iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with plans......

Started by Mr Mom, August 17, 2006, 09:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

Minnesota_boy...I understand what you are saying. I dont count my time as lost beacuse i dont plan on doing milling full time and even if i bought a new one i would have to mill a bunch of wood to get good enough to be able to charge people money to cut lumber for them.

Willknot...I know what you are saying about the prices for mills.I dont have a problem with what they charge for them and if that is what they need to stay in the game then it is fine with me. This is why i asked if anyone had plans.
     I wish i was in your shoes and have a metal shop at my disposal.
     Good luck on your first milling. We need pictures to see that you did mill some lumber :) :).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Dan_Shade

i really believe you can build a base-line manual model that's actually worth a crap for a few grand, whereas the cheapest "usable" models are now like $3500....

you can buy a 25hp engine, and trailer tires, and make a frame for almost that....  while using my Oscar 28 today, it was pounding through my head, simply because those small mills just don't have the production capability.  I don't mind the manual part, I do mind the slow, under powered, vibrating part.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jrokusek

Quote from: Mr Mom on August 18, 2006, 04:31:12 PM
     jrokusek...well i am not a heck of a fabricator i am just a hack at fabricating :) :) :).
   Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Aw shoot - don't let that stop you!  There's a guy on this forum that used a CB400A Honda motorcycle engine with an auto transmission, pallet racking and various other misc parts and he has a working machine.  Seems to cut just fine.  Don't let being a hack stop you!  I'm nothing more than a redneck hack who gets to wear a tie to work.   ;)

Here's the thread I'm thinking of:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11591.0

Mr Mom

jrokusek...A tie >:( >:( >:( i only were them once or twice a year :) :) :). Well i am going to my dads today to see what parts i can find over there.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

dad2nine

Gary, I took a look at your website real nice operation you got there. Very clean and organized web site too.

Modat22

If you enjoy building stuff don't let the time you spend on it bother you. I make little wooden projects all the time and wouldn't dream charging what I think My time is worth. If I'm working for myself I'd give myself one heck of a discount ;D

Just give yourself a very flexible building schedule, I made the mistake of setting completion times and gave up on those. Now I'm not worrying about when I'm 100 percent complete because it ain't ever gonna be 100 percent complete. I'll probably always come up with something else to put on there. Just the other day I was wondering where I was gonna put bed and coffee maker.
remember man that thy are dust.

Mr Mom

Modat22...I have decided to build my mill.
     My time line is done by spring and if i dont then i dont.
     My schedule is work on it when my wife says i can. I asked the neighbor if i could use his garage beacuse the little white stuff will be flying here soon. He said that i could.
     For the next few months i will be geting parts and when it is nasty outside i will start building.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Thank You Sponsors!