iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Dad

Started by Raider Bill, August 20, 2010, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

My deepest condolences on the loss of your Dad,Bill.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

DouginUtah

Raider Bill,

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. My dad died 22 years ago so I have an idea of what you are going through. Our thoughts are with you.

-Old Doug in Utah <g>
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Gary_C

Bill, sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine about a year and a half ago at 92 years old. Even though he lived a good and long life, it was hard to lose him.

My dad was actually considering heart surgery just before he passed and even had an appointment with the surgeon scheduled for about a week after he died. I know he was not planning on the surgery to be the end, but knew his odds of surviving with his heart condition were not good.

But I also heard my mother and father arguing over who was going to "get" to go first and I guess dad won or lost the argument, depending on how you look at it. My mother is now in an assisted living home and somewhat unhappy that she did not get to live her last days at home like dad did.  ::)

Sorry I didn't get to the pig roast this year and meet you. Sounds like it was a good time. Maybe next year and we can lift one for our dad's.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Banjo picker

I shead a tear with you...and I'm known for being an ornery ole cuss...I lost my dad to a tractor accident in 74 when I was 18, and I still miss him...Your account helps me rember the man he was...hang in there...and ride that bike , if you wind up in North Miss.  you got a bed to sleep on...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

OneWithWood

Bill, it has been a few days now and I am sure you have been riding a roller-coaster of emotions as you sort through material and non-material things. 
Thank-you for sharing your last days with your dad with us.  I am glad I got to meet you at the pig roast because it brought your story to life just that much more.
You will be in my thoughts for some time.  Ride free and keep living the good life.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I believe that the service is tomorrow, so keep Raider in your thoughts.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RavioliKid

Bill,

I am so happy you got to spend some with your father. He sure had a good long run and it sounds like he was a great man.

I love the part about the Mason jar. Just be sure to label it! ;D
RavioliKid

Raider Bill

Thanks everyone. Everythings been going along somewhat smoothly, the wake and burial was nice. The 10th Mountain Division sent a Burial detail from Ft Drum NY which would have made Dad happy.

Dad wasn't a church goer at all. He gave me  list of preachers to ask to do his service the first 2 declined. the 3rd one a brand new 27 year old female with a nose ring had just replaced a named one. She agreed not knowing anything about dad. Her church now gets $33k the first 2 got a call from me outlining the terms of his will in that aspect. Both said that had they known about the "donation" they would have made arrangements. Sorry dudes.

For those of you that wondered yes the Cousin is a politicition. A friend of my dad said he  was surprised the cousin never came to confirm Dad had really passed if nothing more than to know he won't be called out in the grocery store anymore. :D Dad would do his very best to embarrass this guy anytime anywhere and in a very loud manner.

Going through at least a century of papers and picture really was a eye opener but that's another story.

Anyway thanks everyone.

Oh, played Hay Traders Amazing grace at the service.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

Bill, good seeing you back here.  I appreciate you giving us a glimpse into the life of you and your dad.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

My Dad died in 1970 but I remember him calling out people too.
He was known as a no nonsense kinda person.  Maybe we're related. :D
Glad to see you back. :)

asy

OMG! I'm absolutely stunned that a preacher, ANY preacher, would refuse to bury someone.

OK, I admit, it's a lot of years since I belonged to a church, but, I would have thought that any "man of God" asked to perform this kind of service would do so out of the goodness of their Christian Heart...  I just can't get over the refusal.  I also can't get over them ADMITTING They would have answered differently had they known about the money. I sure hope some of their parishioners find out about their refusal. I'd sure as heck HATE to be working my butt off raising funds for a church to do repairs or whatever (there's always something that wants doing) knowing my preacher's prejudice just cost us over $30k!

Anyway, sounds like the one who said yes would have suited your dad best anyway.

When are you looking at getting home? Are you going to be there a while sorting things out?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

Take care Bill. Thanks for the update. It is odd for a preacher to decline a service and if it's about money, they aren't much.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Was just thinking about you today Bill hoping things were ok.

Those 1st two preachers need a lesson with the good book smacked upside their head.

WH_Conley

I have never heard of any such thing. Maybe they need to read that book a little closer.

Sorry for the loss Bill.
Bill

DanG

It sounds like your ol' Daddy left a legacy of life lessons for more than just the few of us, Bill. :D  Now what I've been wondering is, did he specifically state that you had to wait until the cousin is in the ground before applying the contents of that Mason jar? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

I agree with Dang and suggest you research the details of timing on mason jar. You might also check into saving a little bit in the jar for the two preachers.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

isawlogs

I specially like that you let them know afterwards, good on them for not wanting to perform a service that is called apon them to do. Save the contance of the jar for what it was intended to do , Make your own for them.  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Not to disagree with letting the preachers know the end result of their turning down the service, but preachers are not public servants. That seems to be implied here in some responses.
They usually have significant responsibility to the members of their church and denomination. Also, depending on the size of the Church they are responsible to, they are very busy with their job ( I have a SIL who is a pastor and he misses a lot of family functions due to parishoners dying, facing life situations, and keeping up with his many responsibilities).

I know they reach out when they can to care for requests and have to make some tough decisions.  Planning ahead would be the best way. IMO

QuoteDad wasn't a church goer at all
Maybe Dad had some late remorse or heavenly feelings that were hard to express any other way. But I don't think buying ones way in will work.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

The first one a Monsenignor  flat out declined. Said even though he knew Dad well, Dad never went to church so he wouldn't do his funeral. They used to be pretty good  friends. Dunno what happened but I do know Dads question about religion was did god create man or did man create god. It always sparked a good debate
  Number 2 cited a prior commitment ok that's cool.

When number 3 showed up at the house I asked her were her Dad was cause she was so young and I might add quite pretty.
As far as leaving the money he told me in case his religious beliefs have been wrong all these years he was hedging his bet. Cracked me up

fishpharmer

The first preacher missed a great opportunity to show the love and forgiveness Christ preached and answer your dad's question.  Maybe God didn't think he deserved the money. :D :D  The second guy had a legit excuse.

Ms. Pastor nose ring might have experienced one of the highlights of her career.

One question.....did she ride with you on the Road King? ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

isawlogs

Well after they found out about the terms they would of made arrangements .. ha ... collect the liquide and use it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: fishpharmer on August 29, 2010, 06:21:50 PM

One question.....did she ride with you on the Road King? ;)
Funny you should ask that. ;D I offered but my daughter reminded me that she was older than the preacher chick. My Son just rolled his eyes but later agreed she was a cutie.shame we would have made a good pair too in my opinion. Irish girl. Had a lot of fire and brimstone in her sermon I didn't see that coming, surprised me actually. She had a swig of Tenn frezzer water I had on hand without batting a eye lash. May have been the irish blood.    

Patty

Some things are just meant to be, Bill, and I think this was one of those times.  ;)

She seems to be the perfect answer to your dad's funeral. You did good, Bill.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Well I'm back in Florida. Been here a couple days but have been playing catch up at work.
Got to spend some time in Tenn with my Son for a few days alone after we left NY that was real nice considering the circumstances.

Thanks for all the nice thoughts everyone.

Mooseherder

Thank You Sponsors!