iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ground Moisture

Started by terry f, May 28, 2012, 09:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

All things being equal, snowpack-rain-heat, which forest would have the most moisture in the ground at one, three, and five foot depths? Would a new clearcut have more moisture at 5', than a mature forest, since no roots are pulling moisture. I would assume a mature forest would have more at 1' than a young forest, just from shade. Is evaporation more of a factor, than the trees pulling the moisture out of the ground?

MHineman

I'd have to say it will vary by the time of year, soil type, and species of trees.  So... no real help in answering your question, just more to think about towards an answer in your situation.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

SwampDonkey

No hard rule. Take cedar stands (northern white). Sometimes you can cut one out and the water table rises and on other sites it gets dryer. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Roots will pull out much more water than evaporation.  The amount of water roots can remove in a day is more than you would guess.  If the three forests were growing on the exact same soil, side by side by side, the one with the most amount of total vegetative biomass will remove the most water in the rooting zone. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!