iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood or Lumber ?

Started by 21incher, April 08, 2015, 06:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Yesterday I started cutting firewood for the winter after next and started thinking about a issue that arose after buying a mill. Which is more valuable to me, firewood or lumber. I usually figure about 16 inches and under or bent and twisted trees become firewood and everything larger goes on the mill. Used to be a lot quicker and easier before the mill when everything went into my wood pile. :)

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

r.man

Cut lots of lumber and burn slabwood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

I just cut down the ugly ones and the crooked ones. I know some members can make money on what I cut up for firewood,but not in this area.  :( I leave all the good looking trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on April 08, 2015, 09:19:42 PM
I just cut down the ugly ones and the crooked ones. I know some members can make money on what I cut up for firewood,but not in this area.  :( I leave all the good looking trees.

The problem is all of my good looking trees are large ash that are dying off. I usually take (2) 10'-6" logs off the bottom to saw and everything else goes in the stove. I now have enough ash lumber for a lifetime of projects. I was thinking about trying to sell some of the lumber on craigslist but by the time I was done adding in the sawing costs and having to buy firewood I think the logs are worth more as firewood.  I guess I will continue sawing the logs and only keeping the highest grade lumber then burn the rest.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

How long will Ash Logs still be good Sawmill Logs.?
I think they will be Fine for a few years
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Straightgrain

Both; heating first.

Once you have enough fire wood; send the quality logs to the mill, then you could burn the cull as firewood too.

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

kensfarm

Logs saved for the mill can always become firewood..  I get more firewood then I can burn just getting logs.. plus the slabwood.  If I get better logs then some may get moved to the bucking pile.  You can get some nice lumber out of that ash. 

AnthonyW

Quote from: r.man on April 08, 2015, 09:19:18 PM

Ditto. My sawmill is a 24' log splitter. It splits the logs first and cut to length for the fire place (opposed to cut first and split second).
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

bandmiller2

Depends what you need at the time. I would save a good sawlog or two then cut the rest up for the stove. Slab heavy, easier to cut than split those big chunks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Cutting my ash trees for firewood.
This stack on Jan. 30

Pulled out these sawlogs.

24 pallets stacked for drying and burning fall of 2016.

Empty woodlot.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

I am glad I only have about 25 % ash in my wood lot. Looks like they all gonna die  sooner or later.
Do you have any left ? 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Warped

I struggle with the same question. I often think of slabbing heavy, just cut the biggest square out of the log. Then again, milled stacks very nice. Then again, I have a problem bucking dimensional lumber with a chainsaw..............that's why I use a 12" DeWalt.... :D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

21incher

Nice stacks of firewood beenthere. Some day I will wizen up and start to use pallets like you. I wind up stacking moving and restacking way to many times.  :)

sandsawmill14

Quote from: r.man on April 08, 2015, 09:19:18 PM

x2   I only cut 1 pickup load of wood this past winter the rest was slabs of the mill ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

brianJ

One perspective to consider is your sawn boards are a savings account.   If you "have more ash than a lifetime of projects" or other species for that matter your inventory will go up in value over the years.    That is assuming a good place for storage.    In that perspective saw any of those better logs you find.

bullsram

I'm in the same situation as you. I've got some trees that are dead and need taken down but I don't know if I should have them milled or just make firewood out of it. There all red oak , smallest is about 20in in diameter  bigger ones might be 30in or so.

Thank You Sponsors!