iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new client and Quarry update

Started by teakwood, February 27, 2023, 07:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I've looked at the ones with an auger in the bucket, it would be nice. I'd say you are doing labor right if they don't mix by hand, I'd rather dig ditches  ffcheesy.
We did between a half yard and a half m3, I think ~28 bags of sakrete premix yesterday for some porch footings and had a little over $200 in it. I'm going to have to stockpile gravel and sand here and just buy portland if we do any more small jobs, things have gotten insane.

doc henderson

they make a trailer that a homeowner or small job gets loaded, and my understanding is the tires on the road turn a paddle to keep mixing the mud.  rinse and return.  maybe can find something like that at less expense.  build a track around the quarry. hey joe, 5 gallon of water and three laps around the quarry at 30 KPH.   to whom do you sell all the crushed rock from your quarry?  maybe an off the books barter.  do you buy cement in bulk, or the 90-pound bags?  I have a concrete bucket with a spout to pour premixed concrete.  used it for the pool and 400 linear feet of retaining wall.  on a footer, and 4 feet tall, 8 inches thick.  had a vinyl liner to mimic slump block we have on the house.  trouble was when the form was full you had to tip the bucket up to stop the flow, and instinctually all the concrete guys tend to lean their head right over the spout.  lots of potential stiches and CT heads.  I attached a pneumatic vibrator to help flow as needed.  not perfect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

This morning i hacked the porch down from the old house and then excavated the cliff away, about 12 truck loads later i finally have the space for the second half of the roof. that was a difficult dig, no space to turn, pressed inn between the kiln and new structure. but all went well. Men, the old house really hangs up there now  ffcheesy 

IMG_20240307_083226.jpgIMG_20240307_174416.jpgIMG_20240307_174457.jpgIMG_20240307_174858.jpg 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Forklift made a nice working platform. don't judge me on the nasty sideroof, it's just for one rainseason. Next summer i build the second half of this shed.

IMG_20240311_074530.jpgIMG_20240311_125505.jpg

Got 34 packs under the roof so far, will fill with at least one more row, that gives 42 packs or about 70m3 of lumber, that's awesome
 IMG_20240311_170525.jpg

nativewolf

Congrats.  Is that just clay in front of the pad?  Could you put crushed gravel there?  Is there a local quarry that could supply some stone?   ffcheesy

Just thinking that you don't want the rain to splash dirt back onto the dry clean lumber.   Terrible for cutting teeth.  Or, install a temporary gutter and drain system (which would have to be very large to handle the thunderstorms in CR.

All looks great, congrats again!
Liking Walnut

barbender

TW, I don't think you have to worry about anyone here judging your work. I think you are your own toughest critic☺️
Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on March 12, 2024, 08:12:20 AMCongrats.  Is that just clay in front of the pad?  Could you put crushed gravel there?  Is there a local quarry that could supply some stone?  ffcheesy

Just thinking that you don't want the rain to splash dirt back onto the dry clean lumber.  Terrible for cutting teeth.  Or, install a temporary gutter and drain system (which would have to be very large to handle the thunderstorms in CR.

All looks great, congrats again!
No, it's not clay, it's all pure stone, we did some backfilling by hand with some finer material so the stones get leveled a little bit, better for walking. i will still hang a plastic or tarp on the side of the lumber. we have heavy rains with wind and the little sideroof will not protect from them. with the second half added next year i will be fine.

Got great news this week, the big firm is rolling into the quarry again, border project starts over after a delay. still have 2 month left of the dryseason, so they want to extract around 80k m3 in 2 month, it will be CRAZY!! 

teakwood

Well today was the last day on the deadline and i had a hard time all week to find a tandem truck. finally had a guy promise me to be here today and off we went to get the lumber, was a long day but everything went smooth.  :thumbsup:

filled the new shed with all the old lumber i could to free up space in the big building
IMG_20240313_175313.jpg
pretty empty
IMG_20240312_135104.jpg
as i payed per trip i made sure to make them worth  ffcheesy
IMG_20240315_123531.jpg

what a mess, tomorrow we start organizing 
IMG_20240315_173435.jpg

Resonator

I'd say you got your money's worth with what that old Mack could haul.  ffcheesy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

