iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choke Cherry?

Started by Jeff, August 10, 2021, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This is growing profusely near the road at the front of my property.  Is this a cherry?  Jelly maybe?? @SwampDonkey ?  

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Oh yea jelly it is. Those things are kinda on the sour side.  :D  The bushes don't grow much higher than 6-8 feet. Might get 4 inches across. I killed all the one around here on the farm. They do real well along a stone wall or a rock.  ;)  Now we pick them beside the road. Not many people use them, so there are plenty around. When picking beside the road, we have had people stop and ask us what we was doing and going to use them for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wisconsitom

Ain't supposed to be, but I've picked ripe chokecherries that were sweet and delicious.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

snobdds

Our chokecherries are tiny compared to those...

Jeff

See, I dunno what they are. If they are cherries, id try to get enough to make some jelly.

Southside

Ray - What do you mean by "jelly".  Don't ever recall seeing those things.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Some variety of wild plum I believe Jeff.

A chokecherry is small and black and dry to taste, a lot like black cherries. You can still make jelly from them plums.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

@Southside   This is what Ray means by jelly.

wild plums for the jelly

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Jelly it is. I really don't know how she makes it. I just pick 'em.  ;DThan eat the jelly.  ;D  I think she picks the stem out, which takes a lot of time, than boils them down to make a juice, than add pectin to make it thick. Sounds good.
I have seen choke cherry the same color as what Jeff has, than I have seen them a very dark red too. One thing for sure, you can pick a lot quick!!!
What he has is choke cherry. I have picked them things for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

That sort of Jelly is basically made like Jam, but with all the "lumpy bits" filtered out. 

So you have the juice, sugar and pectin to help it set. Mum and her Mum used to make it when we were kids, blackberries, red currants, plums etc. Anything you can make jam from really. It would work great for any fruit with large seeds.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Those look smaller than in your first photo. They would be choke cherries. The leaves of choke cherry and some plums have the same shape. All makes jam, jelly or juice. :)

KEC

Does anyone know if Choke Cherry and Pin Cherry (sometimes called fire cherry because they come in after a fire) are the same thing ? I think they are eaten by a lot of birds. As a forest matures they get shaded out.

thecfarm

choke cherries are not eaten by birds!!! There is a reason they are called choke cherry.  ;)  Them things can not be eaten right of the bush.

Ianab

Quote from: KEC on August 11, 2021, 09:32:00 PM
Does anyone know if Choke Cherry and Pin Cherry (sometimes called fire cherry because they come in after a fire) are the same thing ? I think they are eaten by a lot of birds. As a forest matures they get shaded out.
Related, but different species. 
Pin Cherry   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_pensylvanica
Choke Cherry  Prunus virginiana - Wikipedia
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

Ahh, so Jeff did the "10 lb bass" extend your arm out photo thing. I was wondering how I had never seen such berries. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Just holding them up to the video camera as that is what I had. Never occurred to me the scale was cornfusing.

wisconsitom

Hungry birds definitely will eat chokecherries.  Even meat-eaters like robins will devour the fruits when it's gotten too dry to find earthworms.  The two I used to have in my yard never retained their fruits for long, once birds were migrating through.

Pin cherry and chokecherry are two related, but different species.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

snobdds

This is a wyoming chokecherry...

SwampDonkey

Quote from: KEC on August 11, 2021, 09:32:00 PM
No we don't eat the pin (fire) cherries here. I've been cutting down thousands of the the darn things this summer with a clearing saw. :D

Birds, coons, bears eat choke cherries as fast as they can chomp'm down. :D

Every fence row around here has choke cherries and high bush cranberries, you'll never have to worry about not getting any. Of course, you have to watch were your picking. I don't pick near a potato field with a potato crop in it. They spray spuds here every week for something, bugs or blight. ;)

I'm pretty sure there are several species of chokecherry, but probably not as varied as serviceberry.

thecfarm

I've never known anything to eat chock cherries.  ???
I have picked them things for years and never seen any evidence of another critter eating the berries. I can drive down the road and see the berries hanging of the bushes. I drive by the same ones and they are still there until they dry up and drop off.
I guess Maine critters don't have to eat sour berries. 
 I have picked them things as close as 10 minutes from my house and as far as an hour from my house.

SwampDonkey

Ray, if you have coons and bears around and happen to step by some of their excrement, they are full of choke cherry seeds this time of year. Well for us it might be closer to September. ;D

Scat, Bear - Hearing Voices

WV Sawmiller

I'm thinking you can eat any cherry, some just taste a lot better than others. We have lots of wild Black cherry (Prunus serotina) around here and wild sweet cherries we call Black heart or red heart depending on color. The black cherries are smaller and get ripe much later and are readily eaten by wildlife but seldom by people but would make good jelly or jam if you wanted to go to the trouble.

We never use pectin any more. We use ripe fruit and the recipes in our canning books call for 1/4 unripe fruit for the acid. We use lemon juice or orange juice instead. I like to leave as much of the skin and pulp in the mix as I can and with seeds this big I think you could cook, mash and separate the seeds in a colander and retain juice and pulp, add sugar and lemon juice and cook it down till it jelled as evidenced on a wooden spoon or spoon rest then pour it up and seal while hot and it seals and snaps the lid down when it cools. 

I'm craving a hot biscuit just thinking about it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

Guess I must be a lost cause. I see those berries and think they would make a good wine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

chet

Quote from: LeeB on August 15, 2021, 10:44:03 PM
Guess I must be a lost cause. I see those berries and think they would make a good wine.
I'm with ya Lee.   Dem choke cherries do make some DanG good wine  :)  I made more than my share durin' my edjamakatin' years.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!