulds. The Chestnut can handle low water well, with a wider bottom than most, so it road higher in the water.
Chestnut Canoe Company - Wikipedia

Salmon fishing on the Upsulquich river  from a chestnut canoe. I know the guy down by the motor, he used to guide for my grandfather. And that is an Evenrude motor.

From where that boat is sitting to the opposite shore is 12' deep water. Water there is clear and deceiving.

Sorry for the diversion Howdy, hope you find what you need for your project. ;)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 05:19:31 AM »
I hope someone come through with some kind of cedar. I want to see the finished product. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »
I wish that your journey(s) was bringing you back through here.  We would saw you whatever ERC that you wanted/needed. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »
I would choose redwood given your location. Do table sawn strips and attach as makes sense to the van ceiling. Could easily do a half lap joint using a common router bit to assist with coverage and an easy install. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 07:00:07 AM »
We can supply clear cedar in lengths up to 8'.  For long lengths we can supply, but will have some small knots if we have time to grade.
Shipping is not a problem, but might be a little expensive.
If you have a place than can put the lumber in a kiln and heat it to 150 degrees or more, you can drive the oils off, reducing the aroma somewhat.  coating the wood on all sides will hold a lot of the oils in place.
If you have a final material list.  Thickness, widths, lengths, and whether planed or left with band sawn texture, I will be happy to quote.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 11:08:29 PM »
Thank you for the information, suggestions, and offers.  

I am converting surface rust, priming, and painting everything now, and will be getting the engine in before I worry about finishing the interior.  Trying to find an engine is not easy unless you have a big budget.  I am trying to find a LM7 (5.3l chevy or GM engine) with an automatic trans. but if that proves to be too expensive my mechanic suggests I go old school with a 350ci.  whichever I find first that I can afford will win the bet.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 09:13:24 AM »
Converting rust, with Ospho or something similar?

Offline Howdy

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 01:36:33 AM »
yep, Ospho then priming.
Looks good and seems to do the job.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Seeking cedar strips

Started by Wildflower on For Sale

0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
by Wildflower
xx
Inlay strips

Started by Larry on General Board

10 Replies
Last post November 20, 2004, 01:45:03 PM
by SwampDonkey