iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard hat, chainsaw gloves and saw pants?

Started by Ranger8006x6, August 16, 2021, 09:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger8006x6

Hey Folks, I've been cutting trees on my property and once in a while helping someone else. I've never used a forestry hard hat with hearing protection and a face shield, chainsaw gloves and saw pants.  
I was wondering how many use this equipment and what brands are worth the money? Thanks

Old saw fixer

I use everything you listed, sadly not religiously.  Doing ground work I will use separate ear protection like muffs or plugs, and chaps if it's not too hot.  I rarely use gloves, I wear the fingertips out quickly.  I know I should do better, but...  Our hot humid weather in the summer is hard on me, at almost 73 and with "co-morbidities".  Certainly not an excuse for not protecting myself.  I have a new Protos Intergral helmet,  and an old Stihl helmet along with Stihl chaps and many pair of gloves with thumb, index and middle tips worn through.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

beenthere

Always chaps and hard hat, with ear plugs. 
See no safety reason for gloves.

"worth the money".. ?  What is the cost of a leg wound, head wound, or any other injury ??

Hard to answer that. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hacknchop

WHAT?  WHAT??   No I don't wear any stuff like that. Oh by the way do you have a spare band aid?
Often wrong never indoubt

Tom King

I keep foamies ear plugs in whatever pants I have on, including shorts in the Summertime.

I wear chaps when I'm running a big saw, and a helmet when I'm dropping trees.

Magicman

I see no reason for the safety stuff listed above....

I don't think that the brand matters as much as having and wearing it.

Wanna see my toes ??  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lostinmn

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2021, 02:04:33 PM

Wanna see my toes ??  :o
You still have toes to show, what a braggart!    :D  :) 

Ron Scott

Always wear the "certified" and OSHA required personal protective gear whenever running a chain saw! Magic man shows a few reasons why as can most woods workers.
~Ron

doctorb

Magic-  

What are the tears for those pics.  Some of them are 10 years old, I recall!

Good to hear from you!

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Don't do as I did before I knew better, and sometime after I knew better.  The proper safety gear will help you to bleed and hurt less......use it.

The reason for the pictures was to show some examples of what can/will happen when the proper safety protection is not worn.  As I stated, I don't think that the brand matters as much as using it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

It's an interesting question that comes up here often. In short, it's a no brainer, if you are doing the work, you wear the gear. You may wait a while before you 'get hip' but as you progress, you realize there is a reason this gear exists. If you are lucky you just have a close call or two and say to yourself 'hmmm, maybe I should do something about that'. (This happened to me, and I am sure many others. Too soon old, too late smart.)
 I also have found it interesting that after several years reading here, that it seems to be the older folks or pros that accept this gear as a 'given', whereas some of the weekend warriors put off acceptance for years. Count me in the group where it is a no-brainer choice. Why would I not do what I can to prevent more serious injury or loss of a body part AND loss of several months working time or worse? No work, no eat.
 I am currently doing some contract milling for a young fella down the road who has no time to run his own mill. Today was a rare day when I was not working alone and he brought a couple of young guys in to help with manual labor cleaning up around the mill and other stuff. These young guys had no idea what they are doing...yet. He had them hand splitting cut up slabs off the mill for campfire wood with his longtime hand cutting it up to length. Before they started, he handed out ear plugs and taught them the proper way to 'install' them and had some good fun making fun of them when they did it wrong and did not get them in correctly. No equipment started until he did a casual inspection to make sure everybody was 'good'. I was pleased to see a young guy was careful to train the younger folks up right. I ran the mill all day and they did other stuff like cutting and splitting a cord of wood for an order and then went out and did a short tree job late in the day. We all met up at the house around 5:30 and had a beer or coke before heading home and as tradition here has it, some of the older guys shared some stories about 'jobs gone wrong' which is a subtle hint as to why we wear the gear and take the precautions we do.
 So yeah, I wear all the appropriate gear for the work I am doing. But unlike Magicman, I do NOT wear shorts when milling. I don't care HOW hot it gets. I just ain't gonna do it no more, my allergies would go ballistic.
 And Lynn, nobody wants to see those feet, we have seen them before and the nightmare's are just starting to go away for me. ;D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 16, 2021, 08:43:29 PMBut unlike Magicman, I do NOT wear shorts when milling.
Yup, I/we wear shorts for at least 3 months out of the year, but....

