iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What big is this?

Started by forrestM, August 23, 2021, 07:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

It's on eastern white pine. It has been a little over a month since it was cut. I thought they were going deep in the log but they seem to be active just under the bark which is a relief. They are so loud you can hear them chew as you walk by. Big piles of long skinny frass. 

cabindoc

You dont show entry and exit holes, but most likely powder post beetle.  what I see in pic is larvae.  Need an actually adult to really know for sure.  Powder post live about 1/4" below surface.
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

HemlockKing

Pine sawyer beetle larvae, at least I think, that's what i got eating under the bark in my
White pine logs anyway, and yes you can hear them! Crunch crunch 
A1

Don P

X2 on likely pine sawyer. Powderpost typically goes for the starchy sapwood of dry hardwoods and has fine frass. Have you seen longhorn beetles crawling around the pile?

HemlockKing

Quote from: Don P on August 24, 2021, 07:28:01 AM
X2 on likely pine sawyer. Powderpost typically goes for the starchy sapwood of dry hardwoods and has fine frass. Have you seen longhorn beetles crawling around the pile?
Them things always make a point of landing on me, I will see it coming towards me and will back away and the buggers will circle around the yard with me trying to land in my shoulder or head  >:(   smiley_thumbsdown
A1

mike_belben

Logyards should probably all have chickens around to control these little turds.  Theyre always just under the bark for me. 
Praise The Lord

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I also agree...larvae from pine sawyer beetle.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

HemlockKing

If you put them aside I'm sure magicman would love to have some to add to his lunch menu lol forbidden pasta 
A1

Thank You Sponsors!