iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hunting in a snowstorm

Started by Jeff, November 10, 2014, 04:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A few pics from today and a real short video clip. I missed a chance to video two does standing straight up on their hind feet kick boxing.

I'll have to add the vid later. it's not wanting to upload through all this snow. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Very tranquil scenes in those pics. The path to the outhouse doesn't look very well used.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

I watched several deer this past two days. A friend of mine put up a tripod stand yesterday, I furnished the camo netting and hunted the stand this afternoon. About sunset a four point entered the harvested soybean field from a large tall grass and weed field. A few minutes later , three doe came out feeding as well. Then, a little later a  larger, wide racked, 8 point  came out. Not over 50' from my stand the bucks began to examine each other as how dogs do, smelling their back-ends and turning complete circles. The large buck became disinterested an again began feeding. Finally, the small buck put his head down and came over to the big buck which then lowered his rack down and pushed the small buck. That was all the smaller buck wanted, he went over  100' away and began feeding. I let them both go...too small..I only go ten pointers plus. ???

Actually, the reason I didn't shoot was, there is a monster buck in the area, my friend has the deer on camera and saw the animal at dark yesterday at 600 yds,  but thought it to late to take a shot. The buck is a non-typical drop-point 20 plus points, my friend says this deer has it all.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on November 19, 2014, 08:05:05 PM
The path to the outhouse doesn't look very well used.   ;D

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very good Vid....I like the color....blue and white.....looks VERY COLD!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

You need to like those colors, as its all there will be for the next 5 months

Jeff

Well, my trail cam says there is at least one big bodied legal buck here. I'd like to see him.

beenthere

Hope he shows up during hunting hours for you. Nice size.

Night time seems to be when they are being caught by the trail cams here too.

Open of gun season Sat. and a warming trend to bring wintry mix and rain with 15 mph south wind.
Have a doe and a couple buck tags to fill if the occasion arises.

Good luck to you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Quote from: Jeff on November 19, 2014, 12:15:19 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 19, 2014, 11:33:59 AM
you locked your keys inside the truck.

with it running and the cabin locked. I had a hidden cabin key, but a spare truck key is a couple hundred miles away,

I bet you never lock your keys in the truck at home.

Jeff

Ive had my keys locked in my truck twice, and you are right. The first time  I had it done, was by my friend Joe wade. We were back at a private lake to ice fish, given permission by a friend that had a cabin on the lake. They were gone, it was three miles back in, there were no other neighbors. Luckily thier pole barn was open and I found a coat hanger and a prybar.   This wasn't as scary this time. I knew I could get in as I already had to do it once,

celliott

Quote from: Jeff on November 20, 2014, 11:01:00 AM
Well, my trail cam says there is at least one big bodied legal buck here. I'd like to see him.

My Dad and I saw a nice, large bodied buck around our place before hunting season. I've yet to see him again. Still trying though!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jeff

So do you think it was snowing hard here near Detour Village last night?
http://youtu.be/lk1bj9X_5Uw

WmFritz

If that keeps up, your going to need Sprucebunny to pull her track drives off her quad and UPS them to you!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

It was doing it again tonight when I came up. I've not looked back outside to see if it let up. If it doesn't that means getting dressed and cruising and breaking the trails again with the quad to make sure I can continue to get around with it.

WmFritz

You could always bust out the snowshoes, but they won't help you drag that Big Daddy out.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

chain

You have to feel sorry for those bucks, for their body size their racks appear puny. Of course this  leads to deer yard management. Prescription : Push out snow and ice to where at least 50% of feeding area has some bare or stubble covered soil. Mix some 'crazy-buck' stuff [could use  dried ground castor gland and doe urine, just a pinch] in your corn or feed. That should kick-start the rut again. Poor bucks, no where to scrape. :'(

Tom L

Quote from: Jeff on November 14, 2014, 10:16:56 AM
This is my oldest personal possession. It is a knit hat I have had since at least before I was 12. It has been repaired many times, but it is still very wearable. I decided to bring it along this year. I usually don't wear it hunting, but this year I will.   The foam decoy is home made after seeing one a friend had. A little foam, paint and some cardboard paint templates and ya got a decoy! you can roll it up and stick it in your pocket.

cool decoy
I just started using a pair of Montana decoys this year, have been very impressed with the reactions
of the deer that have walked by. two times the deer came dead down wind of me, smelled me, yet they were looking at deer, the deer were very confused LOL
then each time they would circle around, and look at the decoys. forgetting about winding me and
wondering why the decoys were just standing there, the deer were paying no attention to me in the stand, made for some very cool encounters

Jeff

I've been trying to put some of the photos I've been taking this year deer hunting together in a video, and this is what I came up with after battling learning a new process the last two days. Not sure if this link gives you full screen, but it is best if you change it to full screen. Hope you enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TGiUVbxfTow

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

I enjoyed.  It was fun taking an extended look at your snowy world. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

Wonderful! ...a collectors edition, holiday card potential. Thanks Jeff, and Mother Nature!

WmFritz

Beautiful! I've never seen anything like it.
I think the photograph with the tall spruce is my favorite.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Thank You Sponsors!