iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw update

Started by Possum Creek, December 26, 2014, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum Creek

I finally got my belsaw hooked up to my 371 detroit and started sawing a few cross ties again. I really like how the 371 keeps the blade speed up better than my old tractor did. Thanks to the guys on the jack shaft idea.   PC

bandmiller2

Possum, glad every things running well. When you get a chance a roof over the mill and engine will make it a lot more pleasant,  especially in damp or snowy weather. Is their a good market for ties in your area.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Puffergas

A real shame no one makes a mill like that any more...   :o

http://youtu.be/rhVHg9WAzNo
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

dgdrls

Nice work Possum Creek.   smiley_thumbsup

Puffergas,  I think the closest you can get  to old Belsaw currently
is the Canadian Farm Saw.

search it on the web, 

Best
DGDrls

Puffergas

Quote from: dgdrls on December 26, 2014, 09:54:18 PM

Puffergas,  I think the closest you can get  to old Belsaw currently
is the Canadian Farm Saw.

search it on the web, 

Best
DGDrls

Learned something new.. ;D

Thanks..
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Possum Creek

Yes, bandmiller2 there is a pretty fair tie market now, there are a few old hand set mills being set back up so the owners can rake in some easy money  ;D.

bandmiller2

Puffer, the bandmills  pretty much replaced the small circular mills. There are still many around if a fella is interested. If you look at a Belsaw theirs not much a clever lad couldn't build. If you were going to all the work of building or even rebuilding an old one for little more you could buy a much more substantial handset mill like a Frick or Corley. Frank C.

cntryby

Ya'll can't imagine how surprised I am ta see someone from Possum Creek on here! He's my neighbor... sorta.

We have a little place just down the road at big possum creek.

Bet he knows about the fire departments fish fry! Great great folks all over the place around there!
Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

Possum Creek

QuoteBet he knows about the fire departments fish fry! Great great folks all over the place around there!
Yep, and they fry fish at the little store at the junction on Fridays.

Puffergas

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 27, 2014, 08:35:00 AM
Puffer, the bandmills  pretty much replaced the small circular mills. There are still many around if a fella is interested. If you look at a Belsaw theirs not much a clever lad couldn't build. If you were going to all the work of building or even rebuilding an old one for little more you could buy a much more substantial handset mill like a Frick or Corley. Frank C.

My First mill was an old Farquhar. Had a Belsaw dog on it..  :laugh:

:new_year:
Jeff

snowshoveler

Hello Possum
I am running a similar mill but with a cat for power.
Am interested in your setup with the engine.
I have all the V pulleys and the bearing blocks.
Any chance you have a few more pics of this setup.
I am planning to turn my engine the same as yours.
I have had enough of slipping flat belts and I have mine with 8 in the flat belt.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Possum Creek

Snowshovler, I can take some more pics but there really ain't much more to it, member Joe Lallande has some good pics of his set up just search "Joe's pictures" and take a look at a nice belsaw and power unit setup.    PC

bandmiller2

Shoveler, your right flat belts are a poor way to transmit power, but its all the old timers had. At the very least you would need 4 "B" series belts more and or larger would be better. My 100hp diesel uses 6 "C" series belts, one size larger than "B". If you have a clutch on your Cat. good if not you can use the belts as a clutch, moving the jackshaft pulley to tighten the belts. I have run my first mill with flat belt the flapping, no load to load, is hard on the arbor and tends to make the saw wobble best fix is to cross the belts if rotation allows. Frank C.

snowshoveler

A little more hijacking...
My cat does have a clutch and a 2 speed trans as well.
I have lots and lots of shiv pulleys (pallet load) some are 4 groove and some are 5 or 6.
Time to do a little reno at he mill.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

StimW

Quote from: Possum Creek on December 26, 2014, 07:18:48 PM
I finally got my belsaw hooked up to my 371 detroit and started sawing a few cross ties again. I really like how the 371 keeps the blade speed up better than my old tractor did. Thanks to the guys on the jack shaft idea.   PC

Just wondering, should the PTO shaft on the engine have an outboard bearing supporting it?
Not sure what kind of bearing is on that housing but it seems like a pretty good load without support??
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Don_Papenburg

That depends on the clutch model .  The ones on my 6Vs say use only for side loading.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

snowshoveler

i wouldn't think a belsaw would be able to load a 371 enough to even budge the governor.
My cat is a d4400 and my belsaw never loaded it. It would always slip the flat belt off if I was not quick enough with the feed.
I buried the blade more than once and the engine rpm never changed.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Possum Creek

QuoteJust wondering, should the PTO shaft on the engine have an outboard bearing supporting it?
Not sure what kind of bearing is on that housing but it seems like a pretty good load without support??
This little motor has pulled several mills and an edger or 2 in its life without an outboard bearing no sense in having one now.
Quotei wouldn't think a belsaw would be able to load a 371 enough to even budge the governor.
This detroit's governor is so responsive it kicks in when I engage the clutch and it really opens up in a wide cut. That makes it a great improvement over my old tractor with a draggy governor.                     PC

SPD748

Those "C" belts (depending on small sheave diameter and rpm) will transmit somewhere around 25 hp each. It looks like you have 4 in the first picture. -71 series Detroits usually make somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 hp per cylinder. This is dependent on injector size and rpm. Given that, I'd say you have enough belts to transmit the power. An outboard bearing is great for spreading the side load on the PTO, though it may not be necessary for your set up. The drive sheave looks like it's as close to the PTO as possible which is good.

There's nothing quite like the sound of a Detroit when the governor opens the rack! It's amazing to me how quickly they will rev.

What ever you do, please cover that shaft. My cousin was killed by his mill when a spinning u joint grabbed his coat and pulled him into it.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Thank You Sponsors!