iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 manual vs high hour lt70 ?

Started by Hayseed, November 16, 2019, 07:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayseed

Hello. I looking at 2 different  mills to purchase for my farm and personal use.  I have some big timber 36'+. I can purchase a low hour almost new manual lt40 gas. Or I have found a high  hour lt70. My question is the lt70 to much for a one man to operate? Is the lt70 up keep cost to high to justify buy even for a good purchase price?

Stephen1

Buy all the hyrdraulics you can afford, especially when you mention big logs. You will never regret the hydraulics. I would want to see the how well the 70 is sawing and if it is sawing nice lumber It will be worth it. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SawyerTed

If the LT 70 is within budget AND those are the only two choices, go with the LT70.  There's enough manual work around a hydraulic mill to satisfy my desire for hard work. 

I can't imagine there would be much price difference between the used LT 70 and a new LT40 Super Hydraulic mill.  But I've been wrong before. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

E-Tex

Quote from: SawyerTed on November 16, 2019, 07:28:53 AM
If the LT 70 is within budget AND those are the only two choices, go with the LT70.  There's enough manual work around a hydraulic mill to satisfy my desire for hard work.

I can't imagine there would be much price difference between the used LT 70 and a new LT40 Super Hydraulic mill.  But I've been wrong before.
right on!!  thumbs-up
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Southside

The hydraulic issue Ted mentions is spot on. However, you need to know a bit more about the 70 first. What engine does it have on it? If it's a Cat has it had the head gasket and crank bearing upgrade done on it?  If not then plan on both right off to keep the engine running. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Go with hydraulic.  Make sure the LT70 is up to snuff, as the others have mentioned.  Repairs on 70's can get real expensive.  If a nearly new (slightly used ) LT40 manual is in you budget, and money is tight, then an basic LT40 hydraulic may be close enough $$ and they are on sale now.  I had one for years and it was a workhorse.  I just noticed WM doesn't even sell LT40 manaul mills now. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Hayseed

I do know the lt70 has a Perkins diesel with 7000 hours. Mill was served by Woodmizer about a year ago. Thanks for your opinions.

richhiway

If you check my posts you will see how much work the LT 40 manual adds in my videos. It adds a lot of walking! While you are walking back and forth you are not sawing. On the other hand I work alone. If you have a helper you would save a lot of walking around the mill. 
 If you are cutting for yourself and not for production the manual mill works just fine. The log turner winch can turn any log the mill can handle with ease.
The simple set is a real time saver if it has it.

Seven thousand hours is a lot. A diesel engine that is well taken care of could go two or three times that. But bearings, bushings and wear parts would start showing wear and tear. Alternators, water pumps,fuel pumps,hydraulic pumps and cyls, etc. Personally I'd go for the low hours, you could always upgrade the 40 with hyds. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

thecfarm

There was some guy that stopped into our greenhouse business many years ago. He had a wm hyd mill. I showed him my manual Thomas mill. He was thinking about selling his wm hyd mill. He only used it,like I used mine. When he wanted to build something. He said every time I go to saw with it,I have to fix something on it. It's not used enough to make all of it worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Quote from: Hayseed on November 16, 2019, 09:41:35 AMI do know the lt70 has a Perkins diesel with 7000 hours

It is a true Perkins or one of the "Perka-pillars"?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hayseed

Not sure if true Perkins. The pictures I've seen of it has a small Perkins sticker on valve cover . I've not seen the lt70 yet only pictures. I have ran the manual lt40. It is practically new.

Sixacresand

Go with what Yellowhammer said.  Either way, I hope you have a reliable FEL tractor or fork lift to go with it.    
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

customsawyer

I would lean towards the 70. Get the serial number and give WM a call. They can tell you what all has been done to it. One of my LT 70s has 14,000 hours on it and it's still cutting regular. I'm not a fan of the Cat/Perkins engines but they will work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on November 16, 2019, 08:43:16 PMHe said every time I go to saw with it,I have to fix something on it.
You can get ahead on the maintenance if you put your mind to it. And if you like having something to keep ahead of, it can be fun. 

So long as the engine keeps going and the apocalypse keeps getting put off,  you should be able to saw a huge amount of lumber. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

..............kkfjoooooooooooo///////////////////

Sorry cat just walked across the keyboard................/////////////////
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

78NHTFY

Hayseed--my 2ยข's:  go with the manual LT40.  
1.  Practically new means it won't break down, won't need fixing for years.  I bought one 15 yrs ago & it starts every time and is always ready for me when I want to use it = reliable every time!  
2.  With occasional use, you can go at your own speed, you don't need hydraulics.  Plus you're young!
3.  As a farmer, you're used to fixing stuff so that would push you toward the LT 70, BUT, farmers never have enough time to get everything done, so, back to the LT 40.
4.  A buddy sawyer taught me how to saw on my LT 40; he owns an LT 70.  His mill requires A LOT of maintenance.  To put it gently, he uses 4 letter words much more frequently than I do.  

Whatever you decide, you will make a good decision with Woodmizer.  
All the best, Rob    
If you have time, you win....

Hayseed

78  I feel like you know me. You just described me to the letter.

btulloh

Good deal on used lt70 posted in the for sale section below. It's a bit of a drive for you, but there's nothing like a nice road trip.

Good luck with whichever mill you decide on.

Correction:  it's an lt40 super hydraulic. 
HM126

YellowHammer

I'm not sure you could process a 36" inch plus log on an LT40 manual.  If so, that would be the limit.  I had an LT40 hydraulic, and big logs such as that required me to use both the claw turner, which is hand winch operated on the manual mill, as well as the hydraulic two plane clamp for which the LT40 manual doesn't have an equivalent. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 18, 2019, 10:35:22 PM
I'm not sure you could process a 36" inch plus log on an LT40 manual.  If so, that would be the limit.  I had an LT40 hydraulic, and big logs such as that required me to use both the claw turner, which is hand winch operated on the manual mill, as well as the hydraulic two plane clamp for which the LT40 manual doesn't have an equivalent.
I agree or you need to get the front end loader in to help. I also find my new LT40HD is not as strong as my old 1993 LT40HD. They are both rated for the same weights, the old one was just stronger.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Beavertooth

I have used a LT40 manual and have had a LT70 for the last 12 years with no engine trouble 4600+ hrs. Has the 62 perkins on it with the metal head gasket. The ones with the fiber head gasket are the ones that gave the trouble.  I assure you if you start trying to handle 36" logs manualy you will regret it instantly. Unless you just like working your tale off and have unlimited time to spare.  :) 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Thank You Sponsors!