iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grapple loader trailers who has one and what brand?

Started by logman81, October 29, 2014, 03:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repmma

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 05, 2014, 03:20:48 PM
Quote from: logman81 on November 05, 2014, 06:25:51 AM
So I can take a trailer that has a gvw of 18,000 and register it for 14,000 so I can have a combined weight under 26k. Just make sure I'm not over that weight and I wont have a issue if I understand this right.

They don't look at registered weight, they look at the tag weight. If the trailer is 18,000, they add that to the door tag of the truck. You can't legally tow an 18,000 trailer with an 8,000 truck, so you are Class A, no question about it.

Not sure I buy that.  GCWR isnt even on some of my vehicle door tags.  Got an idea over axle has something to do with it also...  alot of one tons pulling smaller skidders around legally that probably dont have 26,000 GCWR on the door.  An 8,000 GCWR is barely legal for towing a boat evidently...
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

repmma

If thats the case, how do you find the GCWR on a 1 ton that doesnt have it on the door tag? 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Dave Shepard

GCWR isn't listed, but GVW is. You can register a 60,000 pound truck for 26,000, but it's still a Class B license. They don't care what the registration says, only the door tag.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

GCWR is listed in the owner's manual of my '99 Dodge 2500 Cummins, which was 20,000 max GCWR. I don't know what a DOT officer would look at if he had the truck pulled over. I know a new Dodge 3500 has a max of 37,500 with the Cummins/auto.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

repmma

So a one ton dually with a gvw of 10k is whatever weight truck plus TONGUE weight providing it doesnt go over axle and over 26k gcwr for class c?

State of maine title 29 a sec 2353 has some crap about 2 axle gcwr being a max of 34k lbs.  Also 1k lb reduction for each foot of axle to axle distance less then 18'.  That plus the tire contact pressure rule doesnt set the gcwr?

I heard about a tag on a 1 ton actually is legal for 54k because of the way the rules are.  Know one such truck exists in central ME.  The old man asked the staties about it because he was thinking it over.

Dave Shepard

Class A is a combination vehicle with a gross combination of 26,001 or greater, provided the trailer is 10,001 or greater.
Class B is a single of combination vehicle 26,001 or greater, provided the trailer is 10,000 or less.
Class C has several different definitions, usually a hazmat or tank vehicle 26,000 or less.

A 10,000 truck with a 16,000 or less trailer (or a 12,000 truck and a 14,000 trailer) would be a Class D here. State laws vary on Class C and D definitions.

snowstorm

Quote from: repmma on November 05, 2014, 05:25:20 PM
So a one ton dually with a gvw of 10k is whatever weight truck plus TONGUE weight providing it doesnt go over axle and over 26k gcwr for class c?

State of maine title 29 a sec 2353 has some crap about 2 axle gcwr being a max of 34k lbs.  Also 1k lb reduction for each foot of axle to axle distance less then 18'.  That plus the tire contact pressure rule doesnt set the gcwr?

I heard about a tag on a 1 ton actually is legal for 54k because of the way the rules are.  Know one such truck exists in central ME.  The old man asked the staties about it because he was thinking it over.
tire size counts. inch width of tread. 11 22.5=12000 on the front axle 12 22.5 13000 and up from there

terry f

What would be the problem with carrying a class A? I keep mine (wouldn't want to take the test today) even though I haven't drove for years. I had to get my medical card to renew my license last year, but still good to have.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Evilk

§ 390.5 Definitions.
Gross combination weight rating
(GCWR) is the greater of:
(1) A value specified by the
manufacturer of the power unit if
displayed on the Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety Standard (FMVSS) certification
label required by the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration; or
(2) The sum of the gross vehicle
weight ratings (GVWRs) or the gross
vehicle weights (GVWs) of the power
unit and the towed unit(s), or any
combination thereof, that produces the
highest value.

Question 11: A company has a truck
with a GVWR under 10,001 pounds
towing a trailer with a GVWR under
10,001 pounds. However, the GVWR of
the truck added to the GVWR of the
trailer is greater than 10,001 pounds.
Would the company operating this
vehicle in interstate commerce have to
comply with the FMCSRs?
Guidance: Section 390.5 of the
FMCSRs includes in the definition of
CMV a vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR
of 10,001 or more pounds. The section
further defines GCWR as the value
specified by the manufacturer as the
loaded weight of a combination
(articulated) vehicle. Therefore, if the
GVWR of the truck added to the GVWR
of the trailer exceeds 10,001 pounds, the
driver and vehicle are subject to the
FMCSRs.

78NHTFY

Quote from: repmma on October 31, 2014, 07:33:53 PM

Patu 575 loader, I think its a 7T trailer if I remember right.  Got it used.

Repmma--Nice looking forwarder!! I resemble that machine :D :D :D

Also have a 205 loader on a homebuild trailer.

