iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An interloper

Started by Jeff, September 07, 2022, 11:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just saw the first black squirrel I have ever seen up here run from behind the outhouse out into the open, and then back into the trees. Yesterday I would of said they didn't exist here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Maybe he hitched a ride north with ya, thinkin' there was greener nut pastures UP north.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

I've not crossed that bridge since May 28th.

DeerMeadowFarm

There is a large population of them in Amherst Mass and I've seen a couple in my neck of the woods as well.

WV Sawmiller

My wife's aunt had several in her back yard in Mogadore OH not too far from Akron. I assume your black squirrel is a black phase of a Red, or what we call a pine, squirrel and not a fox squirrel. 

I hope he/she survives and starts a new colony for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

Only one I've ever seen was at the Ypsilanti KOA on our RV trip a few months ago, I did a double take when I saw it, weird and neat!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

newoodguy78

In this area south west of Amherst I do believe there's as many or more black ones than grey. Coming from an area that has zero I still find them neat to watch. 

KEC

Gray squirrels occur black in color. Never heard of a Red/Pine Squirrel that was black. As to a black squirrel showing up where they are not known to occur, so far as I know, most any kind of mammal can be melanistic. So a black squirrel in the UP may not have origionated from another area. I've seen black woodchucks. As I understand it, black panthers are melanistic jaguars.

Don P

There's a small town southeast of Duluth where they are protected, I saw more black than grey there. Every town needs some claim to fame. In the email today, BRDC just started preorder on squirrel T shirts with all our natives on it.

Ed

We've had blacks and greys here for 4-5 years now. Closest I ever saw them was 20 miles  north, took a while, but they're here.
Strange, but they aren't in town yet, our woods is 1/2 mile away.

Ed

Jeff

I suppose one could of hitched a ride somehow at one time, as we have more than enough at the Harrison House. We had a really cool looking one this past winter hanging out.

The most likely place for one to hitch a ride would have been in the frame of my lt30

The RARE Koala Squirrel! IN MICHIGAN! - YouTube

Ron Scott

Have 2 or more black squirrels in my back yard along with some grey squirrels daily. The blacks are a grey variety.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Have never seen any white or brown black bears here yet, but on the west coast they got'm. So one never knows when an animal shows up with different colors. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

A Silver Bear was just caught on a game camera in the western UP.

~Ron

beenthere

Ron
Would that be a silvertip bear?  Any pics of links to that catch?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Yea! Real interested since that's where I'm at!  :)

Jeff

Ron Scott

Yes, that's it. and in the "western U.P." I thought early reports said the eastern U.P. There are more pictures coming out now of it on Facebook. I haven't seen any follow up on it from the DNR yet though.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!