iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Maple Pictures NEW PICTURES ADDED

Started by Ga_Boy, November 04, 2005, 06:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Don't roll it off, just drive it to a swinger, and saw it right on the trailer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

what's up with that coat?  it's not that cold here Mark?  besides, all that work should keep you warm!  ;D

moving or breaking down big trees makes us feel important or something.  I dunno, but there is a definate sense of satisfaction.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Captain

Dan, he's from Georgia and has thin blood...

Those pictures sure put the size into perspective, don't they??

Captain

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey Ga Boy, you are right down the road from me. I run a Norwood bandsawmill, when I get a log that size i usually split it with a chainsaw.

I'd like to see your mill run sometime.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dan_Shade

That's my present method, Jon.  split it with a chainsaw, then put it on my mill.  where there's a will, there's a way.

of course, I have butchered a few trees getting them split too.  i've improvied my methods some these days

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Bruce,

This was a customers log I milled in his yard, over near Front Royal, VA.

Dan,

I milled this thing back in early November, that weekend it was in the upper 30's and low 40's.  As Captian points out I got thin blood, it was cold.  You are right that once I got going the coat came off.

Jon,

Yes, we are alomost neighbors.  I most likely will be milling next weekend, got a logging job this weekend.   I keep the mill set up.  You can come on down to Port Tobacco any time you want and take'er for a test drive.
Let me know when you can come down.  I may be filling a custom saw order next weekend.  If I get the job I'll let you know.  If not we can mill anyway.  I am picking up some Black Walnut and Ceder this weekend.  Got a Black Locust on the yard that has you name on it. ;D

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Weekend_Sawyer

Mark,

I'll IM you about next weekend.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Part_Timer

Looks like fun Mark.

The only part I didn't like on mine was the first couple of opening cuts.  Once the round part is off it's all fun from there.  8)

I found that it was easier to walk on top of the slab as you got lower and to the left side instead of reaching across when you're pulling the cut.  Took almost the whole log to figure it out but hay sometimes I'm alittle slow :D

happy holidays

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Part_Timer

Quote from: Captain on December 02, 2005, 06:19:21 AM

Those pictures sure put the size into perspective, don't they??

Captain

Craig I met Mark a Sawlex this year and that log can't be to big he's only half grown. ;D  I think all those grits stunted his growth ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D :) :)

Happy Holidays
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Ga_Boy

Now Tom,

Just think how much more stunted I would be if I had eatten oatmeal or hasbrowns. 

I am may size cause I ate grits and eggs during my development years. 8) 8) 8)

Part_Timer

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YA needed sausage gravy and bisuqites and ya could be full growed like me  ;)

tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Ironwood

KIRK,

Yes, there is a crane large enough to lift that log.................. It just weighs 30,000 lbs and needs it's own truck to haul it!!!  Chain it to a tree and drive away then you will be able to test the welds on your trailer and how much life is left in your Suburban.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

artenvielfalt

well that is a big tree, i tried to put my pictures of an even bigger ak in but after making the files smaller the format was wrong, but maybe still like to look at my homepage
www.art-en-vielfalt.de and under peterson sägemühlen and then under film/ galerie
400 jährige Eiche  400 year old oak  1,8m diameter and a hell of a job.
will make my own subject for people to look at my site 
take care
ulf

iain

I've grabbed a few pics of Ulf's big tree
it looks like a big Black Poplar (ive got 90 odd tons of it)
i'm not sure how to post more than one pic at a time, so if it dont work, there are seven pics of the tree and mill in my gallery

hope this works iain

iain

Not in the right order but you get the drift

iain

SwampDonkey

Looks like alot of work to me, either way ya swing it. ;D  8)

You have quite a crew gathered there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ga_Boy

Quote from: pauldumond on February 12, 2006, 01:07:33 PM
Are you selling any of the maple slabs?

Paul

Hi Paul,

This particular Maple was not my log, I milled it under contract for the owner.   I do have some Silver Maple for sale.

Mark

Ga_Boy

Ulf,

Nice log.  Got any pictures of the lumber produced?

Mark

millerik

Hello trying to get a message to Ga_Boy - I live in MD and am considering purchasing an ATS sawmill. Someone suggested I try to find you. Hopefully there might be a good time when I could see one of these mills in action.

Thanks for any help, Erik

Jeff

Ga_boy got out of the sawmill biz quite some time ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

He still follows the forum to an extent, where are you located, Erik?

Ga_Boy

Hi Milleik,

I sold my WPF  a few years ago.  Not sure if there are any swing mill owners in the area.

Where in Maryland are you located?

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!