iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting really short logs

Started by Nomad, July 27, 2013, 09:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I realize this has been addressed before, but I'd like to get a fresh prospective from anyone who does this regularly.
     I constantly get requests from people who want me to cut firewood length "logs" into project boards.  Until now I've turned 'em down, but I'd really like to be able to help these folks out.
     Anybody got a simple, quick and easy to use jig for holding these pieces?  Something to hold variable length, up to a few feet.
     I've seen some good ideas and have a couple more.  But I'd like to hear about one that's proven to work well, if anyone has one.
     I'd be doing this with my LT50, not the Lucas.  And thanks for any ideas!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

nomad, you need a parallel against the back support stops and a board to support the piece over the bed rails, as you cut it will take the parallel down as well but continue to hold the piece, after a few it will be old hat.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

2 pieces of junk 1X12 long enough to reach between the backstops. Lay one on the bunks, stand the other vertical against the backstops. Place the short log on the flat board and against the vertical board. Clamp and saw away, sacrifice the vertical board.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ga Mtn Man

I use a similar method as the last two posters but I add a 1" thick cleat screwed to the edge of the horizontal board.  After squaring up the cant remove the back-stop board, clamp against the cleat and finish sawing down to the 1".
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Paul,

Now that is a good idea.  That keeps the sacrificing part down to a minimum.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks Danny!  Can't take credit for it as I'm pretty sure I learned that from someone here on the forum. :P
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: WDH on July 27, 2013, 09:32:16 PM
Paul,

Now that is a good idea.  That keeps the scarifying sacrificing part down to a minimum.

I think this is what you meant to say ???.

WDH

Thank you Sir.  Went back and fixed it  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 27, 2013, 09:30:11 PM
I use a similar method as the last two posters but I add a 1" thick cleat screwed to the edge of the horizontal board.  After squaring up the cant remove the back-stop board, clamp against the cleat and finish sawing down to the 1".

I like this idea.  If I got asked to cut 20 shorts, I wouldn't want to supply and sacrifice 20 boards to do it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

I can help on the long stuff but have only done a little bit of short stuff so can't help much. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DR Buck

Quote from: customsawyer on July 28, 2013, 09:35:45 AM
I can help on the long stuff but have only done a little bit of short stuff so can't help much. ;D

Jake  isn't your short stuff anything under 22 feet?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ted J

Quote from: pineywoods on July 27, 2013, 09:25:34 PM
2 pieces of junk 1X12 long enough to reach between the backstops. Lay one on the bunks, stand the other vertical against the backstops. Place the short log on the flat board and against the vertical board. Clamp and saw away, sacrifice the vertical board.

Two 2x12's sandwiched against a 2x8 that will span across two bunks with cleats on the bottom outside and screwed to the 2x12's to keep them from moving.  Remove the middle board (the 2x8) and put your firewood length log in the space to keep it from moving side to side. You can then just keep cutting and screw a stop across the top of the boards to keep the log from sliding,  or replace the middle board and flip the log over flat side down.

Thank You Sponsors!