iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value of an old circular mill?

Started by beamero, February 09, 2014, 05:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beamero

Hello all,
    New here. I grew up helping my uncle and dad saw timber on an old circular mill. Both have passed, and I have inherited the machine. It was moved from it's location, and no longer has a power plant. I do have the sawdust transport chain and setup that moves the sawdust away from the mill. I'm thinking about selling this mill so I can buy a Wood-Mizer LT28. Any idea on a value of an old circular mill like this one? I feel bad that it's just sitting out in the weather now. 

Thanks much!
Stephen

2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

bandmiller2

Stephen,  You already own a mill why not set up dads mill its all on steel and doesn't look to be in bad shape. Old mills are worth what someone will pay  and that varies with where you live. Probibly a couple of grand if complete. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ddcuning

The old mills around here with no power go for 1500 to 2000.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

sealark37

If you were the prospective buyer, you could expect to pay around $2000 for your sawmill.  It looks to be in pretty good, complete condition.  I would suggest looking for a suitable power source and proceeding with what you have.  For a fraction of the cost of a new band mill, you would be prepared to do some serious sawing without a huge investment.  If you have access to three phase electrics, you could use a large electric motor, (good).  If not, start looking for a diesel power unit.  I would suggest govdeals.com.  They often have units from the old Savannah River Plant.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

lawnsbylane

Im with sealark i would find a power unit and use what you have i think besides after setup you will like the circle mill better

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

NMFP

Seeing that its mostly steel now, you are light years ahead of most wooden frame mills out there.  Clean it up, make it operate well and find a power unit.  It will out cut anything you will find as far as a band mill.

Too bad you weren't closer as I would pick that thing up in a heart beat!

beamero

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do miss the old mill's running days! I guess I'll have to give it some thought. I don't have 3 phase, so I would have to fine a new powerplant if I decided to run it again. I suppose that I'm drawn to the portability of the band mills.
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

beamero

I do have Massey Ferguson 275. Could the PTO be used, or would that be too much trouble?
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Autocar

Its a right handed mill so you could run it with any truck/car engine though the transmission.I ran a number of mills off a 327 chev. motor with a four speed transmission running it in first gear with a belt driven govenor.
Bill

beenthere

Quote from: beamero on February 09, 2014, 01:52:08 PM
I do have Massey Ferguson 275. Could the PTO be used, or would that be too much trouble?

Tractor_data shows you have 67 PTO HP, so should have fair amount of power.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loggah

The tractor should run it if the saw is hammered for 540 R.P.M.s. you may have to feed it a bit slow because most tractor mills run saws with fewer teeth, you would probably need a 100H.P. power unit to run efficiently. I run my Belsaw with a Massey-Ferguson with 60 H.P. at the PTO on a 46" saw but with only 30 teeth.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shelbycharger400

I paid 1500 for my belsaw with a 42 in blade,  wood frame, all complete with the auto feed,its belt drive , no belt, no powerplant. Still not back together

Possum Creek

That sure looks like a nice heavy mill I would hate to sell it for a small part of the price of a mid size bandmill when you could saw enough with it to buy a dozen of them and then hand it down to your kids but that is your business not mine.                     PC

lyle niemi

If you decide to keep the old mill I'm sure you would have plenty of good advice from your friends on FF

ET

Beamero, I agree with the previous posts. Fix er up, find some power, and you will be very happy. You will be sawing all you want to with little xpense.  Use what you have and see how you like it and go from there. Its much more fun without a monthly payment.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

beamero

2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

beamero

You know what's gonna happen, I'll probably end up keeping that mill and get the Mizer in addition lol.
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

drobertson

I know of a few that do that very thing.  It looks like a dandy from the photos,  head blocks look good,
as does the rest from the photo,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum. I don't know what your goals are for milling, but if you could set that up PTO then you wouldn't have too much invested, and you could keep a piece of family history. Then you could buy the LT28 with the lumber you saw off of the circle mill. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ddcuning

Welcome beamero, I'm with these fellas! Fix it up and start sawing.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

yellowrosefarm

"Fixer upper" basic Frick mills around here were selling in the 1K to 1500 range for years. I've seen 2 on C-List in the last month in the 6-700 range and getting reposted because no one is biting. I tried selling my 01 3 headblock a few years back for 1500 and only got one guy to come and look at it. From what I've seen these days no one wants to buy something that needs a lot of work. They want to pay scrap price for stuff in perfect condition and nothing at all for junk. Me, I love junk, but I have too much of it now to buy any more. :D

HPPDRoss

I live in upstate sc, what part of the state do you live? If you do decide to sell, let me know.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: HPPDRoss on February 10, 2014, 09:35:19 PM
I live in upstate sc, what part of the state do you live? If you do decide to sell, let me know.

I've been to Honea Path several times. Good country.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beamero

I live within then Whitmire,SC zip code.
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

chopperdr47

Ive been working on an old Frick mill that's very similar to yours in design and age and the same condition. I was originally looking at a smaller bandsaw when I came across this one with a deal I couldn't pass up. Its been quite an education since I don't have any experience with anything like this, but I know the mill intimately now. If something is going wrong, I'm comfortable that I'll be able to figure it out.

It was very satisfying when that first board came off. I also like it when people come by and see a piece of history at work. Circle sawing's different than band sawing. Some like it better and some don't. I like operating it and I like the texture. My customers (I already have a few) do too.

Some people like a new slick Honda Goldwing, others gotta have a classic Harley. With all that said, I love my big old Frick, but I'll get me a portable bandsaw one day too.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

beamero

I didn't know any different growing up. I assumed sawing logs was a normal activity. I was helping my uncle and dad with turning logs, carrying lumber, throwing slabs, etc.., since I was 8 or 9. That saw mill has definitely help mold my work ethic, that's for sure. Now I'm getting all sentimental! More than anything, it makes me miss both of them dearly.  :-\
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

dail_h

I own both types. I have a Lumbermate that will be 10yrs old in april,,and a belsaw that i have no idea how old is.Have sawed a bazillion ft with the Lumbermate,,,and a good bit with the Belsaw too.Havent had it as long,, but saw with both as feel the need.For ties, and short blocking,the Belsaw will make a monkey outta  the Lumbermate,,but for long or wide, or special stuff,, it's the Lumbermate hands down
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bandmiller2

An old handset circular mill is the best buy for a mill, they can be had for half what  even the smallest bandmill will cost you and you have a real mill that will put out for you and your grandkids. But, and a big but, they are not a turnkey mill and are a minor industrial site. It will take land and skill to setup and operate. Its more of a way of life than a hobby. Theirs nothing like feeding a big log into the saw and hearing your diesel come up agenst the governor and slice through, quick gigback and set on the fly for another board. Frank C.

SquareG

A gang rip/edger really helps a circular, from what I've seen shopping around for a mill and/or visiting sawmills to deliver logs.  Increases the cost and complexity.

Babylon519

Bandmiller, I love your description of the minor industrial site and giggin' the logs. There was a comment I liked on FF last year: something about a band-miller sipping a coffee during a cut, where a circle-miller wouldn't even have time to pick up his mug before being into his second cut.  :D
The old Belsaw I got last year was $600. I had kept an eye on it for many years, and was ready to pay $1,500 for it. I know I got a deal.
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

bandmiller2

Jason, sometimes I get an offbearer to tail on the mill he thinks its a piece of cake when I'am slabbing, but once I get the cant the carriage never stops ,he grabs one board and the next is ready. Yes you did get a deal on that Belsaw. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!