Happy for you re: the quarry news.
Business is good!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

cutterboy

Quote from: teakwood on March 15, 2024, 09:48:33 PMwhat a mess, tomorrow we start organizing
IMG_20240315_173435.jpg

I'd like to have that mess in my barn!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

customsawyer

Great to see a plan come together and things working out for you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Firewoodjoe

I bet the truck road a little smoother on its way 😆 

nativewolf

So where is the next building going now that the rest of the quarry is spoken for?  Are they leaving a nice level spot for kilns?
Liking Walnut

teakwood

headscratch headscratch There is just no brake with you Wyatt!  ffcheesy  No more buildings, i'm definitively good for now with the storage area i have. tomorrow they will bring the gate and then the build is complete. and i'm most certainly don't need another kiln, the one i have is turned off since 2 month because i can't keep up with sawing and all the other tasks around the businesses.

Men has Costa Rica become expensive, i'm spending about 15k on this small build only in materials, not including the lumber or my working hours!

hacknchop

You certainly deserve a chance to enjoy working with what you have before you convince yourself you need more,I have enjoyed your journey thank you for sharing it with us.
Often wrong never indoubt

teakwood

Thanks, i do my best  ffcheesy

Installed the gate, it will look great when i finish it up with some teak boards.

The old guy sitting there is the owner of the precision metal shop, he is 78 years old and let me tell you, he is a walking encyclopedia around all topics involving metal, welding, machines,... you need a new piston, bushing, pinon you name it, go to Jorge. I can't even count the times he has saved my butt with a quick fix to keep on going. As he is a calm guy with no hurry he always fights me because i always need things done quickly because i don't have patience and we get in each others hair, there is no winning with him. But dang did i learn some things from him the last 20 years. Next fight will be when i go to him for the bill on this gate, probably 2500$ because he is proud of his work ffcheesy , he used 2x4" by 1/4" galvanized steel  :uhoh:  The hinges are nice though, he did a bronze bushing insert with a grease nipple. You can open this 500kg/ 1100lbs gate with one finger  
IMG_20240320_105543.jpgIMG_20240321_180711.jpgIMG_20240321_180726.jpgIMG_20240321_085833.jpg

Magicman

Quality begets quality and you are very deserving Sir.  :thumbsup:

That is a Honking Nice Entrance.  ffsmiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

The gate is made of 2x4" galvanized steel, 1/4" thick?   :thumbsup:
Very, very secure. 
When you lock up at night, you'll know that everything will still be there in the morning!
You and your 'metal mentor' do very good work.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

I smile at your progress. It reminds me of when WDH would show up at my place, while I was still in the growing stage. Not that I have quit growing, just at a slower pace.
Y'all do mighty fine work, and should be proud.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

teakwood

Need stickers!!??  ffcheesy

IMG_20240322_152433.jpg

@cutterboy  Now it's organized!
IMG_20240322_152529.jpg

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!! "GIANT SMILYFACE" LOL
IMG_20240323_070347.jpg

doc henderson

Yes please.  I would like a pallet full please.  I think I can glue them back together.  might build me a sailboat!  ffcheesy      surfer-smiley :thinking2: @tule peak timber 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

Almost done with the installation of the crusher line.
IMG_20240326_163359.jpg

These fotos where made before they rolled in with the machines, very cool to see the quarry from a bird view.  I will do another clearcut above the green area
IMG-20240326-WA0030.jpgIMG-20240326-WA0031.jpgIMG-20240326-WA0032.jpg

Magicman

I am assuming that they are taking manageable layers so after it is taken down to the level where the crusher is, will they begin another layer deeper.  I suppose that I am wondering how deep your recoverable stone goes.  Maybe to China?  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

maybe tunnel to the southern US so I can get my pallet of Teak.   :snowball:   It will make it easier to get stuff from the US as well.  ffcheesy   looks great!

Thank You Sponsors!