iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Oak Logs

Started by handhewn, December 04, 2020, 10:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handhewn

Myself and the hired neighbor kid picking up some black oak logs way down in a deep canyon. Dead stander oak so some degrade but also some great stuff for window/door casings in my cabin.

btulloh

Interesting logs. Can't wait to see what you saw out of those. 

Looks like you got some new trucks for the job.  ;)
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Hey - don't pick on those trucks. I bet they are paid for. Is yours? :D

Good looking logs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tacotodd

All of MY stuff is paid for. The wife's, not so much. She uses her stuff for her job. They are a different set of circumstances. She relies upon it to carry the mail and it HAS to be reliable. 
Trying harder everyday.

handhewn

Already sawed them. Got all the 2" X 12" stair treads for interior stairs and approx. 500 bd ft of flooring for the cabin.

thecfarm

I do hope pictures of the cabin will be coming.
Nice trucks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skip

Like the logs very much. LOVE the iron . :)

btulloh

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 04, 2020, 11:07:33 PM
  Hey - don't pick on those trucks. I bet they are paid for. Is yours? :D

Good looking logs.
:D :D
Love the trucks! They are awesome! Like to hear about them.  
HM126

Southside

From the looks of that country your truck could use a center oscillation joint!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

@tule peak timber  know you've been busy but thought you'd like this pics of another Californian working with salvage logs.
Liking Walnut

handhewn

If you like these pictures, look at topic "tree to ceiling", from Dec 1st postings herein. I've been sawing lumber for forty years for this long term project on my property  bordering the ISHI wilderness. Very hard to get to so I use older trucks that don't mind scratches etc. I'll put in more pictures but as you know, not easy to post pictures here. I have to get my multi-engine flight instructor wife to do it for me as the last two brain cells I have are busy fighting.

Tacotodd

As long as they are fighting "the good fight" then NO PROBLEM!!!!!
Trying harder everyday.

Iwawoodwork

any pictures of your sawmill?  The old military trucks are great. Back in the  middle 70's my brother built a 1943 1 ton pickup using  parts from a power wagon panel (ambulance?)of the same vintage, great old truck but slow.  

handhewn

Just moved my 60" circular to property I live on. Not quite set up yet, close. I can't wait to send pictures of hyd. log turner; it is amazing. But I can't get pictures until I fire mill up!

Walnut Beast

Wow that's a serious setup. What kinda hp runs that. Is there a name of that mill or is it home grown 

mike_belben

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 05, 2020, 01:12:38 PM
What kinda hp runs that.
All the horsepowers.  Serious horsetorques.
;D

[I hope its an 8v71 just to keep neighbors away]
Praise The Lord

handhewn

Powered by GM diesel 671. Don't know horsepower. There are many extras you can't see. All built by the best fabricator I have ever known, at the direction of "Old Gus" who was 85 plus when I met him in the late 70s. Old Gus had been running sawmills since back in the steam days. He'd been foreman in several major mills on the West Coast. That man really knew mills. Between them a very nice mill resulted. Particularly the hyd. log turner. I have seen nothing on the internet that comes close. I can't take video until I fire up the mill. This "mobile" mill is approx. 50 feet long which would make it hard to maneuver in the woods but for the hydraulic rear duel axle steering. There is a nice 3 blade edger that takes 4" slabs. I can load more than a days sawing on the hyd. live deck. I ran this mill for about half an hour some years back but not for another ten or fifteen years before that. I made my living with that mill for many years, a long time ago. Bout time I fired the old girl up again. I miss sawing.

mike_belben

In the woods?

No no no.  Art like that goes on the front lawn. What a beauty.

Love it.
Praise The Lord

handhewn

I forgot to mention, it all folds up (minus live deck) for street legal. It cuts to 24'. sawdust collection blows dust into truck. Powered outfeed. At one time this mill almost got sold (until I found out) for scrap for $500.

btulloh

That would have been a tragedy. Glad you rescued it from the torch. 
HM126

Skip

Them screaming Detroits make head hurt just 'thinking'  about hearing em'  >:(

Tacotodd

B b b b, the power to weight is what makes it what it is!
Trying harder everyday.

moodnacreek

Really like the trucks. The logs I would not saw unless that was all I had.

barbender

Just curious, why is that Moodnacreek? With no personal experience with it, I thought a fixed power source is somewhere a Detroit would work well. At the local threshing show, they had a 471 running a circle mill. They had the exhaust ran up about 15' I think, I didn't even realize it was a Jimmy until I saw it belted up to the mill.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on December 05, 2020, 07:21:19 PM
Just curious, why is that Moodnacreek? With no personal experience with it, I thought a fixed power source is somewhere a Detroit would work well. At the local threshing show, they had a 471 running a circle mill. They had the exhaust ran up about 15' I think, I didn't even realize it was a Jimmy until I saw it belted up to the mill.
Don't understand your Question. The only Jimmy I had was a 4-53 and they are much louder than a 71 even with a big muffler and high stack. A lot of that racket comes off the bell housing area. When I got my 53 a guy told me to get some styro foam and plywood.

Thank You Sponsors!