iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser engraving

Started by doc henderson, March 02, 2019, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

Those are beautiful 21!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

Tried my first glassware on the Co2 and what a difference over the blue diodes.  Nice frosted finish without chunks shattered out

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

did you use and cermark or anything?

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on March 06, 2023, 07:50:04 PM
did you use and cermark or anything?
Not yet. I have been waiting for it to warm up so I can spray it outside. Probably be a couple weeks. It seems to have hazardous fumes.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

I think it is water based clay, that turns to glass when heated by the laser.  it is good for ceramic or metal.  i can be used on glass.  the unheated base washes off with water.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

A batch of slate coasters to go with the glasses. 

Then my wife  is making  sister dolls and I got the job to make miniature eyeglasses and sunglasses from acrylic using the laser and my hot wire bender. 

<br
>

Lasers  are addictive. 

Crusarius

I love the glasses. that really sets those apart from everyone else. Nice job.

doc henderson

very nice idea.  love the dolls.  they look great and the glasses and glasses.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on March 24, 2023, 10:33:42 AM
very nice idea.  love the dolls.  they look great and the glasses and glasses.
Quote from: Crusarius on March 24, 2023, 10:01:06 AM
I love the glasses. that really sets those apart from everyone else. Nice job.

Thanks. My wife made the first doll and it didn't look right to me without her glasses and no way to stand it up to display.  Went down in the shop and designed a simple walnut stand and a feature that was easy to crochet into the body to hold them up. Next I did a quick prototype of glasses to try on hamlet

She liked them and wanted the bigger ones made. I had no large sheets of cast colored acrylic to cut them from and she said order some and I will pay for it. Well that was an open statement so I took advantage and ordered a (20) 12 x 12 sheet colored cast assortment.  She was a little  surprised when I told her she owed me $150.00 for the 2 pair of glasses 😲.  Only take a couple seconds to cut and easy to modify.  Working on some Mr potato head type parts to look like Easter bunnies with some of the extra sheets for the grandkids. What a rabbit hole these lasers send you down. 

21incher

Well this isn't done with a laser but it's just as much fun. Started to play with sublimination to eventually bring color into my lazered parts. Started  by converting an EcoTank printer with different  ink and then the fun Started

Then I print the artwork on a special paper

Once it's printed I use my HTV heat presses to apply. The heat converts the ink to a gas that fuses to certain surfaces.  Polyester works best.

This is the final product. Wish the photos didn't  lose sharpness when uploaded here. An aluminum business card that started out white. I use uv stabil ink so they shouldn't fade. Was able to use a wood grain background but it could be anything.  Also works on fabrics and special blanks

This is a mouse pad made from one of my garden photos. Just amazing  how easy it is to add photos to items. Working on adding a layer of polyester to wood blanks so I can add photos and then cut color jigsaw puzzles.  Another fun rabbit hole. And yes my wife told me I had a spelling error after  making  16 cards. Next time I will have her proof read first. Brain fog is a terrible  thing.

21incher

New toy. 55 watt Co2 with a power feeder. Can make signs up to about 20 inches x 10 ft with the rollers I have. Mostly for thinner stock and plywood up to 14mm thick. Can also map out and engrave 3d parts.

This one is my first test at 60" x 11". With the cost of plywood have to learn on smaller ones. Found multiply European poplar plywood that is equivalent of baltic birch but softer. Just have to make a walnut frame for it next.

dougtrr2

Question for you laser engravers.  I will be making a keepsake box out of walnut.  The lady I am making it for has a friend with a laser engraver.  I am planning on giving her the top before the box is assembled.  I also thought I would include a practice piece of the same size.  My question is,  I plan on using a piece of curly walnut for the top, does the practice piece need to be curly walnut as well?  Or to put it another way, does straight grain walnut engrave differently than curly walnut?

