iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

It is all the way up to -6 right now.  Had to cut a new hole in the pond for the cows this morning.  The hole I was keeping open had frozen all the way down to the dirt, so needed to move a little farther off the bank.  Took a while with an ax and a bar, but got a piece of ice out of the hole, about 10" thick. Now they are forecasting snow for a couple days.  We already have a good half inch.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

firefighter ontheside

I used to plug my 7.3 powerstroke in when it was below 30.  I don't plug this new 6.7 unless its below 0 and even then its not necessary.  I started the thing with no trouble in MN 3 years ago when it was -17.  That may not be a great idea to do often though.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tacotodd

FFOTS, I would think that 6.7 would do sorta okay as long as the entire electrical system was up to snuff.
Trying harder everyday.

chevytaHOE5674

My 7.3 will start down to -15° without much issue. Even though it will do it i prefer to plug it in as its much easier on everything. As a part-time equipment/diesel mechanic I will say just because it will start unplugged doesn't mean you should.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Tacotodd on February 15, 2021, 02:29:16 PM
FFOTS, I would think that 6.7 would do sorta okay as long as the entire electrical system was up to snuff.
I put new batteries in late fall, because I didn't want to risk another winter on the original batteries.  I usually plan on new batteries every other year, so I was pushing it already.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tacotodd

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 15, 2021, 03:09:55 PM
Quote from: Tacotodd on February 15, 2021, 02:29:16 PM
I put new batteries in late fall, because I didn't want to risk another winter on the original batteries.  I usually plan on new batteries every other year, so I was pushing it already.

😇 Good call.
Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

Tractor is running.  I used up all the juice in the battery and it just about started and then I was out of juice.  Had to jump it off the truck.  Sputtered a few times and then came to life.  Now to change the box blade for the grader blade and remove some snow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

The challenges of winter. ;) 

Latest report is 6-8" snow from tonight and throughout the day tomorrow.

The yard ice was melting some today, while the sun was out. By mid afternoon the sun was gone. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

We finally ended up with a measured (by me) 5&3/4". All smiles 😁 Now, if I was only young and had a sled again....
Trying harder everyday.

Sedgehammer

Get this.
Truck started this mornin. Took it for a short spin. Had to go to physical therapy fir my right shoulder @ 1. Started the truck 10 mins before I left. Drove the same drive i did this mornin. Died at the end of our private road. Started it, turned around and just made it to my yard. It has 3/4 gallon tank, so about 22 gallons. Diesel service regular 1 oz per 3 gallons when below zero.  I put in  enough fir 3 tank fulls. Plus I changed all 3 filters. Poured in 100% howes in all 3 filters, plus poured on a full bottle of howes last friday. 
Nice......
Necessity is the engine of drive

firefighter ontheside

Well thats not fun.  Hope it gets cleared up.
Several years ago I was leaving CO to come home from skiing and my truck started sputtering on I 70 in the mountains and it was -26.  I pulled over several times and it would run fine, but then when I pulled back out it would sputter and not accelerate up the mountains.  I drove that way for a while and then coming into Dillon, it just died.  Now I'm on the side of the interstate in dangerous cold with 2 kids and a truck that won't run.  After about 15 minutes it finally started and I limped into Dillon and went inside grocery store and bought some anti gel.  Go back out to put it in and realize I had left the gas cap off when I filled up earlier.  Put the anti gel in and put the cap on.  It ran fine the rest of the way home.  I'm not sure if it was gelling or just losing prime without the cap on.  That was my 6.4l powerstroke.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I plowed my driveway which is about 200 yards long, then my parents which is about 100 yards and then made two passes on my neighbors which is about 500 yards.  I wasn't cold until the neighbors drive.  That was the coldest I've been in a long time.  The temp was 2 when I was finishing and it was snowing hard.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

@firefighter ontheside Thanks. I think i got some watered down diesel. That's the only way I can remotely see that happening. won't be buying there again.