Why do I have two?  Because I have a problem.  My names Ron and I cant pass on equipment at a "good" price!
If you have time, you win....

barniescamp

I got the Wheeler Jr by Metavic, Its a great trailer, very strong with the lifting capacity at 2,200 lbs at full reach. I tried to upload a couple pics but can't .
http://www.metavic.ca/en/content/wheeler-junior

repmma

Quote from: 78NHTFY on November 06, 2014, 11:39:41 AM

Patu 575 loader, I think its a 7T trailer if I remember right.  Got it used.

Repmma--Nice looking forwarder!! I resemble that machine :D :D :D

Why do I have two?  Because I have a problem.  My names Ron and I cant pass on equipment at a "good" price!

Nice!!  Good size tractor matched up to it, whats the hp? 

thecfarm

@barniescamp,I did not see an album for you to down load too. This should get you started. Looks like alot at first,but do it,2-3 times and it gets easier.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

78NHTFY

repmma--it's a Case 695, 4WD, with 70 HP.  A bit tired but no oil leaks.  Had to replace a front case drive shaft oil seal last year but that's all I've done since owning it (keep fingers crossed...).  Put too much hydraulic fluid in the tractor and blew out a couple of O rings in the Forwarder but that was a quick repair.  How are your forwarders running? I was thinking of getting one for the road but these discussions about DOT and weight restrictions are making me think better of it.  Think I'll just plop a few logs at a time onto my 18' trailer and take them 5 mi down the road to the local mill.

If you have time, you win....

repmma

78NHTFY - the homebuilt trailer one I bought had a week mount for the loader, I knew it from the get go but pushed it thru getting my garage lumber out.  Now that the garage is weather tight I neef to redo where the loader mounts.  It wad built with 1/2 plate which is just too thin.  I might take that loader and mount it on the back of a 5th wheel I have for on the road.  On the back to help keep the extra weight on the tongue which is probably on the heavy side anyways.

The factory trailer unit is very nice!  Cant beat the way it gets thru the woods.

The loaders are practically the same, the one on the factory trailer is older and maybe one size larger but you cant say either one was used hard at all.

Ive got a 63hp Ford 5030 that probably compares well to your case.  Ive got work to do on the steering ram, tie rods, bucket ram, bad tube... etc etc.  Lots to do before getting to my winter cutting projects. 

Eski

2007 Silva Hill 19,000# gwr. Two 9,500# axles. Nokka loader with a chair. Don't have the model # off the top of my head. Loader powered by a v-twin air cooled engine. Grapple extends 5'. I like the set up but
am considering upgrading to full-size equipment as my biz grows. Great way to start. With the right operation this is a good set-up.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

Mtn-Man-Hogany

Quote from: terry f on November 05, 2014, 03:53:17 PM
  Brendonv, how come a guy with a trailer and grapple, reliable source of cheap or free wood, couldn't make some good money. Even cutting up with a chainsaw and running through a splitter, it seems like a guy could clear a couple hundred a day with less headache. Providing a good back and a place to process it, seems like a good deal, even though there are easier ways to make a buck.
Ive been doing this for the last four years. I fell, buck, and sometimes split in the spring/summer then sell/deliver in the fall/winter. Net close to 40k. Im a one man show. I would never drop the $ required for one of these grapple trailers. Mostly because im 100% sure I would destroy it in less then 1 season. I cable yard practically everything I fell and then hire somone with real equipment to pick it up and haul it to my place. 16-18 cords at a time. It can be done. Im doing it. Just not with one of these trailers. Id tear one up quick, being careful.

Ed_K

Quote from: Mtn-Man-Hogany on February 18, 2019, 04:29:06 AM
Quote from: terry f on November 05, 2014, 03:53:17 PMId tear one up quick, being careful.
I have a flex 380 forestry trailer and a loader from Bailey's both have been worked on. The loader has been rebuilt with bigger pistons and the reach has been extended from 9' to 13'6". The trailer needs new bunks all around as the old ones are bent bad. Most of the trailer was built with 3/16" stock. The main beam is 1/4".
Ed K

logman81

I'm picking up a farmi loader locally in next couple weeks for real cheap.
Precision Firewood & Logging

timberframe

I have an Anderson forestry trailer with power pack and winch.  Just got it this fall, but it's  been great so far.

Did a fun little video of me salvaging a hemlock with it.

Salvage logging a hemlock tree with the Anderson forestry trailer - YouTube

B

David-L

I have a Vreten crane and a kelsa 9T trailer. No brakes or drive . I run it behind a Valtra 900. I have to say this and some may disagree but the Scandinavian forestry equipment is nothing but quality. Built to last. The Tractor is pre Agco and totally built in Finland.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Kwill

Patu 575 loader, I think its a 7T trailer if I remember right.  Got it used.

Why do I have two?  Because I have a problem.  My names Ron and I cant pass on equipment at a "good" price!
Dont know what these cost but it wouldnt be hard to build one.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!