iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter Solstice

Started by beenthere, December 21, 2015, 11:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

starmac

Yep, today is the day, it should stay daylight till 3:01 tomorrow instead of 3:00.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

Spring is on the way. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

yukon cornelius

Some years I really notice the short days but this year I have hardly noticed. The mild weather hasnt hurt my feelings either. It has been a pretty good year.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Grizzly

Y'all down south actually notice the shorter days?! Back in my trucking days I always appreciated hauling further south as over dimensional daylight restrictions left me with pretty good hours (in winter). But I never did live down south only visited by trucking on through.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Magicman

I can't say that I notice much difference because I have always lived here.  The big change that I see is when I travel North in the Summer.  The days are much longer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

From here to the cabin, Only 3 hours farther north, the summer daylight hours and winter the winter darkness is markedly different.  When we went to Costa Rica, that was something I really didn't care for. around 12 hours of each all the time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

We vacationed in 2008 in Ecuador on the equator and the days don't change over a few minutes throughout the year. For some reason this was great conditions for growing roses and a lot of the florists get them from Ecuador.

We had a private tour camping down the Amazon tributaries. We'd go to bed at dark and the birds and monkeys would wake us up every morning at the same time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

It is also interesting the day is the shortest it will be however the coldest will be in January of February because of the earth cooling.   :snowball:

Similar to hottest time being July and August thought the longest day is in June.

fat olde elf

The 21st of June is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. My birthday, June 22 is the next to the longest day. Day length is very important in horticulture. Many flowering crops can be manipulated by controlling day (and night) length. Familiar crops such as poinsettias, mums and Christmas cactus bloom as the days grow short. Most bedding plants and vegetables respond to longer days.  I love to see the days grow longer as I am a late riser and I have longer afternoons. Happy winter solstice !!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

mesquite buckeye

Soon it will be hot. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!