Doug in SW IA

doc henderson

the co2 laser uses gray scale for pictures, and for text it depends on the settings.  the color change depends on how hot or deep the laser burns.  there is contrast and a range of "brown" that is used to make a picture/photo with a wide range.  Walnut is already dark brown so there is a limited range of color density in the dark brown range.  so a photo would not work well on walnut.  I have made one plaque with a very complex grain and even text can be hard to read.  I worked on using colored wax to make it easier to read.  you almost have to get the light just right to read it.  on straight grained walnut it is easier as the background is more uniform do the texture of the text show better.  but is still all very dark.  If you make the top thicker than needed, you can engrave a practice burn and then plane or sand it off and re- engrave the final product.  do you have a pic of the top?  I will try to get photos of the two samples I am seeing in my mind for you later.

final answer, make the practice piece the same type wood, or the actual piece if it is not done yet.  

21incher

Exact samples are best. Like Doc, I will sometimes start with a thicker part and if not happy with the first result will run it through the thickness sander and try again. If it is good I will remove stock from the backside. A lot will depend on the artwork file and the experience the laser guy has at pre editing files to be optimum for lasers. Text files are simple but pictures are a challenge on dark woods. Also the laser he uses will make a difference. I find my Diode lasers have better results on walnut then my co2 machines. The diodes burn cooler and darker where the co2 burn deeper and lighter. I have seen fiber lasers do amazing work on dark woods but have not tried one yet. I would actually talk to the laser guy and work through the details with him because there are many games you can play for a special piece but it may take a couple samples to get your approval. Straight grain gives a more uniform engraving result on most lasers. Curly done right is amazing.  

Crusarius

This is done using a 5 watt diode laser. If you look closely the darkness / color changes at the different grains and densities. Once you find a happy medium it actually engraves really well with the diode laser. I do not have any experience with CO2 other than what 21 already mentioned. 

doc henderson

bridge we rebuilt in Colorado from 20 feet to 36 feet with approaches at each end color photo

same pic on soft maple.

plaque on fairly straight grained walnut.

wilder grain live edge walnut with a saying for my wife who is a runner, with gold rub-n-buff in the engraving to highlight it.  could barely read it without straining and moving to get the light just right without the rub-n-buff.  I will remake it as she loves it and I do not like it with the rub-n-buff either as it was rough wood and it was taken up there also.  available online or at arts and craft stores.

couple of pics of one of our vets getting ready for a reunion in October.  ERC and soft maple.  same pic.  note the grain coming through.  it can add such as the wild grain as part of the water or the knots in the cedar not adding to the pic but showing the rustic nature of the piece.  @gspren

21incher

Trying to imitate mother nature and make fossils.  Pretty  cool to be able to map irregular surfaces and have the laser engrave them. Lots of stones in the back yard to practice on 😉.
xTool P2 Rocks. Mapping And Engraving Curved Surfaces Making Fossil And Garden Stones - YouTube

doc henderson

doc henderson

Neighbor girl Lin wants to do graphic design, so i had her come help make about 30 charcuterie boards.

doc henderson

proud recipient in the cath lab.  Chief of Staff is a 6 year term.  pre, cos, post are 2 years each.  you deal with any problems with the Providers at your site.  I am now COS.

doc henderson

an ED doc on his way to an annual fishing trip with buddies.  topographical map of the area of the Platte River.  he taught wilderness survival in the Airforce, a lifetime or so ago.

21incher

doc henderson

woop woop! very cool and you make it look easy.
working on these for this weekend.  getting old.  class reunion.

21incher

It's very easy when I just buy the artwork and cut it. These consumer lasers are very easy to use and quick for up to about1/2 inch acrylic. Looking at a split fiber laser for things like coasters and business cards now. They will do a coaster like that in less then 10 seconds and color engraving on stainless. Just too much fun. 

21incher

Well I just got the latest and greatest diode laser from China and I can't believe how far they have taken the diode lasers. Totally plug and play with AI for photos.  Resawed a bunch of cherry, walnut,  and ash to get started on x-mas gifts. 

I can't imagine what's next. I bet metal cutting desktop aren't far off.

Thank You Sponsors!