iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resource Books

Started by Ron Scott, December 08, 2008, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Montana State University Releases Book on Managing for Wildlife

A new book available from Montana State University Extension Publications, Manage Your Land for Wildlife, can help landowners manage both their land and wildlife.

The book provides information useful for landowners of both small plots and large acreages and is designed for landowners who want to improve wildlife habitat and populations while increasing enjoyment of the animals that make their homes on the improved land. The 256-page book has management information on more than 20 species of animals, including life history, habitat needs, water and nutrition requirements, disease and predation dangers and more.

For more information, visit the Montana State University website.
http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=6574
~Ron

woodtroll

Do you know of any books geared toward the private landowner for forestry?
Along the lines of "The Forest Steward".  We need some simple reference books that can lay out basic forest principles.
And if geared toward western forest that much the better.

Ron Scott

Google in Forestry Books and you will find many. Amazon.com has some good ones listed.
~Ron

jeffreythree

woodtroll, one of the best non-textbooks I have read on forestry in the west is Wild Logging: A Guide to Environmentally and Economically Sustainable Forestry by Bryan C. Foster.  I am currently rereading Working With Your Woodland by Beattie, Thompson, and Levine ,  a nice broad book meant for the landowner looking for income but based on New England forests.  I also like The Woodlot Management Handbook: Making the Most of Your Wooded Property For Conservation, Income or Both by Stewart Hilts, Peter Mitchell, and Ann-Ida Beck.  It is pretty basic.  I have a lot of these types of books on my bookshelf, so if you have a question on one just ask.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

woodtroll

Jeffreythree (or any one else for that matter), Have you read Common Sense Forestry by Morsbach?

jeffreythree

Yes, I have read Common Sense Forestry by Morsbach.  It is a pretty good book and a very good read.  He has some great stories to go along with the educational info.  A little light on technical and very heavy on single experiences on one property.  It has been a few months and several books since I read it.  I will get it down and flip through it for a little more detail after I get back in town Friday.  The Wild Logging book is very similar but based in the west, and the author interviews many property owners.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

Ron Scott

New book focuses on prairies and savannahs. The Michigan Natural Features Inventory (MNFI) and MSU Press have published a book called
Prairies and Savannahs in Michigan: Rediscovering Our Natural Heritage. It is available at stores for $24.95.

DNR listerve
~Ron

Ron Scott

Wildlife Management Information Available.

A publication on managing land for wildlife is available from the Department of Natural
Resources at www.michigan.gov/landownersguide. The guide gives advice on managing woodlands, grasslands, old fields, back yards and more.

DNR listserve
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!