iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 04 Light bars..

Started by realzed, September 05, 2021, 10:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

This was discussed at a couple of points earlier after Willard posted the announcement of these bars being made along with the RSPro chains by Stihl, and I am wondering if now the situation has changed in North America and especially here in Canada or if anyone on here knows or has any new info as to whether they are or will become available?
I do know, having seen both the RSP chain and the 04 bars mounted up on new MS261 saws in European YouTube review videos, that over there they are being sold and used - but last I heard they still weren't available here.
Hard to believe that Stihl wouldn't make or sell them here, considering how well combined they apparently enhance the 261's weight savings and increase cutting speed over the original standard OEM 3003 bars and RS chains.
All new 261's were supposed to come standard with the RSP chain over a year ago and I assume they do from catalog info - but the 04 light bars is where I'm drawing only blank looks and shoulder shrugs from all local dealers here when I've asked..
I'd love to get a 20"er for my saw to replace my 3003 version - but I'm wondering if that in fact, will ever be possible!
Any info??  Thx - Randy

Old saw fixer

Ive seen a pic in the online catalogue, US version.  Stihl dealer says not available yet.  I emailed Stihl Mid Atlantic tech about getting the Stihl progressive depth gauge guides, was told we don't get them because we have the standard raker guides.  We have no direct access to IPL's, no 04 or 06 bars or NK chains.  It's way easier to get Stihl parts if I have the part # and call them, the countermen at the closest dealership might know their John Deere parts (and I can look them up with a model/serial # myself) but are not as tuned in to Stihl.  Darn it, I miss the days of real saw shops!  By the way, my last two saw purchases were Echo, a CS-2511T for me and a CS-400 for my grandson's 15th birthday.

Rant over and I hope I shed some light on your query, @realzed.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

HemlockKing

I have a 04 light on a ms250. I don't notice much difference from the rollimatic E so far
A1

realzed

Quote from: HemlockKing on September 06, 2021, 12:41:50 PM
I have a 04 light on a ms250. I don't notice much difference from the rollimatic E so far
Were you able to purchase it right at your dealership or was it a special order type of thing?  
I'm wondering if those bars would even come in 20" length - but without any assistance from my dealer I won't have much luck, I'm afraid..
Hemlock - what length is yours and would you mind passing along the number stamped on the bar so I can try and 'hand-hold' my parts guys here and see what they might be able to come up with using your number in the way of additional sizes, costs, and delivery possibilities?
Thanks very much in advance - Randy

realzed

I see now using the Stihl USA on-line catalog, there is mention of Rollomatic E Light bars available to US customers - but no similar types are offered in Canada yet - just the regular Rollomatic E's in either large or small bar nose configurations.. 
I'm not even sure the 04 Light bars would even be anywhere near the same as the USA pictured catalog Rollomatic E Light versions since they appear to be available from 12" - up to 14" or so and reviews of them mention being mounted on MS 170 types of saw - so I'm thinking they are a different mount and only in lengths too small to be of any use on 261's..

HemlockKing

3005 000 7013

16” and yes I was able to buy it right at the dealer 
A1

realzed

Thanks - I will try this week to see what I can come up with!

Randy..

realzed

Amazingly my dealer did have one in stock!  I didn't ask for how long though.
He appeared quite happy to proclaim he did so, I'm betting he hasn't stocked them long - as a couple of months ago he didn't even admit to knowing anything about them.
Question - the bar he showed me was very small dimensionally compared to an old Rollomatic E bar - as in the tip has very a very small radius almost but not quite like one that could be used for carving.
It also is quite short (low in height) compared to again a Rollomatic by laying them on top of one another - probably by 1/2" or so..
Does anyone know if there are there different nose sizes or radii available within the 3003 mount family??
Its no wonder, judging by the smaller size that these bars would end up lighter.. The bar length appears similar to my present 20"er but it sure is smaller dimensionally otherwise!
Would such differences compromise the 'durability' or 'wearability' of it - especially at the tip or sprocket area?  I sure it wouldn't be as good for boring I assume - but I'm into firewood so that wouldn't matter much for my purposes!
I did note a display MS251 with one also (although a 3005 mount and 14" or 15") and it appeared to have a larger radius nose - but being that mount and shorter it may just appear more proportional.. 
Thoughts??    

SkeeterKev

Odd; what was the sprocket tooth count on that 20"/325/050 Stihl bar?  Most are 10; that would set the nose radius.

Stihl may be having the bars produced here or abroad and just marking them 04 light - whatever that means?

I have run this NK chain now for some time now.  I just purchased a 25' roll and spin to what I require. 

I have only used the 'E' bar on a 3005 mount on my 241 and found it light duty for forestry work.  I am now using NOS Windsor mini pros (3/8 LP).

Good luck 

teakwood

Quote from: HemlockKing on September 06, 2021, 01:15:58 PM3005 000 7013

I don't get it, this part number indicates a 3005 bar mount, the 261 is a 3003 bar mount (unless that has changed on the newer versions) so the light 04 bar should not work on this saw
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HemlockKing

I have no idea lol . I just gave the stamped number on my 04 bar for my ms250 as asked 
A1

Jim Chance

I saw an add for a UK shop that was selling up to 20" on line. The Stihl US shows up to 18". I would buy a 20" to try if I could find one. 

Thank You Sponsors!