iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc, jpassardi and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Southside

Yes but that would get you the rough in work done, from there a router sled would clean it up once dry. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Thanks SS. ffwave   I understand, but you're a little far to borrow a router sled. smiley_thumbsdown
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

beenthere

Router sleds are pretty easy to make. (as long as you have a router). Cookies from that fluted ERC would make a pretty, impressive table. Especially with some of LogRite's legs. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

If you did cut it with a chainsaw then put it on the mill. With a hardwood backstop. You could see better. Then turn it to to fit better. Not sure I don't make or cut cookies.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TimW

Peter,
Think round table tops 3 inches thick 39x34 inches in size.  Not really a cookie.  I was thinking about an angle iron stop on the fixed mill stops, but not sure it that would help or hurt until I just try it.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2024, 01:52:57 AMRouter sleds are pretty easy to make. (as long as you have a router). Cookies from that fluted ERC would make a pretty, impressive table. Especially with some of LogRite's legs.
I had a router years ago, but lost it in the divorce.  Looking at router sleds, now, online.
I always can use more tools. :sunny:   What I need is more time. move_it smiley_thumbsup   Seems the older I get, the more I want to sleep. zzzz_smiley

TimW

I chickened out and cut the butt chunk into 2 halves.  I cut 6 three inch cookies.  The pallet they are stacked on is 40x48 inches.
The cookie on the top of the stack is 3.5 inches thick.

TimW

Dan R

Cut some Douglas Fir. Use it for re decking at Flat deck. 
8 2x-12s on the pick up. 

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Man, I wish I had Fir around here. Have an order for 8"x16"x18' and 16'  All I have that big is W Pine. Hemlock no way.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

TimW

TimW

Quote from: Dan R on April 20, 2024, 12:39:44 AMCut some Douglas Fir. Use it for re decking at Flat deck.
8 2x-12s on the pick up.
Is this deck a trailer deck or a house deck?  What is the wood of choice up there for trailer decking?
Down here it is White Oak.

Brad_bb

I got the new quick connector for the fuel tank for my mill.  Once I got the fuel flowing I think this has fixed it.  I proceeded to slice a small cherry 5/4 live edge.  Obviously the squirrel placed a walnut in the crotch of a branch and the cherry grew around it, and I sliced right through the middle of the walnut.  So I have a book matched set with each half of the walnut.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dan R

Tim
Fir is probably used the most for trailer decking. The PT hemlock is garbage. It is used for sun decks because Red Cedar is very expensive. 
Peter that fir was salvaged from a setting and was left behind after logging. 

Dan R

Today's cutting Red Cedar for fencing at a project of my Sons. It is now inside drying beside my Dads old work truck. Thought I'd show it off in a picture. He restored it with my Son in 1997. He was very proud of it. We take good care of it now in it's retirement
Dan

Wlmedley

Brad bb that is a interesting piece of wood.I'd love to run into something like that.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

TimW

Dan R,
 I am guessing 1966 C-10.

TimW

It was such a gorgeous day, I couldn't resist doing something outside.  So I put the Cedar Butt Chunk on the mill on 3 pieces of C channel so I could slide it over.  I figured out to wedge blocks of wood between the Chunk and the C channel.  I think this will work cutting soft ERC.

I didn't want any excitement today, so I will saw it tomorrow, after putting on a fresh blade.

Dan R

Wlmedley

I'm doing a little building project for a fellow and need some rot resistant 4x4s and I had one approx. 25" white oak log 6 1/2' long that fit the bill.Got some pretty nice boards out of it but was a little hard to turn. I'm going to have to quit putting such big logs on the mill.My back is not what it used to be.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

TimW

TimW

I cut six more 3 inch ERC cookies today.  Here is the biggest.

Magicman

Outstanding.  Keep that up and you will be known as da Cookie Man !!   ffsmiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

I might put a huge clock on it. ffcool  Now if I can only find one in the shape of Texas. :sunny:

Not an inserted clock like this.
Cedar Texas Clock.jpg

But one with numbers on the cedar and the mechanism inside with a hole for the movement and arms.  That would be awesome.

da Cookie Man?  I am a friend of da Cookie Monster!

Thank You Sponsors!