iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl saw won't oil

Started by Rob123, August 19, 2009, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob123

I just acquired a Stihl 020av and it had not been used in a number of years.  I put in some gas and oil, and it started right up and ran nice, but the chain doesn't seem to be oiling.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

sablatnic

It could the worm gear behind the clutch. You will have to remove the clutch to check it.

Rocky_J

If it hasn't been run in many years, it might just be sludged up. Try putting some diesel fuel (or even gas) in the oil tank to see if it flushes out the oiler. If not then pull it apart and see what's up.

Al_Smith

That oiling problem might have been the reason the saw was parked to begin with .That lube oil can get pretty thick though if it has sat a long time .

sprucebunny

My investigations say that any saw smaller than a MS210 has a siphon type oiler; not a real pump. ...I don't know how the older saw numbering system compares.....
Use a vacume cleaner on it to ( hopefully ) get it going or try pressure-izing the oil tank with your hand>> Warning this can get messy  ;D .

I have 3 of the MS180 and recently bought a MS210 because I was so tired of oiling problems
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Rob123

Thanks for the input.  I guess I need to play around with it a little more.  I'm trying to avoid having to take it in to the shop!  The saw was left in my sister's garage by her ex-husband with some other things.  I am pretty sure it ran fine when he used it last, but she's never used it, so it has been a couple years.  I was actually amazed that it started up and ran as easy and nice as it did.  Now I just need to get the chain to oil and we'll be all set!

Rocky_J

Ask Al Smith if the oiler adjustment screw is in the same place as the newer style 020T. The 020 has always been a 'pro' model saw with better quality and pro features shared with the bigger saws such as an adjustable oiler. It might just be turned down all the way.

Al_Smith

I had to look up the 020AV model .I don't have one myself .

It looks like a standard Sthl piston type pump which is driven from the clutch drum by way of nylon gears .This looks to be under a cover .

A normal Stihl pump is adjusted by turning a scew on the end of the pump which limits the stroke of the pump piston which is also  spinning.The end of that shaft has a flat milled into it which using a comibation of in and out movement plus rotation moves the oil .

I would assume it's adjustable but I'm sorry to say I'm not really sure where the adjustment is . On the 020T and Ms 200T of course there is an adjusting screw under the cover accessable from the top but the 020 av IPL doesn't reflect that as far as I can see .

Hilltop366

Did you try it with the bar & chain off ?

RSteiner

Quote from: Hilltop366 on August 19, 2009, 10:08:38 PM
Did you try it with the bar & chain off ?

This happened to a friend of mine saw he said the oiler was not working.  The first thing I did was take off the bar and chain and start the saw.  The oil started to flow.  The little feed hole through the bar had a plug of stuff in it after I removed it and cleaned the bar groove everything was back to normal.

Randy
Randy

Magicman

ATF is a good fluid to flush with if there is a crud build up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Yes there is a lot of truth to having the oil hole in the bar get plugged and it won't oil .Oil soaked fine chips in the bar groove can set  up amount like concrete given enough time .

Fact I have an old antique Mac geardrive that has just such a thing that I've yet to fix .While I'm thinking about I might just trot out to the shed and do that while i'm thinking about it .About a ten minute job .

Al_Smith

well I miscalculated because it took about a half hour to get the old saw to oil  instead of ten minutes .Oils like a charm now .Further more the old duffer made in 1966 started on 4 pulls after not running since early May . 8)

Rocky_J

Well if you didn't waste so much time goofing off and walking back and forth to the beer fridge....  ::)

Al_Smith

Actually I didn't pop a top before I fixed it .It took a while just to find the stupid thing to work on it . :D

Oh say I did look at an 011 when I was in the shed but I couldn't find an oiler adjustment on it either .I dunno maybe they made some Stihls with non adjustable oilers . ???

sablatnic

You won't have to look at the 011 for an adjustment screw, it hasn't got any. And more often than not it doesn't oil at all. It has the same type of oiler as the old hobby mcCulloch saws. The 020 has a "real" geardriven pump, and I have seen several bad gear drives, and since it is fast to check that, that is normally where I start looking. Can'  remember, if it is adjustable, but it might be from the buttom of the saw. But take care. It is a lightly built saw, that doesn't like being abused. To remove the clutch you will have to lock the shaft. I normally use a length of starter cord inserted through the hole for the plug. Turn the engine till the piston just closes the ports, insert as much cord as possible, and unscrew the clutch. It has lefthand threads. Pull out the clutch drum, and remove the cowers, and the drive is ready to be removed. If it is ok, remove the pump aswell, and check, if it is "frozen". If it is ok, pull out the tube and filter and check. Please feel free to call again. (^_^)

Thank You Sponsors!