iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

window fan

Started by bedway, July 23, 2008, 09:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Hey all, The wife and myself have this ongoing debate (those of you married can relate to this) ;D Her opinion is she points the fan so it is pullin the air in the window the fan is in. I contend that the fan should be pointing out, which in turn pulls the air in all the other open windows in the house. Now, given im no air flow scientist, i think the air being pulled in the open windows and out the window with the fan in it would tend to cool the house quicker. In the evening one of us will turn the fan on. The other will sneak over and reverse the fan when that person is not looking. Ok, whats your opinion?

pigman

If you want to be happy, do as the wife wants. ;)  Now about the fan, if you want to cool the whole house, turn the fan to blow out. If you want to cool the person in front of the fan, turn the fan to blow in.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Well we get a little more scientific here we open the windows on the north side of the house and put the fan/fans pointing out on the south side of the house.  Seems to be cooler on the north side. ;D
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

Jeff

My theory is that you aint goona cool the house with a window fan unless the outside temp has dropped considerably less then the inside temp, then you would want the fan pointed out, IF you have other windows open to let the cooler air in.  Other then that, we have our windows open, but the fans pointed at us, not even in the window.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Get two fans...his and hers. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bck

I keep my doors and windows in my shop closed during the day and just have the fan blowing on me, in the evening after it cools down I open things up and put the fan blowing out. I have tried it both blowing in and out but the fan blowing out seems to work better for me. I wonder if fan size makes a difference? I am using a 4' fan that moves a lot of air.

Warbird

Quote from: pigman on July 23, 2008, 09:21:16 AM
If you want to be happy, do as the wife wants. ;)  Now about the fan, if you want to cool the whole house, turn the fan to blow out. If you want to cool the person in front of the fan, turn the fan to blow in.

Agreed, on all points.  ;D

CLL

You could be like my wife and run the fan all night sitting on the floor, because thhe noise lets her sleep!!!! ???
Too much work-not enough pay.

bedway

Being this is my second marriage im well atuned into letting them have their way. :D A wise man knows when to shut his mouth, to maintain harmony, and to prevent insertion of his foot. Our fan game occurs in the evening mainly when were trying to help cool the house a little.

Roxie

Quote from: CLL on July 23, 2008, 12:49:43 PM
You could be like my wife and run the fan all night sitting on the floor, because thhe noise lets her sleep!!!! ???

I thought everyone did that........

Say when

isawlogs

Close da windows an start A/C .... 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Ceiling fans at this house.Or I probaly would be doing the same thing.Just say,Yes,Dear.It's easier that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mr Mom

you could get four fans,two blowing out and two blowing in. problem solved.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

bull

Im with Isawlog, open the wallet and get the AC going...... may cost $100.00 a month, sell an extra cord of wood and stay cool and keep everyone happy.... Ac season is only three months anyhow!!My wife has a chair on the porch if its to cold from the AC she will sit out on the porch for a while.....  She works in a bank and is in AC all day.
I work outside and am in heat all day, when I come in the house I want it cool and you can only take off so much clothing before the kids and guest start to complaing... you can alway put on a rob of sweat shirt.... today the AC is working overtime as a dehumidifier !!!!  Monsoon rains the past 3 days unreal.....

rebocardo

I agree with pigman, that being said, a window fan does not have the CFM to cool the house by pulling the air out. Far more effective to open the windows on the breezy (grass trees) side and use the fan to cool a small area by pushing cool air in.

Thank You Sponsors!