We also wear welders leather waist aprons.  :)  Now notice that Luke and I were only stylin' our new aprons and not sawing because neither of us had the proper footwear.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2021, 09:04:40 PMNow notice that Luke and I were only stylin' our new aprons and not sawing because neither of us had the proper footwear.
Wait, WHAT?! Are you wearing those cute little preppy golf socks with SANDALS?! Don't you guys have a state law against such attire?
 I ain't much on fashion, but socks and sandals are something you would never find me in unless my house was on FIRE and I had to get out and that was all I could find.
 But then again, it is Mississippi, and my knowledge of the culture is very limited, having never been there. It must be something like the grits thing. (And BAM, there we are on food again.)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Magicman

You were supposed to be checking out da aprons.  8)

barbender

Magic, I feel like I watched a video at one of our spring First Aid classes, except all the pictures were of the same guy😂
Too many irons in the fire

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

olcowhand

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2021, 02:04:33 PMWanna see my toes ??  

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO! I haven't yet "unseen" your last post with a pic of your feet!
Falling trees, I always wear a Hard Hat with Muffs (I've had two near misses where I almost had my brainless scull crushed; one from a falling dead limb, and a hidden springpole that I unknowingly liberated from its constraint). Glasses always. Gloves always (there was one 13- stitch episode where I was afraid to remove my glove for fear that my thumb would come with it), although leather gloves are poor protection against a Saw....
PPE: Never inappropriate attire!
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

HemlockKing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 16, 2021, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2021, 09:04:40 PMNow notice that Luke and I were only stylin' our new aprons and not sawing because neither of us had the proper footwear.
Wait, WHAT?! Are you wearing those cute little preppy golf socks with SANDALS?! Don't you guys have a state law against such attire?
I ain't much on fashion, but socks and sandals are something you would never find me in unless my house was on FIRE and I had to get out and that was all I could find.
But then again, it is Mississippi, and my knowledge of the culture is very limited, having never been there. It must be something like the grits thing. (And BAM, there we are on food again.)
It's funny for me, I have no idea what you guys talk about when going on a bit grits, the slightest clue I have is it's a food. Grits in my neck of the woods means cigarettes, "you got a grit?"
A1

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

HemlockKing

Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2021, 10:36:01 AM
A forestry helmet saved my life.
Just a couple days ago mine too. Or at the very least a knockout 
A1

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 17, 2021, 11:28:19 AM
Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2021, 10:36:01 AM
A forestry helmet saved my life.
Just a couple days ago mine too. Or at the very least a knockout
Yeah back in June. I don't know if it saved my life, but it saved from a serious hurtin' and at least a lost day's work. As soon as we could find my helmet and my vision cleared, I was back to work. :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 17, 2021, 10:18:45 AM

It's funny for me, I have no idea what you guys talk about when going on a bit grits, the slightest clue I have is it's a food. Grits in my neck of the woods means cigarettes, "you got a grit?"
ANNND Here we go!
Grits is reported to be a food stuff and from what I am told, my lack of interest in them stems from the fact that I have never had 'proper grits'. From what I understand I was supposed to drown them in maple syrup which seems like a terrible thing to do to the syrup.
 To be fair I tried them again for breakfast in a restaurant on the way to the pigroast and they tasted just like the last time I tried them 40 years ago. Maybe they were the same ones. Kind of like oatmeal. To each his own. I think they have a different name for them up north but I forget it.

Ron Scott

Been saved 3 times by the hard hat over the years. The hard hats needed to be replaced!
~Ron

HemlockKing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 17, 2021, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: HemlockKing on August 17, 2021, 10:18:45 AM

ANNND Here we go!
Grits is reported to be a food stuff and from what I am told, my lack of interest in them stems from the fact that I have never had 'proper grits'. From what I understand I was supposed to drown them in maple syrup which seems like a terrible thing to do to the syrup.
To be fair I tried them again for breakfast in a restaurant on the way to the pigroast and they tasted just like the last time I tried them 40 years ago. Maybe they were the same ones. Kind of like oatmeal. To each his own. I think they have a different name for them up north but I forget it.
From what I read "grits is porridge boiled from cornmeal" , can't say I've had such a thing lol . I mean I wouldn't be shy to try some out but it doesn't sound super appetizing to me. I'll stick with my maple bacon and eggs for breakfast lol 
A1

btulloh

Ohhhh . . . Where to begin? 

Probably just best you stick with what you're used to.   :)
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!