We did set a record for coldest wind-chill ever -29°

Here's what we have coming tonight and tomorrow. -13° tonight. $" to 8" tomorrow and we had a steamnado today. Oh, 60° on the 24th..... That's why I like it here. Cold only lasts for a week or so typically.

Runningalucas

Quote from: Sedgehammer on February 15, 2021, 07:40:33 PM
@firefighter ontheside Thanks. I think i got some watered down diesel. That's the only way I can remotely see that happening. won't be buying there again.

We did set a record for coldest wind-chill ever -29°

Here's what we have coming tonight and tomorrow. -13° tonight. $" to 8" tomorrow and we had a steamnado today. Oh, 60° on the 24th..... That's why I like it here. Cold only lasts for a week or so typically.

*DanG, that's cold. I'm in the Northern Rockies, right at Idaho/Montana border, and the coldest it's gotten here in the last couple decades is usually -3 in a blue moon, and that was a while back.  Every year of course is cold, and snow; that's guaranteed, but it's usually 'steady'.  

On that note, today in town we got about 6" of snow, and up at the farm around 9"s.  Temps holding under freezing; so this will be here for a while.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Sedgehammer

@Runningalucas with you being on the western side of the continental divide i think that your weather is still influenced by the pacific temperature moderation and you don't get the polar vortexes that we're susceptible too. 

Runningalucas

Quote from: Sedgehammer on February 15, 2021, 11:06:35 PM
@Runningalucas with you being on the western side of the continental divide i think that your weather is still influenced by the pacific temperature moderation and you don't get the polar vortexes that we're susceptible too.
Generally correct, We get a 'real' four seasons here; each somewhat predictable.  Winter though this year has been mild, and and little snow; at least until now. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

thecfarm

I have 20° and at this time a very light snow. Might change over to freezing rain?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Same up here, I heard possible freezing rain mixed in to causing thunder storms. :o

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmfromkansas

Woke up early this morning, and the temperature is an actual -15,  thought yesterday was supposed to be the coldest morning. Hope the water lines are not frozen up.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

LeeB

- 13° here this morning in North Arkansas. It's just not supposed to be that cold here. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

What surprises the heck out of me is that it has never dropped below 5F here all winter and most of the nights have been in the 20's and 10's. Normal average is 0F here from mid Dec to end of Feb. :)

doc henderson

-17 real feel here.  my truck is going to sit for a day until it warms up a bit.  WM sold out of diesel 911.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

3 degrees here this AM. And still got lots of snow on the ground and the roads. It's always going to turn to ice on the roads. My problem today, I have a Doctors appointment and since the wife's job has to be done, she has the other 4x, my choices are to drive the little front wheel drive Honda, or my doorless Tacoma that has perfectly running 4X4 capabilities. It's also licensed and perfectly legal, but freaking cold with no doors. The doors are stashed away and perfectly safe, just buried WAAAY back in our little shed, and I do mean LITTLE! I'll probably just have to bundle up so much that I can barely work the clutch and gears. Oh well, at least I won't be walking!
Trying harder everyday.

Sedgehammer

I didn't get to sleep till 4 this mornin (pain), so I thought I'd get the low at 7 when I woke up, but only -3° now. Tee Vee says it was -16¯here. Phone says -16° also, so maybe my therm is off? Felt dam cold out though when i was outside. Coldest here in 122 years. *DanG man made global warming!!

My truck will be setting also. I looked for 911 also, all gone. I called my son in WI (use to farm) to see if he could send me some, he said they tried that on the farm and it didn't work. Then he said they look at a test done in a -25° freezer. It failed there also. There were only 2 I think that passed. I'll ask him again their names.

Here's a link to that video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gDN_6esfs&ab_channel=ProjectFarm

Stanadyne and hot shot secret were best for cold weather in this limited test. 911 failed cold test. I was surprised. 

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!