iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

As viewed from Fairbanks, Alaska - Winter solstice (Mayan apocolaypse day) 2012

Started by Warbird, December 26, 2012, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Roger2561

Man, that was fantastic!  Minus 45F is a bit too cold for me but that was nice.  Thanks for sharing.  Roger
Roger

Magicman

I watched, and it was worth it, especially since I have a love for anything Alaska.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Nice video Warbird!

Reminds me of when I was stationed in Alaska, not as far north as you are though!

January time frame, Sunup 10:30, Sundown 3:00
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

clww

When I was still in the USN, we did a detachment to Eilsen AFB, just outside of Fairbanks. We had snow there on the last day of June!
Cool video from a beautiful location.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Warbird

Thought you guys might enjoy it.  The most interesting parts of that montage to me are watching the smokestacks go active and turn off.  I also like watching how the ice fog behaves at those temps.

Regarding the 9 or so days of -40 and colder temps we had, yeah it gets old.  The part that really drags you down is the lack of sunlight.  There are real biological things that happen in the brain/body.  It drives people to drinking and outright freaks some folks out.  Some folks get really whacky from about April through June, as their body chemistry adjusts to having sunlight again.  There's a lot of folks that plain just can't handle it.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Warbird

Don't know what the wind chill was that day.  There was only a slight breeze but it was definitely biting.  I was working in a building close to where this was filmed, that day.

DR Buck

Did you guys see the UFO flying across the top of the video?     :o   :D 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

Thanks warbird! very nicely done! Glad to live in the Ozarks!  Happy New Year! Looks like it will be a short day!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2012, 07:26:34 PM
I watched, and it was worth it, especially since I have a love for anything Alaska.   :)
+1  I've only been there once but at least twice a year I ask my wife if we can move there. ;D  It's been 12+ years since I started asking... :(

I've been meaning to ask you War what kind of daylight you get this time of year.  Very cool cold video!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Warbird

Glad you guys are enjoying it.  To be clear, I didn't film nor put this montage together.  I know who did, though.

ahlkey

My son and his gal moved to Fairbanks this past summer and they will likely be there long term.  I was just thinking of them again this evening and then saw this video which really was something special.  Thanks for sharing.

semologger

I think I'm with drobertson. I like missouri. Very neat video thanks for sharing

Den Socling

That is a great clip but I'm sorry, that's as close to Fairbanks I want to get! I'm better suited to places like Fiji.   :D

fat olde elf

I'm with Den.... This is a happy day for me as the days begin to get longer until June 21, the Summer Solstice.  My birthday is June 22 which is the next to the longest day of the year.That's daylight hours, they all have 24 hours...
There is substantial evidence that long nights and short days have a negative effect on the human condition. One solution would be to live on or near the Equator 12 and 12 all year long. Some folks would get bored with that...Different strokes, Different folks.  North Carolina is a great compromise, I can make sawdust ouside all year long!!!  Happy New Year !
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Thank You Sponsors!