iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wet weather gear - recommendations?

Started by Bill_M, September 04, 2014, 01:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_M

Hi folks!
I'm from Ireland and most parts of the country get at least 200+ days of rain a year. Looking to get some advice on the best robust/heavy duty rain gear to buy. I've used fisherman type oilskins in Iceland while logging spruce with the Icelandic forest service and they worked brilliantly but where very cumbersome and way to warm for summer use. I was hoping some of you guys might be able to offer an opinion.
Bill

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Sounds like a place to use GoretexR or similar waterproof wear that breathes. Can't imagine working in a rubber or plastic suit.

But don't have a recommendation for a specific brand or style.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

Welcome to the Forum. You didn't state your purpose, i.e. working, recreation, or just walking to the store. But I'll give my two cents worth anyway (carefully). The Fishermen type like seen on "Deadliest Catch" are Grunden's, very heavy and warm. Helly-Hansen is the same way. I couldn't work in those. Not sure about the newer Goretex that Beenthere mentions, but the older stuff quit working as soon as the "pores/openings" filled up with dirt, grime, gas/oil etc.. and at that point they just wicked water through to the user. Most other breathable types do not hold up to a downpour, only a light shower. Personally, and not an endorsement, I use Tingley. They offer many types to fill the need of the user. But they are made in China, like tons of other things these days, if that is an issue.

SwampDonkey

I don't wear any in the warm months here. The rain is air conditioning in summer heat. In late fall when it's near 32 and half snowing then I'll slip some gear on over the Stanfield wool.  Otherwise just a work shirt over a t-shirt. Gets hot cutting brush. This summer my cloths have been soaked every day, and has hardly rained during work. ;D

I've had Gortex, it never worked very good for woods work. If your walking on the sidewalk, that's a heck of a lot different than woods. ;)

Boss asked me one time how I liked the new raingear I just bought. It told him it holds the water in pretty good. I've had lots of brands and a wide range of prices. I liked a brand of pants one time when I worked on the west coast in the rain belt. They were double lined and worked the best I ever had. It was constant rain and the woods was all mossy, so wet. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

celliott

I like my Filson tin cloth jacket. It's waxed cotton canvas. Heavy and stiff, and would probably be too warm for summertime work.
In the summer, I usually just get wet.
I've had other rain jackets, and they don't hold up in the woods. The filson is at least very durable, and you can re-waterproof them.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

jd540b

I second the filsons.  I wear a double tin logger coat and double tin bibs here on coast of maine once the weather changes.  I can't recommend them enough.  Tougher than anything out there.

thenorthman

Slainte

Third for the Filsons, although I cheated, can of filsons wax a decent heavy cotton shirt (we call em hickory shirts here, like denim but not as thick) and a junk store hair dryer,  in a pinch saddle soap will work instead of Filsons brand wax, the filsons smells a little better.

A Filsons shirt runs $180 (e400?) and up, and for most they are mail order only, a heavy cotton shirt is $29(e60?) at the farm store, kiwi saddle soap $3., used hair dryer $5. total $37(e74.?).

rub the saddle soap into the shirt just like you would with leather, then melt it in with the hair dryer, let sit overnight, presto Faux Filsons.  Been sporting mine around for about 8 months now, other then where the bar digs into my right should while carrying it and the fact that its stained all to Hel it works great.

Besides the rain in Ireland isn't all that bad, its really just a bit of a mist.
well that didn't work

Southside

That would be a 4th on Filsons double tin cloth, but they are not cheap.  I really like the idea thenorthman outlined, will have to try that one day. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

celliott

No, the Filson's aren't cheap, but you'd be hard pressed to wear them out, unless they get cut up!
I have a pair of "shelter cloth" bird hunting pants, and those are real stiff. I can just imagine a pair of double tin pants, wow...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Bill_M

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Looked up those Filsons, very expensive but I've always found you get what you pay for. I should have specified that yes It's working gear I was looking for, have some very good Goretex I use for hiking/climbing but no way are they durable for heavy logging work. I was also looking at the Husqvarna jackets. Used them before and they keep out the worst of the weather and are really durable. Any opinions would be really appreciated!
Quote from: thenorthman on September 04, 2014, 09:33:48 PM
Slainte

Third for the Filsons, although I cheated, can of filsons wax a decent heavy cotton shirt (we call em hickory shirts here, like denim but not as thick) and a junk store hair dryer,  in a pinch saddle soap will work instead of Filsons brand wax, the filsons smells a little better.

A Filsons shirt runs $180 (e400?) and up, and for most they are mail order only, a heavy cotton shirt is $29(e60?) at the farm store, kiwi saddle soap $3., used hair dryer $5. total $37(e74.?).

rub the saddle soap into the shirt just like you would with leather, then melt it in with the hair dryer, let sit overnight, presto Faux Filsons.  Been sporting mine around for about 8 months now, other then where the bar digs into my right should while carrying it and the fact that its stained all to Hel it works great.

Besides the rain in Ireland isn't all that bad, its really just a bit of a mist.
Nice cheap alternative, might try that as well. The rain in Ireland is usually very heavy, our west coast gets weather similar to the pacific northwest, just nowhere near as cold! haha

Thank You Sponsors!