iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help, which epoxy for a deep pour?

Started by Brad_bb, October 21, 2020, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

In the last few years, I've seen Ecopoxy and Chill epoxy (from Canadian woodworks channel) used for deep pours.  I did a google search, and it seems all that comes up are ADs for the latest comers to the party who pay for ads.  Ecopoxy or Chill, or any other brand I've heard of don't even come up in a google search.  

I need to fill 1.5"  thick and I want to do it in one shot.  Any recommendations?  My Ash T&G is being installed and we've pulled 10 or so boards that have voids, bark inclusions etc and I want to fill them so we can use the boards.   I've done a lot of filling of the smaller voids with West Systems, which I've used for years.  But now I'm down to the bigger voids and West systems can only be poured 1/8-1/4" and I'm not up for all that mixing and pouring.

Question 2.  I'm using some scrap T&G cutoffs and wrapping them with red sealing tape and inserting them in the tongue or groove respectively when a void intrudes into them.  I've seen a caulk or sealant used in river table molds to act as dams.  What caulk/sealant is best for this?  
Question 3. Do I need to spray mold release on the tuck/sealing tape in the tongue or groove? If so, what mold release to use?
Thanks.  Once I get the epoxy and pour, pics will follow.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

I have been using total boat.  they have low viscosity for punky stuff, regular, bar top and deep pour.  I have used all but the deep pour stuff.  lots of video, and i get mine via amazon.  are you going to tint or color it.  you can add sawdust and other things as well.  there are tricks in the videos on you tube.  @tule peak timber uses it daily so lets see what he has to say.  I am not sure what you are fillin but sounds like it may involve the tongue and or groove.  any pics?  I think the tape will pull off, if it does not get fully enveloped in epoxy.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Downstream

I have not done any single deep pours myself so no comment on that.  I have used plumbers putty as sealer to build dams in oddly shaped areas with success in the past.  You can squeeze it into almost any void and it sticks well.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Brad_bb

One thing I really like about West Systems is the pumps.  No measuring.  I don't see that for the totalboat deep pour or any other deep pour so far.  I guess they figure you're going to be pouring a large quantity and less often so use a measuring paint mixing cup?

doc henderson

they either send the pumps for the regular epoxy (all diff. volumes) if pours.  the others come with calibrated quart cups with marks for all the different ratios.  and mixing sticks.

alan gage

I much prefer mixing epoxy by weight rather than volume. The ratio will be a little different by weight than volume but almost all the manufacturers will give the weight ratio somewhere in their data sheet. I've found that to be the easiest and most consistent way to mix any pot size. I've never quite trusted the pumps, especially when trying to do 1/2 or 1/4 pumps on small batches.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Brad_bb

Oh no, you never try to do a 1/2 or 1/4 pump.  That will never be accurate.  Full pumps only.  With the west systems, one pump of each nets enough epoxy for about the size of a golf ball, maybe a bit less.  Whenever you use pumps, you must do full pumps.  

I'm really surprised more on this board aren't using deep pour epoxy.  I went ahead and ordered some Exopoxy flowcast.  We'll see how it goes.

boonesyard

Brad,

We've used Ecopoxy Flowcast for all of our deep pours, successfully. We've been ordering ours through an outfit out of Idaho, Woodlab. Very nice people to deal with. 

Not sure how much material you need, but they have different quantities for order. Problem is, like everything right now, the supply chain is severely strained and they are out of a number of the kits. Good luck 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

doc henderson

woud it be easier to pour in place, after the floor is installed?  also does it need to be clear?  can you use some sawdust from the flooring, or add saw dust for a more textured look, if this needs to look nice.

Brad_bb

These T&G boards are for the walls and stall partitions and doors.  I do want this clear.  I'll post some pics in the coming week when I get set to pour them.

doc henderson

here is a small pour with actual turquois rock impregnated.  bench.  ERC.

Thank You Sponsors!