iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hunting in a snowstorm

Started by Jeff, November 10, 2014, 04:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Whether I see a deer tonight is irrelevant. It was worth the walk out in the start of this first major snow just for the scenery. It is just flat out beautiful. Now it's time to sit down and settle back and hope there is a bonus to the walk out. I either just heard snow thunder or Blasting from  the  dolomite quarry.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

celliott

I LOVE being in the woods when it's like that. It's just awesome, beautiful.
You're right, whether you see anything or not, it's irrelevant.
I like it when it's snowing hard too. Sit long enough and you get natural camouflage  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jeff

Delawhere Jack

celliott

AHHH!
Makes me want to be out hunting!
Our rifle season starts Saturday  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

You are lucky Jeff. No snow here. And turning colder (20° below average for a few days).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Snow is a treat for us here in Mississippi, and hunting in the snow would be over the top.   :snowball1:

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Quote from: celliott on November 10, 2014, 05:54:25 PM
AHHH!
Makes me want to be out hunting!
Our rifle season starts Saturday  8)

Our rifle opener is Saturday too.

Those does look like their wearing their winter coats already.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

That's beautiful Jeff, that's on your new property right?  Those deer look to be in very good condition too, have you been seeing any bucks?

coxy

the only time i like snow is for hunting but not the first few days it makes it to easy for the city slickers to see them  :D ours starts Saturday to     witch reminds me i need to get my motorized tree stand running again  ;)   nice pic boss

drobertson

Nice deer condo! 8)  what's in the thermos?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Weekend_Sawyer

I love walking in a light snow. Everything sounds different almost like I'm wearing earmuffs.

Are you going to take a doe this year Jeff?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I've had every chance to take a doe, but so far opted out. I know there are some bucks out there. A couple decent ones. I'd just as soon leave the breeding stock be this year. :)

Jeff

Some photos shop rendering of a picture I took last night from my walk out to hunt.

chain

Quote from: Jeff on November 11, 2014, 01:37:42 PM
I've had every chance to take a doe, but so far opted out. I know there are some bucks out there. A couple decent ones. I'd just as soon leave the breeding stock be this year. :)

Around here, unfortunately, most all hunters [bow & rifle] will not kill a doe in season. Nowadays, most all the hunters have their cameras, they have their salad green to hard feed food plots, and their feeders. The doe are swarming, but the hunters are waiting on that super trophy buck they've watched now for three months on camera. they're not gonna shoot that old lead doe and mess up the plot area, no sir.

But at some point in the future when doe-buck ratios begin affecting trophy quality... will they begin shooting does?

BradMarks

Interesting the thought on shooting a doe, and I've filled a few doe tags.  Here in Oregon, archery hunters are allowed the choice (in almost all areas) in regular season. Rifle hunters not so, a separate doe tag is needed in a separate season (later).  The idea is to cull the does to a "manageable" level, whatever that might be.  But the practice has mostly ended in eastern Oregon, where there used to be tons of doe tags available, until one severe winter wiped out close to 80% of the herds in certain areas. Uh, maybe not such a good idea to shoot the reproducers.  Nowadays, IMO, doe tags are a revenue vehicle for the Fish and Game.  After just checking the synopsis, there are roughly 10 applicants for every doe tag issued.  Each applicant pays a fee, it is not refunded if you don't get the tag. 

Jeff

Ive no problem killing a doe, but when perhaps you only have 4 does left in a section due to predation and winter kill,  its a different mind set than when you have lots of deer. I wish we did have lots so I could shoot one with good conscience. There are NO doe permits available in the U.P. and the only way you can take one is during archery season.

loggah

Nice,my friend John who lives over in Boon,Mi.got 2 bucks ad one doe so far with his bow ,but hes been hunting steady for over 3 weeks. Rifle season starts here tomorrow,but we dont have many deer this year due to lots of snow last winter.i really dont care if i get one or not ,but its nice to get out in the woods again. We have no snow here yet!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

drobertson

What's in the thermos?  I was wondering what you had for lunch while enjoying the scenery,  we always enjoyed some bean soup in one thermos, and good ole black coffee in the other.  On a different subject, although does are a good harvest, I like Jeff, have to agree on leaving the home does alone,  they will at some time drag in a good buck.  One doe equals three deer next spring, on average.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chain

Quote from: Jeff on November 11, 2014, 06:37:58 PM

They say a photo[picture] is worth a thousand words....you certainly have captured the one and only artist of the outdoors...Mother Nature!

I was just figuring up of the only two does I've taken over the past six years both were lactating, rifle season, middle of November, southern Missouri. And, that's a big turn-off for me.

WmFritz

Quote from: chain on November 11, 2014, 04:56:42 PM

Around here, unfortunately, most all hunters [bow & rifle] will not kill a doe in season. Nowadays, most all the hunters have their cameras, they have their salad green to hard feed food plots, and their feeders. The doe are swarming, but the hunters are waiting on that super trophy buck they've watched now for three months on camera. they're not gonna shoot that old lead doe and mess up the plot area, no sir.

But at some point in the future when doe-buck ratios begin affecting trophy quality... will they begin shooting does?

The UP deer herd took a very hard licking last Winter... most of Northern Michigan too, for that matter. We've watched the same 5 Deer on our cams since the first of September. Two Does and three Bucks. I don't bow hunt, but my Dad does. Usually, he and his friend each take a Doe during archery season. I told him last month he probably ought to pass on the Does this year. He agreed.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

I think that a conscientious hunter hunting on their own land, or land they are emotionally connected to, is the very best judge on management of the deer within their "domain".

Jeff

Here are a few more photos from up here at the cabin from the last couple days.

Thank You Sponsors!